Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

The906 likes this.
  2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Saw the news before and agreed that James Marigold is the right choice.

The real challenge is to make Boba Fett even remotely interesting to fill a movie.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  3. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Yeah. I thought Fett was of mild interest (again, because of ambiguity) right up until they spelled out his origin in AOTC. I like Mangold's work, but I'm unconvinced that Fett is a compelling character.

But 906 is probably right that I'd line right up for Pulp Wars. :lol:

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think that's a superb point to go a little deeper - as long as the story is moving forward in time and with characters, it's easy enough to keep imagination going. All of the new characters mean more stuff to think about and it's easier to immerse yourself. When they do a "Star Wars Story" and give a mixture exclusively of a) old characters and b) characters who die, the story is open and shut. I think a little fan service is healthy, but an entire movie of it is no good.

So, if they are making a Boba Fett film, IDK, it could be easy for the film to get too heavily bogged down with fan service. If they make it so that Boba Fett builds IG-88 as a kid, throw in cameos from every bounty hunter appearing in the OT, a pod racer from Ep I, Jabba the Hutt, Admiral Akbar, and at least 12 characters who only appeared in the comics or cartoons (with at least one side-mention of Darth Bane), I'll pass.

I fear that the idea starts with "Let's do a Boba Fett movie" rather than, "Here's a compelling story - this would be perfect for Boba Fett."

synrgy likes this.
  5. synrgy

And that's really my issue with the franchise, which I think we probably delved into a bit several pages ago (or maybe it was the TLJ thread, but I digress..): It's basically a vehicle for merchandise. Hell, the only reason Boba even factored into AOTC was because of the action figure sales between the original series and the prequels. "Hey, people are buying the crap out of this character's merch, so let's figure out something for him to do in the next movie.."

And in that way, it's a weird relic from my childhood; not because the original movies were still new-ish when I was a kid, but because my era (born 1980) was that of franchises built around toys instead of the other way around. Star Wars, Transformers, My Little Pony, M.A.S.K., Centurions, He-Man, GI Joe.. Most of those (to the best of my knowledge) were toys before they were [cartoon/movie/etc].

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

If they can bring him back, then god damn it, they can bring back my Qui-Gon!

synrgy likes this.
  7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The problem is that the SW movies are getting clamped down with idiotic rules like MUST ADHERE TO CANON, MUST ADHERE TO SIMILAR TONE, so now in 2/4 movies we've had directors that have distinct visions given the boot and had half their footage reshot to keep it acceptable to the corporate standard. F'in ridiculous.

And the guy they DIDN'T do that to had a huge contingent of older fans lose their shit cause he didn't give them exactly what they wanted. Because of all this, I have very low hopes for Marigold to do anything interesting.

8. Bloody_Inferno

One worst case scenario is they turn Boba Fett into a post Pitch Black Riddick movie where he's a cardboard cutout doing a bunch of stuff... aka do nothing to the already boring character.

The other is to give him the Samus Aran circa Other M treatment and completely ruin and destroy the stoic silent badass characteristic... which is all he really has, thus making him even worse than his current cipher state.

The EU lore can't even get him right. He fell in the same Sarlacc pit a second time apparently. :lol:

9. wankerness

I immediately had that old Patton Oswalt bit with the back and forth between an excited fan and George Lucas play in my mind.

synrgy likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

I think the best way to approach a Boba Fett movie would be to follow some of the great comics about him just hunting and killing people. Keep the story simple and contained.
    All I want is True Grit in spaaace.

11. Bloody_Inferno

...so my first worst case scenario point then. :lol:

Look, I sincerely would like to be proven wrong when the movie comes out. But so far it's not looking good...

12. KnightBrolaire

Would you rather they waste our time with showing him being all angsty after clone wars and slowly becoming boba fett? because that sounds way worse to me. I'd rather see him as a hardened bounty hunter out doing what he does best than watching awkward teenage boba fett earning his mandalorian armor or some bullshit like that

The906 likes this.
  13. Bloody_Inferno

You basically described my second worst case scenario point. :lol:

What I'm getting at is that despite being an unexpected fan favorite Boba Fett is an uninteresting character by design. Part of his charm is the mystique of knowing little about him and letting whatever his backstory conjure itself. In most cases that would be enough. George Lucas himself was surprised of the characters fame and would've given him a less pathetic death. But to reiterate the EU (which really is just glorified fanfiction) it's been decreed for Fett to fall right back into the that pit again.

But of course the movie is already green lit so it's going to happen no matter what. What they could do is something similar to... Pitch Black era Riddick coincidentally. Dark sense of humor, ambiguous morals, actual flaws... the stuff that makes good characters interesting. Who knows, Marigold could pull it off... hopefully.

synrgy likes this.
  14. bostjan

Right,yeah, I mean, Boba Fett is a one-dimensional character in the OT films. He has one motivation - bring Han Solo to Jabba for the reward.

It's already established from those films that he's a badass. Do we want to see more badassery from him? Well, it might sound good on the surface, but honestly think about that for a second. As long as the internet existed, there have been fan-made films of some chunky kid in a Boba Fett costume performing in front of a green screen. There's already enough material out there of Boba Fett being a badass. I don't think the world needs more of that. If you replace the chunky kid with a fit kid and replace the $20 effects with better effects, it still doesn't entice me, like at all.

If you really want to see more Boba Fett, watch the Star Wars Christmas Special, because that's where the character debuted. And if you actually do watch that and enjoy it and still want a Boba Fett movie, then I have nothing else to say to you.

What's next, a film about the red droid that blew up before Uncle Owen could buy him from the Jawas? A movie about the life and times of the Storm Trooper who bumped his head on the door in the Death Star? Maybe we can get a saga trilogy of films about the elephant man who played the keyboard-thingie at Jabba's palace before he was replaced by a more excited CGI character in the special edition.

15. KnightBrolaire

That "blue elephant man who plays the keyboard" is max rebo you uncultured peasant. He's the leader of a band called the jizzwaiters (i'm serious). He actually got a few side stories in the dark horse comics, including one during luke's attack on jabba's palace.
    I'd totally watch a max rebo movie, it'd be so easy to make a fish out of water comedy with him

16. synrgy

^^I mean, i'd watch the shit out of Gary The Stormtrooper: The Movie.

*edit* Not so sure about a Max Rebo movie, though:

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  17. wankerness

I liked that they had Max Rebo on the Donald Glover episode of SNL a couple weeks ago. Even if the skit was horrible and not funny.

I would like to see movies that are in the same universe and don't have ANY characters from the previous movies. Enough already!

18. synrgy

Yeah, that's why I do have some hope for Johnson's upcoming not-Skywalker trilogy. Completely different story, completely unattached to the to-date narratives, is the way to go, for me, at this point. Like, it was 'just a video game', but I'd put KOTOR above the prequels, at least, for that reason.

19. bostjan

Original

New

If they made a Max Rebo movie with the original writers, but with the new equipment, that might be cool, but IMO, he's best as a background elephant man character in the films, and then you can do whatever with him in the comics, and I might check those out. If they made a feature-length film starring that character, though, I would expect it to be garbage and I wouldn't go see it. :2c:

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I want the "Max Rebo: Behind the Music" where they talk about the love square between him and the leggy singer, but she's screwing one of the horn triplets who's also got a thing going with the Twi'lek who is secretly in love with Max this whole time; and how they made their best music when they all hated each other, and wanted to not see each other, drug use and egos were at an all time high, and it all poured out into the album that then became nothing but hit after hit for them and allowed them to continue but at what cost?

I call it, Fleetwood Max

synrgy likes this.