Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2309961/

I knew nothing about it.
    It started and I thought "Oh boy I saw that already in so many other films!".
    Then everything turned upside down and it got awesome!
    I always had the idea of making a movie like this, that idea always surrounded my head.
    Somebody did and it's awesome.
    I felt the same some years ago while watching Chronicle.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

watched atomic blonde yesterday and loved it. A good twisty espionage/cold war film with bad ass fight scenes. It's tied with John Wick 2 for best action movie of the year imo.

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Alien: Covenant - I really enjoyed this one, it really didnt waste any time getting to what we all wanted to see. I'd put Alien as my #2 favorite horror film, so to see the series back to the right blend of horror and action was great.

Wind River - I expected a slow moving, character driven movie but this one just fell flat of what I was thinking it'd be. Not bad, but I wouldnt go over a 6.5/10 for it

Snatched - Caught maybe 10 mins of this while my parents rented it, it's exactly what the trailers presented AKA comedy by numbers

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I thought Alien Covenant was a weak attempt to include elements of Alien that people like, along with a really weak attempt to be DEEP with the idiotic David/Walter scenes in the middle (that flute scene was almost lol-worthy, though, I'll give it that). Here was my write-up after watching it:

Another crew of dips***s explores a planet while not taking safety precautions and gets infected by aliens and lots of people get killed, but not fast enough that the plot doesn't get dragged out for ages. Eventually we find out
    that David from Prometheus has been doing experiments and helping to keep these aliens going. He has even developed a few alien eggs like the ones in the first movie, which he promptly uses on the dips*** captain (Billy Crudup). This CGI version of the classic alien then mows down most of the remaining cast, until we're left with Kenny Powers and Katherine Waterston (cursed by the hairdresser to look exactly like Rusty from Pee Wee's Big Adventure). After more running around dark corridors and not one but TWO showdowns with Katherine vs the alien where she triumphs, we get an incredible secret ending.

BLAH. I didn't really hate any of this, but I didn't really like anything either. It seems to have taken criticisms of Prometheus to heart, but it doesn't do a good job of fixing them. The primary criticism of Prometheus was often about how incredibly stupid every crew member was. There, we had individuals (labelled the top scientific experts on Earth, mind you) sticking their faces one inch away from aggressive-acting alien snakes to ensure they got murdered. Here, it's more blanket stupidity. The entire exploration party of idiot crewmembers walks around in what looked like Japanese WWII uniforms on an unexplored planet to ensure they got infected by nasty fauna. Then, much of the rest of the movie functions like a slasher, with things like a girl going off to wash up after being told "DON'T GO TOO FAR FROM US" and then getting decapitated, or even more obviously two idiots banging in the shower with the music turned up too high so they can't hear the warnings. That also gets us some gratuitous nudity connected to a murder. Very 80s.

It clearly is trying to make the contrast between David and the ship's own more modern Fassbender model, Walter, be the heart of the movie. There's a really limp attempt at establishing some kind of deep philosophical difference between them, but it is entirely summed up by David's last line about being the ruler of hell instead of serving in heaven (like Walter), and the rest is a total waste of time. Especially the ridiculous "seduction" scene in which David makes Walter blow in his flute while he does the fingerings. What the hell! David later takes time out during a fight scene to sexually assault Katherine, for some reason. It's all really stupid. David is
    ultimately the big villain of the movie and is a mad scientist, and we see some kind of gutted Noomi Rapace opened up on a table with the rest of his zoology collection,
    but it all just seems so pointless. He also acts so spazzy that he ends up much less interesting than he was in the previous film. The only real fun is in watching Fassbender act against himself in the various Walter/David interactions.

We get a lead here in Katherine Waterston who's at least not as infuriatingly stupid as Noomi Rapace with her "BECAUSE I BELIEVE!!!" lines, but who is paradoxically also far less appealing. She's fine, but she's really uninteresting. She's just a bad rehash of Ripley. And as mentioned before, they overcompensated in the grunge thing and took her from the dream girl of Inherent Vice to her frankly ridiculous look: Rusty of Pee Wee's Big Adventure with his bizarre bowl-cut-mop thing. Ah well. I only mention it cause it was distracting me most of the movie as I was trying to figure out what she was reminding me of.

