Mishas Sig?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Thorerges, Dec 17, 2014.

1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

see that join date haha?

2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Which is exactly why I was asking :D

3. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

I think your missing the point. Are you questioning my understanding of the difference in quality? If so, stop. I never once said the build quality from the Pro to the US model was the same nor did I say they are on par with each other. What I did say, If you read it and could separate my opinion from yours is that a Pro model with a few upgrades makes a really really good guitar that "I" cant justify the $2-3k difference for the US model. Everyone wants to argue about this, but I think many are missing the point.

Matt08642 likes this.
  4. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I only play Strictly7s now anyway

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  5. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

What? No, my whole point is just because you can't fathom there being a better guitar equivalent to the extra cost of 2k doesn't turn that into the objective reality. I understand you can't justify that extra cost, but saying that the Jackson isn't worth it's upcharge.

Like jeph mentioned, SS Frets are an upgrade that isn't available on the Imports. The cheapest SS Refret you can normally find is usually just over 200, with professional fretwork all the way up to 300. You're getting a Maple top vs a veneer which objectively costs more. BKP Pickups, Hipshot bridge tuners. You get my point.

The Pro line Misha costs 800-900, adding the cost of everything else gets you pretty close to the cost of a USA Jackson. At least before this year's model.

Hipshot Bridge + Tuners = $120
    Professional SS Fretwork = $300
    BKP Pickups = $300

That's already over $700 in upgrades, not even counting the wood cost which I can't really talk about since I've never bought and worked with figured maple. But looking at Jackson's Custom Shop Select upcharges, $450 for a Quilt top, and $400 for a Flame top.

So the Pro is literally missing close to $1200 in features the USA Jackson has. The rest of the cost you can attribute to the cost of whatever else I glossed over and labor costs that Jackson is offsetting for what they pay their luthiers to build it. And the guys working at Jackson absolutely build a better guitar than the guitars built overseas.

Also keep in mind, I'm comparing the import with the first generation Juggernauts. When they were 2800 - 3200 new, the 2018 guitars are quite a bit more hefty price wise but I only have experience owning the gloss guitars.

Albake21 likes this.
  6. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

I feel like were beating a dead horse here. I never said anything about the cost of upgrades between the 2 models as a whole. I said that taking a Pro model and doing a couple upgrades makes it a sick ass guitar without having to spend the $3000+ price tag of a new one. One decision that I'm more than ok with for what I need.

I bought a used HT6 and installed BKP's and total I'm around $800 into it. I may replace the bridge with a Hipshot for an additional $100 so lets say $900 total.

I decided to go that route instead of paying over $2k for a used USA model because I couldn't justify to "myself" the price difference, so again its not me saying they are equal or I don't understand the difference in terms of quality or costs. Its me saying I'm more than happy with my Pro model with a couple upgrades for half the cost. That's it. Simple as that.

7. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I guess my problem is, it's like polishing a turd. You can only add so much to it, but no matter what the quality won't change. Now keep in mind I'm being dramatic, the Pro models aren't shit by any means, I'm just using it as an example. To some it may be worth it, but to some like me, "Pro" models aren't worth it to me. Doesn't matter what you upgrade on it, it's still made of the same quality as when you bought it. If you can't find a used USA in your area then sure go with the Pro and upgrade it. But if you can, I still think it's a no brainer to spend the little extra for a pretty night and day difference in quality.

possumkiller likes this.
  8. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

Well if your mentality is that only high end US models or the likes of Mayones and Aristides are the only guitars worth owning then that's fine and I hope it works for you. I'm at a point in life where I don't want to spend $3k+ on guitars anymore. I've owned enough of that shit to determine its not my cup of tea anymore. For someone who plays at home only, and very little for that matter, the idea of having super expensive guitars just to say I have them isn't my jam. This is all about ones opinion and some cant accept the difference between opinion and the need to be right. Not saying you're wrong, just a difference in viewpoints and where everyone is at in life.

9. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

This is the statement you made, it's still the only point I'm talking about.

There is nothing wrong with buying, enjoying, and being satisfied with imports and no one said otherwise. We're simply just stating that the higher end guitars, are in fact higher end. Good on you if the import fits your needs perfectly.

Like I said before, there is a reason why the guitars cost a lot more. Some of it is royalties, sure and a lot of it is specs and labor.

10. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

This makes my head hurt. When did I say high end guitars are not better? Is a USA model nicer ? Fuck yes it is, but the point I'm trying to make is I don't think its worth 3x as much "to me". How many times do I have to say this is my opinion on what works for me??

mikah912 likes this.
  11. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Read my caption under my name. There are SO many better, high quality options out there including Ibanez Pretiges that you can get for the same price you paid for the Pro + upgrades. This has nothing to do with boutique guitars.

12. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I feel like you just have a desire to have the last word at this point :lol:

You do you Apex, buy what you want to buy. No one is telling you you're wrong about liking the import guitar, nothing to get a headache over.

13. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Pussy Melter

Anyone buying these to play them?

mikah912, Masoo2, Matt08642 and 3 others like this.
  14. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

sarcasm and fact, i mostly see this axes in mint cond :)

KnightBrolaire and Vyn like this.
  15. Jake

Jake GAS Master

I think I might be the only one :lol:

16. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Not everyone is a touring musician sweating on and banging their guitars all over the place :)

KnightBrolaire, cmtd and blacai like this.
  17. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

afaik mint mean frets are untouched so that mean no playing

18. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Stainless Steel doesn't exactly wear in the first place, you can find dinged up 90's Parker Flys with flawless frets.

StevenC likes this.
  19. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

This.

99% of the people on this site could basically be considered guitar distributors. They hang on to guitars for a few weeks before ultimately posting them for sale and passing them on to their actual owners :lol:

20. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

I bought one and played it. Very modern guitar with a very modern feel. I felt like, I was no longer in the past nor the present.. I was playing a modern guitar from the near future. Is this thread dead? :lol: