Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I think because it was made by people who weren't artistically bankrupt and thus didn't want to retread the same territory, only worse, like most sequels :D I give them all the credit in the world for actually taking a risk, and way more for doing it REALLY WELL. That's one of those sequels which has almost as many people that prefer it as prefer the original.

2. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I agree that it's among the better sequels out there, and to Cameron's credit, I'd throw T2 in that bag, too. I didn't mean to imply I thought Aliens wasn't a decent film. It's just that I fail to enjoy it much, whilst recognizing that it was well made.

Cameron has been such a mixed bag.. On the one hand, he's a visionary; largely responsible for many of the leaps in movie-related technologies over the last 30-40 years. On the other hand, he's largely (if perhaps indirectly) responsible for what I would most succinctly describe as the 'michaelbayification' of contemporary big-budget movies..

3. wankerness

He's definitely indirectly responsible, since people took all the wrong lessons from his success. Love his movies or hate them, he always had clearly drawn, memorable characters and usually had strong, direct themes, and always had really incredible action scenes. The immediate ripoffs were always trash (ex, look at what came in the wake of Titanic - PEARL HARBOR, ANYONE?). He always very carefully oversaw every aspect of the productions and usually went nuts taking over for production designers, etc because he could actually do their job better than they could in some situations. Also, he went to so much trouble to work against the musclehead action guy central character with the Terminator movies, The Abyss and Aliens - obviously THAT didn't really catch on. It's still an oddity that anyone tries that, let alone any quality/popular movies. Some of those dumb YA movies are about the only big ones that do, and they focus way more on the romance. I guess if you count crud like Wanted, Salt, and Colombiana (or the kind of awesome Haywire). He is kind of a genius, regardless of what you think about his movies.

He's renowned for being a demanding jerk, but he REALLY puts his money (and all of his energy) where his mouth is.

synrgy likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

Just saw It. Really good, definitely a lot more fleshed out than the 90s version, and it even made me twitch at moments (which is pretty impressive since most horror doesn't get that kind of reaction out of me). Bill Skarsgaard was excellent as pennywise, with his erratic, puppet like movements, constant drooling and severe crazyface. The kids in it were great, and the banter felt like the way kids actually talked (tons of dick jokes, making fun of New kids on the block, your mom jokes). Also there were some cameos from films like nightmare on elm street 5, gremlins and beetlejuice that I really appreciated. I need to reread the book to really compare how faithful to the book it was, but it was definitely one of the best stephen king movies made since the mist.

fps likes this.
  5. wankerness

I'm still thinking about seeing that. It doesn't do that dumbass Sinister thing where it does a huge smash horror trailer sound effect on the soundtrack every single time there's a jump scare, does it?

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I hate the way IT looks [too many fucking filters; all horror movies for at least the past 10 years have done this and it looks like shit]. I also have an issue with Pennywise's design as well; since it's a shapeshifter based on the child's fears and whatnot, what child is going to imagine a clown from the 1600s? Aside from that, I don't care for the way Bill acts in the trailer [what is this, a fucking ACSS era Manson music video?], so I'm not exactly enticed to see it in theaters. I'm sticking to the one with Tim Curry; I love the schadenfreude he gets out of taunting the kids and his lines are great the whole way through.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

no not really.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

Well to be fair, pennywise does shapeshift during the film, plus one of the kids is afraid of clowns -so the whole clown aspect is logical. I didn't think Skarsgaard would hold his own against Curry but he totally does. His version is equally creepy and he taunts the shit out of the kids later in the film.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

The 1600s clown design is the problem, not the clown aspect in general or the lack of shapeshifting.

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Spoilers if you're curious

When Ben is reading in the library about the town of Derry, they show a headline of a circus in town during a disaster that happens, so it's assumed that Pennywise bases his clown off of that

11. wankerness

Hmm. So then he's actually shapeshifting instead of the kids seeing some undefined formless blob as whatever their fear is?

I can't remember how it was in the book. I guess I had a vague memory of there being scenes in which multiple of them would look at him at the same time and see different things.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

yup everyone sees him as the clown but also as whatever they fear. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read the book/seen the film yet. At the end of the film he's morphing back and forth a lot.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

just saw American Assassin and it was a really solid (if stupid) action film. The fight sequences were done really well, though not to the level that john wick/atomic blonde's hand to hand is at.

14. fps

fps Kit

Just saw IT and all I want to do is go straight back in and watch it again! Pitch perfect casting. Some big deviations from the book (only major issues some of the choices around Mike and Beverley, and not showing Stan's event - perhaps that will come), and of course only about 40% of the story has been told, but the very ending made me scree with glee. Having read the book, the film makes a superb companion piece which is enriched by the book, provides worthwhile nods to it in particular moments and mise-en-scene, but stands on its own. What a fantastic job, fave film I've seen in the cinema since Pan's Labyrinth. Even the moving of the kids' part of the story to the 80s works, although they LOVE rock music and I HATE that one of the bullies now wears metal T-shirts - that's lazy, and King wouldn't approve. Otherwise, I've got nothing to say except I adored it.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  15. fps

fps Kit

The posters are, IMO, integral to the plot, as they acknowledge a world in which the kids are aware of horrors and horror movies - just as in the original they were aware of the creatures of the 50s - and almost certainly they have reached the cusp of understanding the trope of the scary clown too. In fact, that bump forward a couple of years even from the 80s in the original means they may have seen Killer Klowns From Outer Space!

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

yeah the director mentioned how he considered having It shapeshift into freddy krueger or jason- just like how it in the book turned into the universal monsters at some points. I'm actually glad he didn't go that route as it wouldn't have really added much. The only part where I felt like it would have worked well was when one of the kids gets slashed across the stomach by It's claws. They could have had krueger's knifeglove instead of the claws.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...sidered-pennywise-taking-form-freddy-krueger/
    The director also said there's going to be an extended cut of the flim with an extra 15 minutes of footage.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...extended-version-home-video-15-extra-minutes/

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM
    fps likes this.
  17. fps

fps Kit

EXCELLENT news, I would definitely watch it 15 minutes longer, especially if that allows for a little more breathing room in the second half. I'm so happy about this film. There are a few bad reviews out there, but they don't get it - it's not about scaring us, it's a film about what scares them. And I absolutely had something in my eye several times at the intense vulnerability and inner lives of the characters, so bravo.

I'm also mega-, MEGA-excited for the prospect of a supercut where the two films are layered to match the structure of the book.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 at 7:04 PM
  18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

The only thing that annoys me about knowing chapter two is coming, is that its gonna be all big name stars, and I'd rather see one or two recognizable names plus a bunch of sleepers. The kids, with the exception of Richie, were all unknowns, and they killed it; but the adults are gonna be drafted like a fantasy football team and in the back of my head, I'll be thinking "look at the 180 you pulled doing this after just being in _______"

19. wankerness

How far along is Part 2? I would not have expected there to be any big name stars considering the budget on Part 1. However, now that it grossed eleventy million dollars, I bet the studio wants to get all its mitts on it and jack the budget up massively. If they still can?

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Pretty sure it's only been announced, but somehow Jessica Chastain's name has popped up for Beverly and Chris Pratt for Ben (because we need Chris Pratt in another movie), and like you said, given how it crushed at the box office - they're gonna throw the kitchen sink at it for Chapter 2.