MIJ Ibanez 7 string pre-2000. Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MrWulf, Mar 10, 2019.

1. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Nice score! Always wanted one of those ever since Unearth played them before they got their LACS models.

Thick likes this.
  2. Thick

Thick Member

I got it and it is awesome. It's the first solid-body electric I've had in probably 30 years, and my first electric seven-string ever. I've been playing for a few hours and it feels and sounds great. I realize that an older guitar is going to be a gamble, but it totally paid off. The neck is straight and solid, the intonation is better than my other guitars, it's light, well balanced, and look pretty cool I must say. I can't wait to play it out!

aesthyrian likes this.
  3. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

Old rg7s can be a great buy, but make sure good pics are provided before you order, if online. Particular things i look for are:
    1. Bridge to route symmetry (trem equipped guitars). Check that the front face of the trem is perfectly parallel with the edge of the route. Ive seen plenty of these where the trem posts are leaning allowing the trem to come in contact with the body (thanks basswood)
    2. Locking nut holes on back of neck (check for cracks)
    3. Fret wear (can usually tell in pics if wear is real bad)
    4. Neck pocket (hairline cracks not usually an issue, but big cracks make me weary)
    5. Overall body damage. The typical chips are no big deal to me, but big chunks and endpin tearouts are

Absent all of these issues, these are still excellent viable guitars for a lifetime

aesthyrian likes this.
  4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Good lord. This site has been around so long now that the RG7620 is something of a myth. :lol:

"I have heard it said that there was a time when Ibanez made seven strings at the Fujigen factory, before the days of the Prestiges..."

Pass on the 7420, you get an inferior trem and pickups. The 7620s are very nice guitars, more of a slim C than the slightly girthier D neck carve used today. I personally prefer the newer carve (its very reminiscent of the 2027/7CST shape) but that's a matter of taste. The stock pickups are custom-wound Dimarzios, and while they're better in mahogany (they're the same wind Ibanez had Dimarzio do for the CST, I suspected that for years and finally James McElroy from Cradle of Filth was able to confirm that for me via parts numbers on his CST with stock pickups), they're totally fine. That said, most 7620s have replacement pickups in them by now. The finish on these, all Ibanez guitars from around the time, really, was fairly bbrittle and prone to chipping, so don't be shocked if they have some dings on otherwise well maintained guitars.

I second Max, that at this point if you're buying a 20 year old guitar I'd pay close attention to condition. They were $1400 guitars new, but when the seven string bubble burst they were blown out for $499, and then prices eventually stabilized around $400, generally with a case, for a LONG time after that. Accordingly, they were the best Japanese RG you could buy for the money for years, if you didn't mind the seventh string.

aesthyrian and MrWulf like this.
  5. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Thanks for the direction. So I passed on the 7420s and all it remained are these 3:

https://reverb.com/item/20201228-ibanez-prestige-rg2627z-black-7-string-w-emg RG2627Z
    https://reverb.com/item/14167459-ib...n-7-string-electric-guitar-made-in-japan-ohsc RG1527
    https://reverb.com/item/19462153-19...prestige-mij-lo-pro-edge-7-dimarzios-1527-752 RG7620

Should I take the 7620? It seems to be cheapest one of the bunch while also looked really well in shape as well.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That price seems pretty high for a 7620, especially considering the number of chips along the edges of the body... But it's been a long time since I've really followed pricing on these so it's possible that they've finally started to rise. Who knows.

Last one I bought was sub-$500, but that was at least half a dozen years ago.

7. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

I probably bid it down, if anything. 500 dollars or slightly higher is still a relatively ok deal, methinks.

8. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

The 7620s are great, but god damn that 2627 is sexy.

9. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

https://rvrb.io/rg752gk-ngc8f4 so this little Prestige RG752 with Edge Pro 7 popped up in my feed. Looks really good with the pics, as well as hard case and seemingly a pair of Nazgul/Sentient on it. At that price, is it overprice or good enough for a nab?

aesthyrian likes this.
  10. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

Hi, My name is Jason. Long time lurker and first time replying or posting anything. Just a question.
    Hey Drew. Over the years I've had 3 rg2027xvv's and love the neck profile. When you say the new carve is very reminiscent of the 2027/7CST shape, are you referring to the rg752 models? If so, how noticable is that extra 3mm width on the new necks? It seems like it would be way wider in comparison to the 65mm necks. I've also had 7 different rg7620's and noticed that theres really 2 different neck profiles going on with them. LIke there were different machines making them. One is basically like the 2027, which 2 of the 7620's I've owned were like, and the other 5 were really skinny flat C shaped and pretty uncomfortable to me. It's like you have to bend your wrist extremely up or down to get a good finger position on the fretboard. Like there;s no middle ground. The 2027's have exactly what I'm looking for, plus they had the 3pc maple necks. Wish I never sold them!

