Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Nah, as long as you don't need all your movies to be gory you're fine. Make sure to balance it out with rom-coms or something. I watched Legally Blonde in between a bunch of Italian exploitation and French new-wave horror movies last year and it was glorious.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

My eldest (step)son just participated in a contest where people had to write, film, and edit a 3 minute movie in under 48 hours. There were 29 out of 36 teams who completed the task on time, and the short films were almost all a blast to watch. The premiere screening of all of them was immediately at the end of the 48 hour period. All of the films' crews were middle school age up to college age, and 99% of the actors were the same.

It made it seem like making an entertaining original film is something anyone could do if they set their minds to it. It also made me realize how overboard mainstream films go. I had heard somewhere that the original Alien film was mostly done in one take, because the director wanted to get genuine reactions. Too many films now have phenomenal actors in them giving performances that end up making me scratch my head. Good acting isn't about bringing the tears or going batshit Nic-Cage crazy on screen, it's about portraying a character in a believable and relate-able way. Personally, I think that low budget indy films do this better than a majority of big budget Hollywood films do.

3. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

There were definitely different takes done for Alien, but they were indeed very long takes. There's a bunch of behind the scenes stuff tucked into the Anthology blu ray(s), and within them are a couple spots where we can watch the actors run through multiple takes of a single scene. Basically, Scott gave the actors room to improvise. Each take covered the same bullet points, but the actors would try different methods to get from one bullet point to the next. Was pretty interesting to watch their process.

Fun side note: The lanky fellow in the alien suit was randomly spotted/recruited by Scott in a local bar during production.

4. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

I watched Digging Up the Marrow the other day. Other than the obvious and annoying self-promotion, it turned out to be better than I expected it to be. Had no idea Ray Wise was in it until he showed up quickly as Mr. Dekker. Some of his lines were hilarious. I liked how they kept the appearance of the monsters limited. That's usually the downfall of most monster/creature films when the big reveal happens and they're cheesy as hell or don't fit the movie at all.

5. wankerness

Where did you hear that?! I think you might have the wrong movie...

6. bostjan

Sorry, not one continuous take. I saw in a commentary video that a lot of the shots were one take, as in there were no retakes.

The906 likes this.
  7. wankerness

Yeah, I know what you meant. What commentary video? I've watched the ~2 hour making-of videos on the DVD and the Blu-Ray about 5 times (as many times as the movie!!!) and I don't recall them ever saying anything about an Ed Wood number of takes. I have never watched the actual commentary tracks on the film, though.

8. bostjan

I'll have to see if I can track it down, but it is something I've heard from 2-3 different sources before - those may well have been reviews for other films - I'm not certain, but I'm thinking that someone on youtube was reviewing the Star Wars prequels and mentioned how many takes it took Lucas to get some of the scenes that were merely exposition and someone mentioned that the acting seemed "cardboard," and then mentioned the Alien movie and how the chestburster scene was done on the first take (which is widely reported, just google "Alien chestburster scene one take").

It might not be accurate, though, but I know I had heard that factoid a few times before and it makes sense, considering the small budget of principle filming, the fact that a lot of the costumes didn't allow actors to breathe, the weird allergic reactions Weaver had to some of the makeup, etc.

9. synrgy

They did shoot more than one take of the chestburster scene. Scott regularly talks about how the 'burst' didn't work on the first take. That said, certain aspects of the scene as we know it were special in that the actors didn't know exactly what was going to happen, so Lambert's famous reaction to the chestburster is 'real'. (Similarly 'real' is the moment where she smacks Ripley; Weaver had reflexively dodged the first couple of takes, so Scott told Cartwright to really go after her.)

Don't get me wrong; I understand (and agree with) the overall position that Scott's Alien was a relative masterpiece, and Scott's directorial approach was (and still is) relatively unconventional. I'm just picking nits because I just happened to recently power through all the content on the Anthology blu ray set (including, unfortunately, another viewing of Resurrection, which I really should have skipped..) so it's fresh on my mind.

bostjan likes this.
  10. wankerness

The chestburster scene was done in one take, yeah. The documentaries all mentioned how the reaction from Veronica Cartwright in particular was completely genuine, since they didn't warn them beforehand. It's not that uncommon for scenes where the actors have something jump out of them to be like that, especially when a very expensive gore rig has to be set up beforehand, since if it doesn't work on the first take they'll all have to sit around for hours while they get it set up again. I don't think it mentioned anything else being like that, though.

