Minimalist live amp for deathmetal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BranchDavidian, Jun 1, 2018.

1. BranchDavidian

BranchDavidian SS.org Regular

Powerstage170 came in a couple days ago. Still waiting on the revv g3. I bought a slightly used one from reverb. The seller assures me the serial number is 69. So thats good.

In the mean time, i needed a board to mount my rig to. I use a tuner pedal and noise suppressor in addition to the powerstage and revv g3. After some research i grabbed a pedaltrain nano+. Everything should fit literally perfect.

20180609_171529.jpg

cwhitey2, rexbinary, Gmork and 6 others like this.
  2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Nice.

Dineley and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  3. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Badass

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

nice

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  5. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

that pedal board is going to be deadly.

6. BranchDavidian

I cant stress enough how well the powerstage170 fits the nano+ its almost like they were machined to perfectly fit each other.

7. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

The most important question is: how does it sound and how well does it keep up in live/rehearsal scenario?

8. BranchDavidian

Wont know until my revv g3 shows up tomorrow, as i dont have any pedal to put in front of it. Ill post a vid.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  9. BranchDavidian

Also picking up a mesa boogie vertical 2x12 today to further simplify my rig.

I have no idea if it will be loud enough or sound good enough. For every person online saying theyre great theres someone saying they arent so its really impossible to tell without seeing for myself.

But it seems like a vertical 2x12 (if it makes the cut) and a powerstage 170 would be ideal for me.

10. BranchDavidian

So basically theres no need to post a video. Cellphone vids of high gain amps arent going to tell you much. Ill just break it down.

The powerstage 170 is KILLER. Everything you need and nothing you dont. Its light. Portable. Plenty of volume. Enough tone shaping. BUT - i dont believe this is suited for death metal. My volume is at about 70% (a little under 3/4 of the way up) to match the volume of my other guitar players jsx. It matches the volume, and the revv g3 is definitely a metal tone horse, but the feedback im getting is just unreal. Even with my ns2 in the chain just big amounts of squeal. Probably more than ive encountered with any other setup - and im not saying thay from inexperience - Ive had probably 30 high gain heads... this feeds back more than all of them. I wanted to like it but im not sure its gonna stick around here long.

Maybe with a different distortion pedal.. but i dont know how many i feel like throwing at it. I may try the amp tweaker tightmetal. If that doesnt work im calling it 3 strikes.

Everyone who suggested the 5150 3 though, deserves a pat on the back. This thing is so surprisingly good. Even through the vertical 2x12 its as loud as my other guitarists jsx. Its as good as my dual rec (maybe better).

I truthfully whole heartedly can not believe people bother with 60+lb tube heads and 4x12s at this point. The tone im getting out of this little 5153 and 2x12 is absolutely ruthless. This amp does have quite a bit of a hum to it once its turned up half way. A LOT of hum. The screeching feedback is easily handled by the boss ns-2 but even with the volume down on your guitar you have to speak up a little to be heard over the hum. Not like a ground hum either.. just the sound of it being pushed. Its totally put-up-with-able. But worth mentioning.

So answer my own question of "Can you replace a 100-120 watt tube head and 4x12 with a 50watt head and a 2x12 fir death metal"?

My answer is YES. You absolutely can. Hands down. No questions asked. Truthfully the 50w and 2x12 might even sound better and cut through better. This is a more portable rig i can definitely give a thumbs up.

Kind of aggrivates me.. all the people ive seen slam the vertical 2x12s and 50w heads in threads over the years on threads like 'im in highschool. Will a crate 2x12 be loud enough to jam with a drummer?' And all these damn neck beards responding 'sorry kid. You better save up for an oversized recto 4x12 and a 120watt tube head'. If youve ever said anything like that, heres a personal fck you from me to you :)

Attached Files:

Gmork, MAJ Meadows SF, Vyn and 3 others like this.
  11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Did you try turning down the gain on the Revv until you no longer get feedback?

12. BranchDavidian

At that point it becomes an over drive. Or a boost. I legitimately can not use this pedal and the powerstage in a band setting with even a conservative level of distortion.. even with a noise suppressor engaged... And emgs which have 'built in noise reduction'

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  13. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

It honestly sounds like you need a better gate not a new poweramp. You should be able to run an HM-2, into a BB Preamp, into a 120 watt head and have total silence (other than the amp hum) when the gate is on. And if the amp hum is too much then either a G-String or that new gate from fortin should stop it.

Basically noise should not be a problem with a decent gate.
    The NS-2 is crap compared to a Decimator in my opinion.

14. BranchDavidian

I should explain the ns-2.. not the most effective gate, granted. I was playing a shockwave when i bought it. I had a decimator originally and actually got rid of it because it was robbing my pinch harmonics and some of my crunch on that particular amp - in favor of the ns2 which kept my tone intact on that particular amp with those particular settings. I agree the isp is better in front of any of those other heads. Esp the xxx.

15. Metalman X

Metalman X The Resplendent Sub-Human

Manchester, CT., United States Of Vinland
    Have you tried running the NS-2 in the 'x-configuration'?

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RbAaOUPIvPU/URTEqvGjCmI/AAAAAAAAAS0/pS2VPY4Q4tQ/s1600/1.png

I've done that in several rigs in the past, and it really made the NS-2 a much more effective unit.

The thing I find with gates, and why the x-config or similarly implemented units like the Decimator stuff, is that in reality, at least, with analog gear running a decent amount of gain at any real volume level you kinda' need to gates. Either in one unit, or two separate ones. It's because you need a gate between the guitar and the preamp to quell the feedback, but than you now have to contend with the gain generated downstream causing hum and hiss.... thus a gate needs to be after your preamp to do something about that. So, with one gate, you typically have to choose which area is a higher concern for you.

But running the NS-2 in the X setup will do the exact same thing with one little box, and merely add a couple more short cables to your setup, which is not that big of a deal. If I recall correctly, when doing this you can actually get away with less clamped threshold settings to, which is a plus.

I ran an NS-2 for like a decade, never knowing about this trick. And often then I'd be forced to do things like put the NS-2 in front of the amp, than use whatever gate was built into whatever multi-effects I had in the loop of whatever head I was using at the time (early on a Marshall VS100, later a Randall Cyclone, several other Randalls, and a few other things here n' there too). That was the only way I could keep most of these rigs running silent between riffs. After learning of the X, I used the NS-2 alone in that way because it really always seemed both more effective than the two seperate gates alone, and actually seemed to impact the tone less as well.

Wolfhorsky and KailM like this.
  16. BranchDavidian

The powerstage doesnt have an effects loop

17. BranchDavidian

I think the solution to this is:
    A)try out an isp in front
    B)try a different dist. -starting with the tightmetal pro

18. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

and you don't need one
    fx loop send = out of whatever preamp you're using
    fx loop return = power amp in

Wolfhorsky and kindsage like this.
  19. BranchDavidian

?

Attached Files:

20. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

You guitar, tuner, into NS-2 input, then from NS-2 send to the Revv, then from the Revv to NS-2 - return, then NS-2 Output to the powerstage.

Wolfhorsky likes this.