Minimalist live amp for deathmetal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BranchDavidian, Jun 1, 2018.

1. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Has he bought a block letter yet?

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Damn, that looks great. I need to do that with mine.

What other mods do you recommend? I assume the effects loop buffer-ectomy for one?

3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Yeah, the effects loop mod is the first one to do. And easiest. One capacitor soldered to the legs of R68 and you're good to go. Only necessary if you use the effects loop though. I prefer an EQ in the loop for my core tone.

The other one I did was the 5150 mod. It's two caps and a resistor, but you have to get into the PCB which is more involved. It changes the tone stack on the lead channel to match the original 5150/6505 rather than the II/+, which as most people know has a thicker, more brutal voicing.

4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Got a link to these mods? The only effects loop one I've heard of bypasses the buffer entirely, which seems like it would be worse than what you're suggesting.
    The 5150 mod also sounds tasty.

Also, sorry to derail the thread :)

5. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Deadpool_25, Wizard of Ozz and budda like this.
  6. BranchDavidian

BranchDavidian SS.org Regular

Ordered a 5150 iii, a powerstage 170, and a revv g3

We'll have a shootout.

The amplifirebox seemed like it was a little lacking to me in the high gain dept just going off youtube. Everyone playing metal on them seemed very... idk i dont want to say digitech but it seemed thin and not crunchy enough.

The amptweaker tightmetalpro seems very capable, but the revv seems like its got just as much tone in half the size. We may have to schedule that one next.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  7. BranchDavidian

5153 is here. First impressions of it are mixed but positive. It is IDEAL weight and significantly smaller than my other tube heads. Visually, I love this head in ivory. I even painted my XXX to look like it. Plus, zzounds gave me a fantastic deal. They beat a pricematch down to $790 with free 1 day shipping. This made it just slightly more than the cost of a used one.

I have one primary dislike: the amount of plastic components that didnt need to be plastic. I can deal with a plastic grill. The plastic faceplate... i could deal with that too. Even the cheap feeling rooster knobs i can swap when they shit the bed.

The plastic TRS for the footswitch/preamp/effects loop, though? Fkin barf. Crate does that shit i could never understand why. Whats the real production cost difference between a $0.04 plastic trs and a $0.06 metal TRS versus the customer retention loss when one of the plastic bastards breaks?

Whatever. The speaker outs are metal and thats good enough. I wont be using the effects loop or footswitch anyway.

Other slight bummer - cant swap the jewel light

I was also surprised to see how deep this amp is. From back to front its bigger than the xxx, engl, and mesa.

I dont have a cab at the house but im gonna bring it up to the jamspace later and see whats what Screenshot_20180605-163055_Gallery.jpg 20180605_163217.jpg

Deadpool_25 and NateFalcon like this.
  8. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

What do you mean by plastic grille?? Is that just a 50 watt thing because I have a 100 watt and it's all metal.

9. BranchDavidian

The black grille with the evh stripes is plastic on the 50w evidently. Doesnt bother me tooo bad

10. BranchDavidian

Heres how it stacks up to the dual recto. Much deeper dimension wise. Much lighter.

They actually sound more similar than most recto owners are going to be willing to admit. Its like a baby XXX.

Volume wise, its the real deal! I usually practice with the mesa master volume at about 12'oclock. The 5153 thing is hitting the same loudness at about 1 oclock.. the extra little volume is making it distort a tiny bit more in a very pleasant way. Almost like theres the slightest boost in front of it, breaking up the distortion a little bit more for that ripping/tearing kind of effect. Its metal as balls. Everyone who recomended it deserves rep.

The presence knob doesnt have very much shape to it. All the way down is boomier, all the way up is glassier, but all the way down to all the way up is slight. Its not like a full shape knob.. i feel like it does 30% of what the presence knob on the dual recto sounds like.

I also had to push the mids pretty hard. Bass is at 40%, mids are about 70%, highs are about 60%. Presence and gain are nearly buried at around 80-85%. Its very recto sounding this way.

I would almost be sad if the power stage and revv g3 beat it.

20180605_171632.jpg 20180605_171611.jpg

11. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

All the jacks on my 5153 are metal :shrug: even the rear faceplate (not the stripes) is metal as well, but mine is the old version without the concentric knobs.

Glad you like the amp! 1:00 on the volume must be earth-shattering, especially if you have the resonance pretty high.

12. BranchDavidian

The back grate is metal. Only the input and speaker outs on mine are metal.. which is good enough for me since thats all ill be using. Other people might be put off by it. I kept the resonance at 12oclock as it came from the factory. Only because i forgot it was there ill have to mess with it next time.

Other thoughts include:
    - not sure how i feel about the power and standby on the back
    - the mesa I could use at this volume without a noise suppressor. Id get some feedback on only some pickups. The 5153 is a real screecher.

13. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

All 5150 sister amps got some noisy hiss going on. Nature of the beast.

14. silverabyss

silverabyss

If you like the g3 I'm going to buy one too

15. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Joe Haley from Psycroptic (who for me personally has one of the best death metal tones out there) uses a EVH 5150III LBXII mic'ed up live. Super portable, can go on the plane as hand luggage.

16. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ever think of going the pedaboard rig route? Im into and play the same sorta stuff.
    I own(ed) lots of amps vh140, ss150, 6505, rockmaster pre, triple rec etc etc etc but pretty much exclusively use my pedalboard rig (amptweaker tightmetal into a quilter toneblock201) and am super happy with it!
    If cabs are supplied i just have to bring my board and my guitar!

17. silverabyss

silverabyss

Boost or no boost? What channel/eq?

are there any recent videos of his 5153 tone? (Yes am a huge curious nerd)

18. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Blue channel, no boost, gain 10 o'clock, low 11 o'clock, mid on max, high at 9 o'clock on an LBXII will get you pretty close. Haven't asked about his recent tone, that was a while ago.

19. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Agree, a bummer

20. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

IMO, if you have a 5150 and a dual rec sounding almost identical, you're hearing how you sound and just how much effect the amp is actually having on your high gain tone. That's not a bad thing, I just felt it's probably worth pointing out. Enjoy your NAD :yesway:

(also, regarding power/standby on the back - you adjust quick)