Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

That absolutely heinous "musical number" in ROTJ is the worst change in those special editions by a huge margin. Or at least it was, until the blu-ray version came out and stuck that NOOOOOOO in there. I had to go for the illegal despecialized version of that movie for that reason.

I can deal with the ending changing the music to smooth jazz instead of the yub yub song, but that opening....no.

MickD7, The906 and synrgy like this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

Lol i was joking about the max rebo movie, i would def watch gary the stormtrooper though.
    On another note i just watched Solo and really enjoyed it. The only part i didn't like was the pigeonholing of darth maul into it. The action scenes were fun, the dialogue was solid, and i liked most of the characters (except for L3 who was annoying as fuck).

3. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Magical nightmarish 70's.
    EDIT: Boba Fett makes his debut here before ESB IIRC. Also brought to you by Cocaine. Not me, them.
    Dbl Edit: No TV commercials from 1978 on this one, but that version is the money time capsule.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yeah, skip to 55 minutes. Seemed silly for him to escape when he was the only one armed. :lol: Also, love the Star Trek-style opening and closing of the cartoon. If you're tempted to watch any of the live-action parts of the video, save yourself the trouble and just don't. :rofl:

The906 likes this.
  5. The906

Magical nightmarish 70's.

Yes, only do it with the Rifftrax version. It will keep you on this planet.

6. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Watched Living Among Us last night. I'm normally pretty open when it comes to movies I hardly bitch about anything, but Christ did this movie blow. I'm a HUGE fan of found footage films (you can hold your "I don't like found footage films" comments. I'm aware that I'm in the minority there) but they really shit the bed here.

If you don't know, Living Among Us is about the world finding out that there are vampires. Understandably, they are afraid of them. The vampires claim that they're not violent and they take voluntary blood donations only. Now obviously, if that were the truth, there wouldn't be a movie. Everyone knows from the moment this film crew is assigned to interview this family of vampires that by the end of the movie, you know someone will die or be maimed.

Where to begin... Bad dialogue deliverance. There are so many "uhs and ums" during the sentences. Let me remind you this movie has John Heard. Now is he a top actor? No, but he's certainly one that I didn't expect that kind of acting from. The writing was VERY lazy. One of the main characters tries to ask the question of how is it possible to live that long as a vampire, and the vampire that John Heard is playing says something along the lines of "let's do this another time, we'll cut the interview off right there."

They vampires explain their existence boils down to science, but then cheaply cuts off that question I'm guessing because they (those who made the movie) couldn't come up with an answer. Also, they are warned not to go down into the basement. Why you ask? Because the family says there are heirlooms there that they don't want messed with. Now right off hand, if you the viewer, are skeptical about that, you're doing FAR better than the main characters are. Just plain shitty writing.

I can't recommend the movie and if for some reason you have a bizarre desire to watch terrible movies, this one will be right up your alley.

7. KnightBrolaire

If you want to watch a mockumentary kind of found footage film involving vampires, check out What We Do in the Shadows. It's hilarious

bostjan likes this.
  8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

+1

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  9. wankerness

Yeah, I made a group of friends watch that with me only a couple weeks after I saw it the first time myself. I almost never do that! I can't imagine anyone but dullards not liking it.

10. KnightBrolaire

The whole scene with viago putting down plastic sheeting and such before he sucks a woman's blood, and then proceeds to get sprayed with excessive amounts of arterial spray was hilarious. That's one of the few comedies I could watch multiple times and still really enjoy it.

11. The906

That is the funniest damn thing I've watched in years.
    Edit, I thought the room-mate issues and the Vampires vs. Werewolves as cliquey groups was awesome.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  12. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Coco

Another Pixar winner and probably my favorite of the canon since Up. It's visually stunning, the story is small and sincere, and while some of the plot and twists are predictable (it is a kids movie), they still work and hit hard. Loved it, though this hitting close to home probably affected my bias.

13. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I literally came here to say this, and agree with absolutely everything you said about it. I randomly saw it on Netflix a few days ago, and have watched it 3 times since. My son is enthralled with it, and I just absolutely love it.

14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

How old is your son ? We were gOnna watch it with our 3 year old but wasn’t sure if it’s too scary.

15. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I watched the movie with my sister's family and my 2 year old niece loved it. She was dancing all over room during the songs and paying attention to everything else.

mongey likes this.
  16. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Had a couple weeks of Soviet films.
    Solaris

Mister Designer (Gospodin Oformitel')

The Initiated (Posvyashchyonniy)

The Veldt
    - Based on a short story by Ray Bradbury. I can't recommend this one at all. If you want a soviet horror film watch Viy (вий); it's not scary but it at least it's charming.

The Legend of Surami Fortress -
    A film from the Georgian SSR. I've seen it compared to something Jodorowsky might make, but I have to admit I've never seen any of the man's films (I will be seeing Santa Sangre with my friend on Thursday!) and as such don't have a point of reference. I enjoyed it, but I don't know if I'd recommend it to most people - similar to the other Sergei Parajanov film I've seen "The Color of Pomegranates".

Also looking forward to seeing Hereditary on Friday evening. It's hard to avoid the hype, but aside from seeing a trailer for it back when I saw A Quiet Place I've avoided any further previews.

17. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Just shy of 3. Although my son is definitely the fearless type.

18. wankerness

It deals quite a bit with death, I've heard from friends with kids very different reports. It goes right over the heads of some and they just love the colors/aesthetics/song sounds/etc, some older ones got distraught, YMMV!!!

19. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I wouldn't recommend Hereditary overall. While I have complaints I wouldn't say the film is bad. It's merely okay and I feel like there was a better story that could have been told, rather than the one we were given. While the mall theater crowd (surprisingly sparse, as it happens) certainly didn't do it any favors I don't believe they were enough of a distraction to actually harm the film. There are some scenes I genuinely liked, and I appreciate its restraint in comparison to A Quiet Place, but some of the scenes seemed to be played for laughs in a way that I found nothing short of grating as for me personally the film was already struggling to create a truly compelling atmosphere. (Others may not feel this way.) In the latter third the movie essentially disintegrates as whatever restraint the director had melts away and the film becomes nothing less than a funhouse.

In the third act we're given a literal box of exposition which contains a few MYSTERIOUS OCCULT BOOKS. (The box was already rummaged through briefly at the beginning of the movie.) One of the books contains an explanation for what's going on helpfully highlighted in yellow and illustrated for the benefit of the audience, it's all downhill from here.

On the music side Colin Stetson's score is vapid and the fact that it feels almost constantly present and doesn't do the movie many favors.

20. wankerness

I need to watch Hereditary as soon as possible. Too bad it's a horror movie. I hope it gets to video soon. :(

I watched Jackass 2 after getting frustrated about the unfunniness of Arrested Development's new season. I NEVER watched the show and haven't seen the other movies, but this was kind of great. A ton of gags suck, but they go by so relentlessly that the 1/3-1/2 that land made me laugh pretty consistently. Something must be wrong with me, cause I think the parts I laughed the most at were the taxi cab gag at the end (the reveal at the end was so gratuitous that it reminded me of IAS's "The Gang Broke Dee" episode!!), and Bam running in with the plunger after the butt chug. Jeeeesus christ. And the Bad Grandpa extended scene with the kid at the bar and them starting a fight with some douchey guy was fantastic. And all those scenes with Spike Jonze as an old lady whose tits kept falling out. And Wee Man getting basically skipped across a pond by a powerful fan. Etcetcetc. I need to see parts 1 and 3 now! Dammit, netflix!