Michael Romeo just released his first single for his solo album, "Black."

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Xiphos68, May 30, 2018.

1. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

I really doubt that. For many reasons, really, but mainly because the timeline doesn't match up. From the Symphony X Wikipedia page:

"According to singer Russell Allen, the band entered a short hiatus during 2017 in which they did not perform, due in part to his commitment to Adrenaline Mob,[32] although it was announced during a January 2018 interview with Metal Nation that the band had plans to get together in the following months and begin writing a follow up to Underworld.[33] On July 14, 2017, Adrenaline Mob was involved in a serious vehicular accident, which resulted in severe injuries for Allen and two deaths.[34]"

So Russell Allen's statement about the hiatus was in May 2017, a few months before the band's accident in July. Then Russell spends some time recovering from the accident, at which point they announce (in January 2018) that they're going to get together and start writing the new album. This is obviously before Michael Romeo announces his solo album this month (May 2018). Notably, the solo album is a two-parter and supposedly has all sorts of songs and ideas he's been sitting on for awhile. I don't get the impression that this was an aborted Symphony X album that was only written in a couple of months, starting February of this year.

Russell has always said Symphony X is his number one commitment, and I see no reason to doubt that. He's also definitely not bigger than the band, although I'm a big fan of all his side projects/guest appearances, and am glad they've had success.

All in all, I don't see any grounds for the speculation that this solo album was an aborted Symphony X project. Michael Romeo's been interested in doing more solo work for years. Does no one remember how he enlisted the help of his fans to garner votes for a Hans Zimmer apprenticeship competition back in 2014? He's been dying to do orchestral work for ages, and not just stuff that would fit in the wheelhouse of Symphony X.

2. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

I think "getting together to write" usually means Russ getting together with Romeo to hear all of the tracks he has recorded and think about vocals. It's not like they go in and jam and make songs from scratch together, I'm sure Romeo writes non-stop at home and then just presents the ideas to the band when the time comes.

3. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

fuck.. Romeo is definitely my favorite metal guitarist, this is just pure awesomeness as usual for him. It is odd how the lyrical style is still similar to Russel, but just different.. either way, I'll be buying this as soon as its out.

Sermo Lupi likes this.
  4. Sermo Lupi

Sure. Either way, the point being that those songs would be different from the material Romeo wrote for his solo album. That is the most obvious interpretation of the information we have.

5. lurè

lurè SS.org Regular

The track seems pretty good and I agree that sounds like a song that could have been on Paradise Lost, which is totally fine for me.
    Romeo is a beast and I think he's going to focus on new SyX material after this release. Judging from his recent interviews, this solo album has been delayed a couple of times due to touring.

6. Richter

Richter SS.org Regular

Sounds like Paradise Lost - Iconoclast - Underworld SX to me. I guess I was unconsciously expecting a Dark Chapter follow-up so, meh.

7. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

yeah, I would rather listen to a crazy throwback Shrapnel-style shred album than Symphony X b-sides.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'm sure TSO reaches a much larger audience than SX. I've seen both of them live, and although I'd much rather see SX again, the size of the venue and size of the crowd in each case wasn't even vaguely in the same league. I think SX is great, and I truly love supporting them, but Allen, as the voice of SX, is known by name by every SX fan already. Add in the slightly different audience Adrenaline Mob is reaching, and the fact that he is the face of that band, and then top that off with the icing of regular guest appearances with TSO, which is ~100x bigger and loved by metalheads and nonmetalheads alike, and you have a singer with more widespread appeal than the band.

To me, Symphony X is like a supergroup of musicians you never heard of before they were in Symphony X. :lol: Certainly, Romeo, Allen, Rullo, Pinnella, and Lepond are all top notch musicians, and I'm happy to check out anything any one of them records with whatever project, based on name alone. Allen, however, is the only one who's side projects have been diversified to reach a wider audience than just people who would like Symphony X.

The reason why people are saying this sounds like an aborted Symphony X project is most blatantly obvious from just listening to this one track. To say that there are no "grounds for speculation" of that is pretty out of left field in that context. This is not solely orchestral work, or anything like that, this is something that I think 99% of us agree sounds just like Symphony X with a different singer.

9. Sermo Lupi

You're confused over what DLG originally said. Let's go back:

I don't doubt that this song could have been written with Symphony X in mind. In fact, I assume every riff Michael Romeo writes originally has Symphony X in mind, given that it's his main band.

The question is whether Russell Allen's injuries (sustained in July of last year) could have caused Romeo to pull the plug on an upcoming album to cannabalise it for a solo release. Which, again, based on the information I posted above, can't be correct. The band was already on hiatus before Russell's accident (which he announced himself, because he was committed to touring with Adrenaline Mob for the next few months), and it appears his accident did not alter Symphony X's plans to write a new album at the start of this year.

But now that we've cleared that up, could this song have been written as a single for one of the post-Paradise Lost albums and never made the cut? It's definitely possible. If you'll refer back to my first comment in this thread, I said it sounded like the vocal melodies were written for Allen...

Can we really count Trans Siberian Orchestra as a "Russell Allen side project"? Lets see:

I'm sure Allen's very limited role in the Trans Siberian Orchestra exposed him to a wider audience, but 'exposure' in the context of a band that large (in terms of members, I mean) is a very different thing. There's no way that's garnered him more fans than his work in Symphony X.

10. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

I was thinking maybe these tracks are SX rejects, but Romeo likes them enough to want to release them, hence the solo record. The track sounds good to me, missing just a something without Allen singing.

11. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

I was also hoping for a Dark Chapter v.2 :( hopefully the rest of the songs will ve much better