Minimalist live amp for deathmetal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BranchDavidian, Jun 1, 2018.

1. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Big glass and bigger transformers make the biggest tone. I always prefer the full size heads/wattage setting to the smaller counterparts/low watt settings for live applications. So unless you want to go the AxeFX or Kemper route, which is a totally viable option; I suggest you suck it up and grab an Uberschall rev. 2 or rev Blue. It’s even heavier (weight) than all your current amps, but it really only has one tone, which is utter devastation. There are a lot of amps that do waaaayy more; but when it comes to the grindiest-kick you in the liver-what the fuck is that amp?- kinda one trick pony...Bogner comes through in spades

Wizard of Ozz and KailM like this.
  2. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

Ampeg Vh140c or Crate Shockwave are great one trick pony death metal amps...as mentioned already the preamp pedal and Duncan 170 idea is hard to beat for portability though...lots of killer chainsaw preamp pedals, Amptweaker, AMT, Black Arts Toneworks etc...

Zoobiedood and wakjob like this.
  3. Breeding The Spawn

Breeding The Spawn SS.org Regular

Ampeg SS70 70 watt combo, perfect for any early 90's Death Metal style. Insanely loud, enough gain. I've been using mine for about 6 years, and just recently been using an Amptweaker Tight Dtive in front of the amp to get tighter tones. I usually see them up on craig's list or reverb.

4. BranchDavidian

BranchDavidian SS.org Regular

Ive done the crate shockwave and the ampeg SS. Im looking for tube tone here.

I mean realistically, if what I need is a bare bones 1 channel screamer with tube tones, it looks like there isnt one.

And if that's the case.. custom amp companies?

5. BranchDavidian

I LIKE IT

6. BranchDavidian

Did you mod the cabinet to turn it into a head? If so got any pics?

7. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Shhhhhhhhhhh !!!! :lalala:

That's our secret.

8. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

I own the Victory Kraken 50 and highly recommend based on what you want.
    • 18lbs (8.2kg)
    • 50 watts (sounds massive, cut's and is super loud. Loudest 50W I've ever owned.)
    • Almost Tiny Terror small.
    • Gain is to the point of to much.
    It has 2 channels and FX loop but that means nothing when you hear the amp and get to carry it around. It's a nice change to carry an amp the size of a tiny terror that sounds to me better than an EVH 5153

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  9. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

Ceriatone makes cool single and two channel amps ready to play or in DIY kit form

10. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Used Mark IV

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I guess you're getting a 5150 block letter or a soldano avenger then :metal:

12. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

At first I didn't change the cabinet at all -- I just created a head shell out of pine that matched the exact dimensions of the upper section of the combo. Then I just unbolted the chassis and moved it into the head shell. Later, I cut the head section off the cabinet so it's a dedicated 1 x 12 cab. I prefer my 4 x 12.:)

I'll post a picture tomorrow of it on top of my 120 watt 6505. They are almost exactly the same size, but the one I made from the 6505+ 112 is way lighter.

I also modded the lead channel to original 5150 specs, which brought it 99% of the way to the tone that an original 5150 has. It is a total monster. Especially for death metal and black metal.

13. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Buried in the mix.

Christian from Defeated Sanity used a 5150 original block letter head through the whole show with the same settings recently, although I'm sure he had a pedal or two running somewhere in the chain as I seen him use a NS-2 before.
    Also, he is on the rhythm channel not the red channel

He has the mids all the way off...

For live playing you need setup convenience and the ability to sound consistent wherever you travel.
    I know how you feel about using pedals as preamps. I am from the time when Metal Zone into Marshall power section was a passable death metal tone. (Even though I love the sound lol) The point is:
    When you use them through a great power section, the results are amazing. The new pedals do not sound the same; they are vastly better. Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro through a 5150iii combo power section was one of the best tones I ever heard (6L6 poweramp.) Funny enough, designed by the same guy that designed the above 5150.
    ISP Theta Preamp Pedal is another high quality unit, nowadays so many are out, Diezel Zerrer, Rivera Metal Shaman, MESA Thottle Box, the list goes on. S&K and Spirytus make a VH140c gain-channel-in-a-pedal, I love my S&K VHD it sounds 99% the same and doesn't weigh 60 pounds.

rexbinary likes this.
  14. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Both my amps would be good here, EVH 5153 50w or Engl Ironball

15. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Hijacking this.
    Do you have any sound samples? All recordings of the Kraken I hear are fizzy and have no punch, I assume it's because reviewers can't dial in a tone to save their lives but I would love to hear how the Kraken comes actually close to a 5153.

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I have one, and I love that thing, but it's neither light nor light on the features. Not sure that counts as minimalist.

17. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I used an Ampeg SS150H for years. Crazy loud, and you felt that thump before every note. Very fun!

18. silverabyss

silverabyss

No a cheap 50w 112 with an MT2 boosted with an HM2

[​IMG]

Beheroth likes this.
  19. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

[​IMG]IMG_2312 by Joe Blow, on Flickr

Here's a pic of all my amps, or as one SS.O member called it, my "tower of murder." The 6505+ 112 head is in the middle. The reason I brought that one up is that they can be had for so cheap (at least in the U.S.). And they're easy to convert into a head if you've access to moderate power tools. A couple mods after that and they'll compete with the big 120 watt versions as well. But yeah, it's also 15-20 pounds lighter. It's lighter than my EVH 50-watt head as well.

BranchDavidian and Deadpool_25 like this.
  20. TheArsonistsDaughter

TheArsonistsDaughter SS.org Regular

EVH 5153 50w for sure. One of the only heavy, high gain heads I've come across that does just fine for tight tech-y stuff with no boost.

Myself, I went the Axe FX 2/ Matrix gt800 route because I use a handful of fx and weirdo patches. Nice to have lots of flexibility in a 4 space rack...