But yes, that's part of the reason why the old practical effects still have some things to endear them over CGI when it comes to actor interaction ending up on screen. Obviously it's a GIGANTIC pain for everyone on set comparatively :D

11. synrgy

^One might argue the blue/green-screen CGI process can be as (or more) painful for many. Famously, filming The Hobbit nearly broke Ian McKellen.

12. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Deadpool 2

More of the same really. High level gore, and rapid fire humour, with a higher budget and Deadpool himself trying his best keeping everything together. I thought the first movie was good (but not great). This was a better film overall, but still away from greatness, and I can't help but feel less engaged here than I was in part 1, maybe due to 'sloppy seconds sequel syndrome' hitting me at the worst of times. Josh Brolin must be having a great month though.

13. wankerness

The trailers look kind of annoying and the fact it looks like they had an unlimited budget this time turns me off. Practically every review says it's better than the first, though.

Also, I was annoyed by the trailers for the first and skipped it in the theater, and ended up liking it quite a bit when I finally saw it on blu-ray. I've watched it 3 times and it's grown on me each time.

14. synrgy

Interestingly, I've had the opposite experience with the first one; caught it in the theater and enjoyed it immensely, but haven't been able to finish any subsequent attempted viewings on blu-ray.

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Ninja batman is ridiculous but I really enjoyed it. The art styles/charcter designs are awesome, plus it's got tara strong, kevin conroy and a bunch of other veteran voice actors. Sumo bane is one of my favorite designs, though the samurai penguins are also pretty entertaining

16. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

My experience is similar. Loved it at the theatre but had little incentive to revisit it.

Maybe it's the Family Guy pandemic with repetitive (meta) comedy quickly getting old. But it's not like I blew a funny fuse, Eric Cartman style. I had fun with the second movie, don't get me wrong. The jokes are on point and were more clever this time around (Domino's entire shtick revolves around an ongoing gag for instance) and it's cool to see Julian Dennison again. But it's more or less the usual song and dance, to bring back the Family Guy metaphor, it's like comparing it to American Dad: the jokes are better and hit harder, but it's still the same show.

There's a long scene in the third act where the characters gather around Deadpool without saying a word and he blathers on and on until it gets old, then blathers some more. I found this rather poignant in an unusual way where Deadpool being central that if you take away the character and everything that comes with him, there really isn't anything substantial to hold interest. The XMen movies (sans First Class and Logan) can't really hold well on their own, and it somewhat leaks here.

I appreciate both movies, especially considering all the great lengths to get them made, the awesome marketing campaigns, all done without compromise. They're a few steps away from being great films, but maybe that's enough and all that's needed.

synrgy likes this.
  17. wankerness

Part of the appeal to me is that it has strong, non-jokey foundations. The love story is sincere under there, as are things like his relationship with the blind neighbor. And paradoxically, that romance works light-years better than any equivalent in the MCU (coughJANEFOSTERcough). The jokes might not be as funny on repeat views, but some of the character humor is. I love Colossus and Megasonic Teenage Warhead (or w/e) so much.

synrgy likes this.
  18. synrgy

Agreed on all those 'redeeming qualities' (^), but also agreed on the 'Family Guy' analogy (^^).

As for Foster, yeah, that's why I tend to skip all the non-Asgard stuff when re-watching the first two Thor movies. So glad they quietly wrote her out of the franchise. I think I get why they tried to have that element, but it really weighed those movies down; especially TDW.

19. wankerness

Jane was awful. BUT, I loved Darcy, even though it appeared she'd had most of her lines added in post-production in the first movie. You win some, you lose some.

20. synrgy

I'd like Darcy in just about anything but a Marvel movie, but her constant quipping kept taking me out of the movie(s); fourth-wall breaking, or whatever. Just 'one of those things', I guess.