Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

My Vince Vaughn remark is rather tongue in cheek, namely because I've always associated him with average comedy, and it was nice to see him do something completely different here. Though that torso shield scene made laugh inappropriately. But that's more to Mel Gibson's 'let's show The wages of Sin is a full gory fatality death by hiring Ed Boon and a bunch of convicted murderers on production' preachy fascination. All that's mentioned: the grenade kick, the decapitation part of the seppuku, the other Vince Vaughn trigger happy scene, are so over the top borderline comedic, that it's actually quite a wonder. :lol:

Being raised Christian, I've never thought of the Passion Of The Christ as a 'film'. It's just not a movie. What it is, is a worship sermon, delivered in the most violent way possible. It's like how Sex And The City isn't really a series/movie but also a worship sermon of fashion tips to women over 30.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

HAHA, I forgot about the decapitation. What the hell was that?! I even wrote about that when I wrote my shpeel on it a couple days ago, and I already forgot.

Here was the last paragraph of my summary. I like this.

After all this and Doss getting back and getting hailed as a hero, there’s a REALLY terrible scene where an angry higher-up calls Sam Worthington and says “WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO ATTACK TEN MINUTES AGO!!!” and he intones “we’re waiting, sir. Waiting for Private Doss to finish praying for us.” Goddam it. We then get a bunch of moving slow-motion tableaus of Japanese soldiers being stabbed, incinerated, gorily shot, etc, culminating in Doss punting a goddam grenade in slow motion in ridiculous fashion, and then the Japanese general finally loudly (big gory CHUNK!) committing seppuku, AND being beheaded at the same time by one of his cronies. God bless the USA!

3. Bloody_Inferno

The decapitation in the seppuku ritual didn't bother me in a sense that it's part of the ritual itself. It's the fact that the sequence looks like it was filmed by Ryuhei Kitamura.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  4. wankerness

Wow, that's specific. I just looked him up and the only movie I've seen of his is Godzilla Final Wars :D Oh, and Versus, but I saw that in high school a million years ago and don't remember much of anything except that it was way less exciting than the plot summary made it sound.

5. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Re-watched Covenant last night.

It seems to have grown on me. I felt underwhelmed when I saw it in the theater, but this time it worked. I mean, I still have gripes with it, but like Prometheus before it, I'd more readily re-watch it than Aliens, Resurrection, or any of the AvP movies.

Various reports have been suggesting that the box office numbers may preclude further sequels, which I'm hoping is wrong. For better or worse, I'm invested in this story, and I hope Scott gets to finish it the way he intends..

fps likes this.
  6. wankerness

ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW

*posts gif of donald sutherland from invasion of the body snatchers*

7. synrgy

Sorry, which part makes your head asplode?

8. wankerness

The bolded part. You'd rather watch Covenant and Alien 3 than Aliens?

That gif is the one of the guy roaring and pointing, generally used to go GET HIM, HE'S ONE OF THOSE!!!!, btw. Not Scanners.gif. :D

synrgy likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

whoaa covenant wasn't bad but it doesn't compare to alien or aliens. It's definitely better than prometheus or alien 3 imo. Can't wait to see It tomorrow when I get off shift.

10. synrgy

Yeah, I'm the odd man out: I never cared much for Cameron's Aliens. I didn't mind the world-building aspect but, for me, the tone was all wrong. I like the series the way Ridley set it up: A basic "haunted house in space" concept. I like it for setting, tension, and its exploration of the darker aspects of the human psyche, and corporate culture. While some of that is present in Aliens, it's basically the action movie of the franchise. I mean, I love Bill Paxton's performance as much as the next guy, but I just have a hard time enjoying the movie, overall. Always have.

They rank like this, for me (and I know I'm in the minority):
    Alien
    Prometheus
    Covenant
    Aliens
    AvP 1 and 2; both equally trash.
    Resurrection; eyeball-bleachingly awful. Like, Leonard 6 awful, nearly ruining the careers of all involved.

Worth noting that in that list, Prometheus/Covenant/3 are pretty much a three-way toss-up.

11. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I haven't seen it, but everyone's basically led me to believe it should be retitled "Alien Misdirection."

synrgy likes this.
  12. wankerness

Aliens IS an action movie, yeah. If you can't appreciate it on that level, then no wonder. I think it has some of the most colorful characters and most memorable dialogue in 80s action, which is really saying something! And man, the tension gets cranked like screws from the moment they set foot in the base all the way through to that airlock sealing. It's some of the most masterful pacing in action movie history. Well, after the boring opening 45 minutes or whatever.

