Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by MikeNeal, Jul 1, 2017.
Sweet thread you do some really nice work brother
i decided to apply a clear coat to the body since the wood was so soft.
started with 3 coats of clear
then i wetsanded the clear and buffed
to be honest, I'm not super happy with this body, but since it's just a prototype I'll probably keep going and finish it.
did the fretwork, and strung the guitar up
I'm pretty happy with this one, plays great, and the action is nice and low. ready for wiring now.
ok. big update. got to spend a full day in the shop, so I did alot of work
I drilled the bridge and ferrule holes.
I planed the body flat, and to the proper thickness. then i cut it out on the band saw.
Then i built a 5 piece wenge and flamed maple neck
And i started build 10.
specs so far are padauk body, and a katalox/flamed maple neck
WHere did you get the template to recess the bridge? That's a nice little touch.
I made it myself.
Zebra one is sick!! Starting stained blue zebrano n ash superstrat next so big inspiration
Top work as usual
did the fretwork on build 7, then strung it up. - some remarks about this build. it's by far the loudest electric guitar I've ever played acoustically. it sustains forever, and the body resonates a ton, you really feel every note in your chest.
Badness! love the fretboard n faded finish
Shame about the bit by the jack, call it ergonomic design
worked on #9 today. routed the body, pickup and neck cavities, and the back round over. really happy with how this is turning out.
That's a beauty!!
did the scarf joint on #10 today.
chose a macasser ebony fretboard for this build.
Is that wenge and flamed maple body heavy at all? It looks amazing. I would be interested to hear what a wenge body sounds like, I love my bass and guitar with wenge necks.
It's pretty heavy. I haven't weighed it yet though
did the scarfjoint, and did the inital carve on the backside.
i slotted the macasser ebony fretboard.
so today i thicknessed the necks and fretboards and cut out the shapes on #9 and #10.
theres a scarf joint in there somewhere
i also tried a different carve on the front of #9. instead of the usual bevel i do, i tried to put just a small general radius on the top. i really like the look of flat top guitars, but i dont like the edge digging into my arm, so this is a good compromise i think.
routed the necks and fretboards for # 9 and 10
next step is to route the body for #10. i was holding off doing it, because the ebony fretboard i got for the build was really thin. so I had to make sure it worked as a 7 string first, otherwise the build would have become a 6 string.
first - i needed truss rods for builds 9 and 10 - so build 4 and an uncompleted build met there demise.
then i worked on the body and neck for build 10.
and just for fun, heres a comparison in the color change of padauk from build 4 to build 10. all the padauk was cut from the same board. build 4 was last touched in march, build 10 was sanded today.
I like the color the padauk on build 4 oxidized to, it looks like some of the bubinga I have lying around.