Mishas Sig?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Thorerges, Dec 17, 2014.

1. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Be careful with that roasted neck! Jeff Kiesel said that it makes the wood too brittle and weak haha

2. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Pussy Melter

No worries: Buffing to satin instead of gloss makes up for the t0an loss.

Albake21 likes this.
  3. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

Just installed Juggernauts in my HT6 pro. After installing those and possibly swapping out for a Hipshot bridge, I might have around $1k in that guitar, I don't see how I could justify spending nearly $4k on a new USA model. Some of the fit and finish might be a touch better but no way is it 3-4x better overall. Just my 2 cents.

4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Brand new? Hell no they aren't worth it IMO, but used they definitely are. I've seen the ones with ebony board sell as cheap as $1500 and for that price they are without a doubt worth it.

5. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

Have you played both USA and import models?

6. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

I have not played the USA model. My opinion is that the Import with a few upgrades gets you a pretty badass guitar for around $1k. I've owned many high USA built guitars in the past and while they are nice, the price tag doesn't always justify the difference.

7. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

That's a very opinionated subject in the first place and your worth of specs and how well something is made. However there absolutely is a substantial difference in build quality between both guitars. I've owned several of the Gloss HT's, and I've played 2 Pro's at local stores. Solid guitar for 1k, but not that close to the USA.

xzacx, cmtd and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

The point we are making is that the Pros and some upgrades they are capable of being on-par with the USA's when compared to price/feature set. Personally the only two questions I asked myself were "Do I care about a 20inch radius and being made in the USA for the price difference?" The answer to both was no.

Also, outside of the US, finding a used USA (let alone finding one for a reasonable price) is extremely difficult (I won't say impossible but I'm yet to see a used HT7 or HT6 USA for less than the equivalent of $2500USD. Most of them are $3k USD).

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Unless you get it re-fretted you're not getting SS frets on a Pro series. Whether that matters is up to you but between that, the cheaper tuners, and the non-Hipshot bridge, it's not "on par." Good guitars? Sure. But not the same as a USA model.

10. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Sure but that kind of logic can be applied to literally anything, following that the only American made guitars you should be buying is Kiesels because they're better than imports at their price range. But also because they're available for just over 1k. Either way there is still a lot that differentiates the Pro from the USA line. Why would they cannibalize their high end guitars for?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  11. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

If someone is in USA a used HT6 or 7 is worth the difference in price over a pro. That is indisputable and that was the point.

Vyn likes this.
  12. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

I don't think anyone is claiming the imports are bad guitars. But following this logic, I could by a set of original PAFs, an abr1 bridge, and some vintage tuners, slap them on an Epiphone LP studio and say it's "on par" with a 59' les paul?

I own a USA ht6, and have played the imports. The finish quality is what you are paying for, not the hardware/pickups. While I don't at all think the pro is a bad quality guitar, it isn't a USA.

I just looked on reverb for used HT6's as I typed this post. There is a black USA for $1850 usd, and this isn't uncommon.

AkiraSpectrum and Jonathan20022 like this.
  13. Vyn

As I said before:

Mishas Sig?

I'm not disputing that a used USA is a better deal over an upgraded Pro IF you live in the US. However, brand new I don't think the premium on a USA is worth the extra you get. Is the finish better on the USA? Yes. Do I think that's worth an extra $2k+ USD? Nope.

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Isn't it also better pickups, hardware, fretwork, binding, and QC? And sometimes woods, in the case of quilt maple.

15. Vyn

I'm talking from the perspective of taking a Pro, upgrading the tuners, bridge and pickups (which I've mentioned before) The only differences then are the radius (20 on the USA, 16 on the pro), frets (SS vs Standard), finishes and woods.

The SS vs Standard fret debate has been going on for years, personally I've never had a problem ever with nickle frets, if a guitar has SS then that's a bonus, it's not a make or break feature for me. 20 radius vs 16... There's a difference but having played either I couldn't really care, they both feel good.

Finishes and woods - both do have an effect on the tone but it's nowhere near the amount the pickups and the amp/signal chain. If you have BKP rags/juggs, a Horizon Devices PD, an AxeFx, an Invective, a 5150 etc you're going to get pretty close to Misha's tone.

The last 10% or even 5% of that tone tsnt going to be so much because of the finish or the woods, it's going to be you don't have Misha's right hand and left hand.

16. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

"Worth" and "value" are subjective. And while there may be diminishing returns moving from a Pro to a US model, that doesn't mean the value is less.

xzacx likes this.
  17. Vyn

Agreed with worth and value being subjective, others on the board probably think that the extra $$$ is indeed worth the move to the USA. Having played both though, IMO there's not THAT much of a difference to warrant (again IMO) spending the additional money. For the price of the USA's new you pretty much can get whatever guitar you want, although if the HT is what you're after then go nuts.

18. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

Eh, not the best example....it'll probably be much better :lol:

A-Branger and Vyn like this.
  19. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

sevenstring gonna sevenstring

20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

To be honest, QC isn't a factor: if the guitar is bad, don't buy it. Or return it if bought online. In the EU we have a 7 days refund-no-questions-asked policy for everything bought online (barring consumables, food etc)

Come on, *dare* tell me you expected otherwise :D

bulb likes this.