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's a Lo-Pro 7. The RG752 never had Edge Pros.

aesthyrian likes this.
  12. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

I think that specific rg7620 is a little over priced. They are going for around $700 now though in good shape. They are getting really diffiicult to find in good shape. This one looks in good condition other than the paint scratches. If the knife edges are good I'd do it for $600 total with shipping, case everything. Think how all these guitars have different bridges which can be a big deal for a lot of people in terms of comfort factor. Also, think about neck construction. The rg7620 is the best value guitar for the money, but it still has a 1 pc neck, which probably won't have issues if it hasn't so far. I'd check out the rg752. It's a good fair price. I'm actually interested in buying it now. The neck on the rg752 is 3mm wider than a rg7620, but has a 5 pc neck which should be more stable. It has a volute with a top mounted nut, which are now easier to find than the rear mounted lock nuts, and still has a LoPro trem on it. It is a sparkle black instead of gloss black, but I kinda like it better cause is won't show finger print smudes just beacause you looked at it! The 2627z looks great too but I wouldn't be interested in it compared to a rg752. Not insterested in that trem personally. The 1527 looks like a good deal too, but the neck profile is a little different on that one compared to a 7620 and it has an EdgePro trem as well. Slightly different but technically a better constructed neck.

aesthyrian likes this.
  13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm afraid I've never owned them at the same time - the CST and 2027 were long gone before I bought a 1527 or a 752 - so I can't say with high certainty since I'm going off recollections of guitars I haven't played in years. But,t he 752 and 1527 both had a thicker, squarer "D" profile to them whereas the two 7620s I owned had a thinner flatter C, with much less in the shoulders. The CST and 2027 both had necks that reminded me a LOT more of the newer profile. I can't say to what degree, I'm afraid, but for whatever it's worth the '04 1527 had the best neck I've played on an Ibanez, and I should have never sold that thing. :lol:

I'm afraid I can't speak to the difference of an extra 3mm - the CST and 2027 have been gone for probably nearly 15 years and my memory isn't THAT good.

14. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Ah ok. For some reason when i looked it up it said that it had an Edge Pro. How does it hold up vs something like a Floyd?

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I love the Lo-Pros. I have guitars that are nearly 30 years old with them and they're solid.

aesthyrian likes this.
  16. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply Drew. I know what you mean. I wish I never sold my 2027's.

I wish Ibanez would just make the guitar I want. It seems to be a continuing compalint with people. What I really want from Ibanez is basically an RG7620 with a a carved top, a 3pc quartesawn maple neck like the rg2027xvv with a volute on the back but a top mount nut with a blank solid blck ebony fretboard. OH, I guess that would basically be a Rg7cst with a top mounted nut for the most part!
    They're making Rgd's with Ebony fretboards, why not a 25.5 scale 7 string? They just won't put all the options together in one guitar even though they make guitars with just as much cost involved. I've been waiting for a couple decades now and they just won't do it. OH well, sorry for the rant and if I got off topic. But my 2 cents for the original poster would be to go with the rg752gk. and regarding the commnet above, yes the LoPro is solid, and comfortable, imo.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That's a common complaint with Ibanez players, sure... but getting more than 2-3 to agree on what those specs SHOULD be is the challenge! :lol: Myself, while the newest 752AHM is actually more or less what I had in mind spec-wise, I ended up just ordering a custom Suhr 7 maybe 4-5 years ago and I haven't looked back.

18. DeathbyDesign

DeathbyDesign Whof arted?

I was able to score a couple of 7420s years ago for cheap (250 bucks or so) on Craigslist. Some people didn't know what they had and were willing to let it go cheap. I kept 1 of the 3 and am currently refinishing it and going to upgrade some of the hardware. The 2 others I sent off in other trades but they were all solid guitars. If you can find one at a low price point in good condition and don't mind upgrading some things, they can be worth the price IMO.

19. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

I ended up low ball on the RG 1527. The seller was having it around 899 plus shipping. I bidded on 600, and he agreed. And maybe he is even near enough for me to pick it up too. This will definitely need a new pair of pickup and a good set up. But for a relatively in good shape Prestige with original hard case, not bad, not bad at all.

https://reverb.com/item/14167459-ib...n-7-string-electric-guitar-made-in-japan-ohsc

20. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

still got a '00 7620 and so many 7string Ibanezes, this one is still one of the favourites (NGD somewhere on this forum)
    I find it more "organic" than the nice but artificial RG1527 - a matter of taste indeed