Most accurate tuner?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by vejichan, Oct 1, 2018.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Hi everyone..what tuner do u recommend?

2. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

What does "accurate" mean? Accurate tuning has more to do with you than the hardware. A note goes sharp when you first pick it, then settles. Not to mention that the guitar has imperfect intonation anyway (unless you have true temperament frets). So it's always something of a compromise to get a totally "accurate" string tuning anyway. Your best bet is to tune according to how you play. If you're doing fast picking stuff, you want to tune for the initial attack of the note. If you're doing slow leads, tune based on the sustained note once it's "settled". If you're riffing, tune around the open strings and lower frets. If you're doing lots of chords half way up the neck, tune for that.

And do you mean a clip-on tuner, a pedal, software, one that analyses the sound itself?

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I love my Polytune 3 :yesway:

I tune my guitars as low as F and have no issues with note tracking. Plus the Polytune 3 has the option to be set either true bypass, buffered bypass, or buffered with the screen always on. I had a Polytune 2 before the 3 and I believe they are the same as far as tuning accuracy/tracking, but the 2 is only true bypass. You could probably pick up a 2 for a lot cheaper used if you don't care about the extra options in the 3 :2c:

4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

All of this. And knowing your budget also helps.

That said, it's a tossup between the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner and TC Polytune are my personal favorites.

5. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

I use the Peterson stomp classic which is amazingly easy to use and is one of the most, if not the most accurate strobe tuner available, which also has great tracking for low notes and bass guitars. Love it and wouldn't use anything else.

Kyle Jordan and sonofabias like this.
  6. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I have a polytune clip and it sometimes has trouble with tuning a low A on my 7.. the note won't even register. Not sure if the pedal version has the same issue.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, I mean, if accuracy is what you're after, no holds barred... A Peterson strobe tuner (or at least a Strobosoft or something) is the way to go.

In practice, it's total overkill for everything short of setting intonation, and half the time I just use the Peterson iPhone app because it's super convenient.

8. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

The strobosoft is quite nice, but I remember it wasn't tracking the low note as nicely as the stompclassic. Last time I used it is a few years back and it could have improved in the meantime.

9. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I've used an old fender pedal tuner and currently have a planet waves pedal tuner, but I wouldn't recommend either of them. The fender has trouble reading lower notes and my planet waves has a busted latch so it won't close. Also, my other guitarists planet waves died recently. He bought a boss, and I only ever hear good things about the boss.
    I got a snark clip on recently for about $13 and so far its excellent.

10. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions. One thing i have been looking at are these Apps for my smartphone..any accurate tuner or should i just get a dedicated tuner?

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Mine is probably ten years old now, and I haven't had any real problems. Flawless down to at least low B, though below A or so you'd likely want to flip it to bass mode (which, to be fair, you're well outside typical guitar range by then anyway).

12. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

The only app I've tried is the Petersen iStroboSoft app, which works really well. Note that the sweetened tunings are a separate in app purchase, though, if you are interested in them.

13. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

Interested in knowing this as well. Sometimes it does not recognize low strings for Drop C tuning either. Other than going that low, the clip tuner has been fantastic.

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You know, when push comes to shove...

...I have yet to use a tuner made in, say, the last 15-20 years that isn't accurate ENOUGH to tune a guitar with.

15. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I use the Boss pedals tuner app. I used my boss tu-3 until my fractal fx8 came in, now i use the tuner on that.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I have a ST300 Turbo Tuner Mini. Supposed to be super fucking accurate, which I agree with. It's also like $130, which is cheap for a strobe tuner.

17. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Cheap, easy, reliable: a used Boss TU-2 or TU-3.

I can get these all day for $70 Canadian ($55 USD!)