This was hyped up as being more of a horror movie than any other Alien, but I don't know. It definitely borrows some slasher tropes, and a ton of people get killed, and the deaths are often messy, but they're all very matter-of-fact and most are viewed for one second from some flat, distant camera angle, so nothing ever really has any impact. It has a couple "chestburster" scenes (well, one is a BACKBURSTER), but despite one really trying to recreate the original's effect, it just doesn't work. There are one or two scenes with some tension, but nothing comes even remotely close to the abortion scene in Prometheus. I just don't think Ridley Scott knows how to do the horror thing anymore.

Prometheus was more ambitious, and failed much harder at its goals. This sets its sights a lot lower, and really kind of fails at even that. It isn't a particularly good-looking movie, either. Prometheus might have the more glaring problems, but I find myself drawn to it repeatedly for some reason. And if nothing else, it's beautiful to look at. I can't really imagine wanting to watch this one again in the foreseeable future!! 5/10

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the one thing I just cannnnot get over or stomach IS
    All the amazing work for Alien 1, Aliens and even 3 to an extent.....now feels like it means nothing because they were created by some dipshit malfunctioning android?.... sigh what a fucking joke. Aliens (as a species not the movie) were scary as shit because no one knew their origin and how they were so clever and why their life cycle was so super precise to maximize potential etc. I just cant believe after all these amazing movies, icon and legendary movies, they were created by an Android. It feels so cheap and dirty and completely tarnishes the entire thing forever imo. Scott really should have thought about the repercussions of his story choices for these new movies. Story BS aside and they are not even good movies anyway imo. Complete waste of time that do nothing but destroy the great movies before them. I would score Prometheus 6/10 for at least trying to tell a different story, I would rate Alien Covenant -10/10 (yep MINUS) for being so bad, it makes Alien 1, 2 and 3 now feel ruined.

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Dipshit malfunctioning Android? He knew exactly what he was doing, he was playing God like Weyland did while creating him and the other androids. He says it during Covenant how he feels about humanity, "they're a species desperately seeking a resurrection that they're not worthy of" and :blahblah: so he takes the weapon that we made to use against the Engineers and modifies it to become the perfect organism (a throwback to Ash in Alien which is what he calls it). It makes more sense this way that it was engineered to be perfect.

7. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I'm going to watch as many Tobe Hooper films as I can. He just died. :(

8. KnightBrolaire

Just saw Annabelle Creation and it was good. Not amazing but I liked the atmosphere they established and the little kids did quite well at headlining the film. Effects were quite good other than the prosthetic on laura linney where I could see the seam a bit too well. I'd say it's worth a rent or wait til it shows up on netflix,etc but not worth paying to see.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Alien and continuing my Tobe Hooper viewing.

10. KnightBrolaire

Wind River was a really solid thriller/western. They really nailed the cold shitty feeling of being in Wyoming in the middle of winter/spring and how depressing most of the reservations are. Jeremy Renner was excellent in it.

JD27 likes this.
  11. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Angel Heart/ Altered States/ The Shining/ Cars I & II

Rosal76 likes this.
  12. wankerness

And...what did you people think of any of these things?? What Tobe Hooper movies did you watch?

I really don't like Eaten Alive apart from the wacko Marilyn Burns/Phantom of the Paradise subplot, I have literally no memory of The Funhouse, I can take or leave TCM 2/Invaders from Mars/his segment in Body Bags, I LOVE Lifeforce, Poltergeist is fantastic despite being mainly made by Spielberg, TCM is one of the best horror films of all time, and I haven't bothered with anything else. I've watched/rewatched most of these in the last couple of years apart from The Funhouse, so I probably need to rewatch that one. I've always meant to see Salem's Lot, but never got around to it. Spontaneous Combustion is the other one I have interest in watching after reading the write-up on the AV Club the other day.

I watched Dunkirk and it made me feel like a contrarian. It was mostly a bunch of people incoherently yelling at each other for the first while, three of the main characters looked exactly the same (scrawny dark-haired guys with foppish features/hair that were all soggy and barely talked), none of the characters were interesting apart from the boat captain who I loved, and only the Tom Hardy plotline was actually exciting (even though it was just him shooting down a bunch of planes while the music got faster). Argh. It still basically worked overall but I'm completely befuddled by the seemingly endless stream of reviews praising it as an absolute masterpiece and/or the best war movie of all time. WTH, dudes? I am wondering if it's going to be like many other movies where the initial theatrical release is met with rapturous, inflated reviews thanks to the sound and fury, and greatly cooled reviews by the time the home versions come around and people can look at it more clinically. Either that, or maybe I'll like it more the second time? Otherwise, maybe I'm turning into a dullard, or the whole world is crazy besides me. :D

Oh, and there were a few individually great other scenes, like the people locked in the boat before it got torpedoed. And some individually bad other scenes, particularly the one where some ugly dudes get locked in a boat that's being shot up and is sinking and try to sacrifice the two foreigners for survival while the handsome dude tries to stop them. :p

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  13. Spaced Out Ace

TCM2 is great, first off. And so far, I've watched TCM, TCM2, Eaten Alive, Billy Idol - Dancing with Myself, and have started Salem's Lot. I plan to watch Toolbox Murders, his segment in Body Bags, The Funhouse, Poltergeist, the No More Mr. Nice Guy episode of Freddy's Nightmares, and a few other things.

14. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1.

Very, very underrated but awesome movie.

As you know, Robert DeNiro plays the Devil. Did you ever take notice that he plays another character in the movie towards the end?

[​IMG]

I didn't know it was him until years later. o_O

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  15. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Ah man... I never knew that. I've seen the movie a few times... never noticed!

Indeed... very well directed and well written. Loved Rourke in that film.

16. Spaced Out Ace

About to watch The Funhouse. If you've never seen it, it's a pretty interesting film from Tobe Hooper. It's one of my faves from Tobe, along with the first two Texas Chainsaw Massacre films, which are the only two he was involved in.

17. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Hacksaw Ridge

There's something fascinating I find about Mel Gibson's latest film. Having just seen the movie, it had Mel Gibson written all over it, but possibly his most sincerest delivery yet. It bears strong similarities to The Passion Of The Christ, but with an actual movie narrative instead of straight up worship sermon and Catholic guilt.

Yes the self punishing martyrdom that condemns violence but will gladly pay the penance of taking it himself is there. And yes Gibson's insanity shows with the gore factor, once the actual War section begins, is near equal to obscenely absurd levels as Passion and Apocalypto too, all filmed as if with unrestrained jubilation.

But it's all profoundly well told, albeit a bit clunky and a lot of the support characters are typical war stock types. But it was good seeing each of them get humanised during the war as blood erupts in all sorts of ways.

I did like seeing Vince Vaughn in a real serious role, and I like that Andrew Garfield's performance made me forget all about the Amazing Spiderman movies.

18. wankerness

The first half of the movie legitimately started getting funny in the histrionic courtroom scenes as soon as I thought about the reason WHY. I'm not sure if it could have been told in a way that didn't get stupid, but the movie definitely didn't do itself any favors.

The second half was mostly good, but there were definitely a few MAD MEL touches that should have been caught by someone. Like, the first battle starts, and there's a scene where someone literally picks up half of a human torso (the top half, vertically and upright!!!) and starts RUNNING TOWARDS THE ENEMY WHILE FIRING A MACHINE GUN WITH THE OTHER HAND!! Are you kidding me?!

It ends up being a movie that's mostly a prestige war movie with some maudlin Hallmark movie scenes in the first half and a bit of gory insanity silliness in the middle that prevents it from fully functioning as what it seemed to be aiming for. I wish they'd let Mel do what he'd really wanted to do and go all out nuts. His "Apocalypto" is a legitimately awesome movie and shows what can happen when he's unleashed.

Also, Andrew Garfield's Goku-style hair was frequently laughable.

19. KnightBrolaire

really? I found the weakest part to be Vince Vaughn. He's not in any way believable as an infantry sergeant. He added some lightness to an otherwise thematically heavy movie, but he just didn't sell me on the hard ass part as much as the comedy. I found the gore to be extremely well done and it helped showcase just how unbelievably brutal the pacific front was. Granted some of it (like kicking a fucking grenade away) was so absurd that I just laughed. If you want a good read about the pacific check out War without Mercy by John Dower. He goes into a lot of detail about the horrible things Americans and the Japanese did during that campaign. Apocalypto is a seriously underrated film. Also, is it just me or does Passion of the Christ actually work better as a horror film than a religious film? I think it's an excellent horror film.

20. wankerness

Haha, I forgot about the extreme slow-motion grenade punt, I laughed there too.

I still haven't watched Passion of the Christ. It sounded so reprehensibly racist and the way so many people were holding it up as SUCH A BEAUTIFUL MOVIE THAT MUST BE SEEN BY ALL CHRISTIANS [yes, I know this was a subset of the really out-there ones, mostly catholics and the ultra-conservatives] made me never want to see it, ever. But in my more cynical days, I sort of want to see it just to see how insane people that think a sadistic torture movie is beautiful and should be viewed by children really are! Not to mention, I've heard it's a really good movie from a purely technical sense.