I think your ranking is nuts, but it's interesting, which is more than most peoples'!!! I like Alien 3 a lot more than most people, and I have watched Prometheus repeatedly despite never really liking it very much. It's an interesting misfire for sure, which is far more than I can say for Covenant, which just annoyed me. Covenant tries harder to be a horror movie, yet it has NOTHING that can even come close to that self-abortion scene in Prometheus, which is a classic of cringe.

I, too, loathe Resurrection. I think I gave it 1/10 the last time I saw it. Just a terrible movie, and the ugliness of it is mind-blowing. EVERYTHING is disgusting and sickly yellow. Winona Ryder's character is the worst.

I saw AVP 1 and 2 years ago and I don't remember more than one scene from either!!! I vaguely remember liking 2 more than 1 cause at least it was willing to be gross.

synrgy and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  13. Bloody_Inferno

Since we're doing Alien movie rankings, here's mine.

Alien
    Aliens
    Alien Isolation (yeah it's not a movie but so what)

...then a cliff drop to Prometheus, then the rest (don't really care).

James Cameron is great at making sequels, as both Aliens (and Terminator 2) shows. But much like the latter franchise, I have a similar feeling towards them where while they're great action movies, there's nothing quite like the broody grim dark atmosphere like their original prequels. Prometheus is alright, albeit extremely clunky in structure and story telling. Alien 3 only gets a pass due to giving David Fincher a jumpstart to bigger and better things.

Ryuhei Kitamura is usually my go to reference when it comes to dudes cutting each other up in the most ridiculously ultra gory fashion. Versus is a fine example of a good dumb movie where "screw the plot here's some superhumans killing each other" becomes fun. Aragami is just Versus but with actual plot and dialog (still completely inconsequential), and hell one of Kitamura's alumni made Death Trance, again exactly like Versus but with Steven Seagal's son (no really) and a soundtrack of Dir En Grey songs. Good ultra violent, ultra dumb fun.

Though for something not as dumb, but still gory Azumi (and Azumi 2 to some extent) are my favorites from Kitamura. Namely because it's far more substantial.

synrgy likes this.
  14. synrgy

FWIW, I do like the director's cut of Aliens quite a bit better than the theatrical. It includes an extra scene of Ripley learning about her daughter's life (and death) while she was in hypersleep after the events of the first movie. That provides the otherwise missing motivation for Ripley's motherly treatment of Newt. Combined with some of the other extra scenes that further humanize Ripley's character, that really helps change the tone of the whole thing for me.

I get that the average viewer probably doesn't care for the slow pacing of the original, or the third one, but that's always been the way horror works best for me. When I stop to think about it, the original Predator is pretty much the only 'action/horror' movie I can think of that I love.

Speaking of which, it's been a while.. I think I need to watch that again, soon..

15. wankerness

I can't stand the director's cut since it makes the endless opening even more endless. The turret gun sequence is completely pointless to the action as it affects nothing at all, it seems like something stuck back in just because they could. And that scene with Newt's family is really awful and having a scene at the colony before they arrive there is a huge mistake IMO. I think that scene with the daughter thing is easily the best addition, but I don't think it's crucial for understanding her character and think her relationship to Newt worked just fine without it. If someone made a director's cut with JUST THAT, it would be the best version. :D

synrgy likes this.
  16. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Which sounds like that's his issue with it? (And one I have with the franchise as well)

If you've just set up a movie about an Alien in a spaceship, hunting down the crew one by one, and establishing this great horror and creature, why suddenly shift it to a balls out action flick? Aliens in it's own right isn't a bad film, but when you see it in the context of going from Alien > Aliens, it's like hearing Opeth go from Ghost Reveries to Heritage (a bit more hyperbolic than I actually believe, but it gets the point across)

synrgy likes this.
  17. Bloody_Inferno

Because making the sequel into a more action based affair was really the only choice to make after Alien. The alien is scary, what would happen if there was more of them and one larger alien.

18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Logically, I feel like a mash between Aliens and Alien 3 could've been the next step.

I remember very little, if anything, about 3 besides it taking place in a prison and the inmates have to deal with the Aliens; so in that sense, it's still got the core concept of Alien down (people, trapped in a space whether they like it or not, forced to deal with this deadly predator that wants to kill them) but on a larger scale. Prisons would have gear equipped to deal with riots and that's where you could get the action aspect of it with the guards, but to go 180 from horror to action just struck me as the wrong move.

19. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Good to hear, I really want to see that one. I like what Taylor Sheridan has done so far, Hell or High Water and Sicario are great.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

I really think it's as good as Sicario. It's really good. Haven't seen Hell or High Water yet.