Metallica "soft" years because of Kirk & Lars?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by possumkiller, Feb 6, 2018.

1. possumkiller

possumkiller Custom Title:

I think it was on blabbermouth or some nonsense I read an interview with James about the 90s era metallica. He totally put it on Kirk and Lars! Like seriously he said it was all their idea and he just went along with it! It kind of made me sad really. Load was a good album with some badass songs on it. That have his name all over the writing credits btw... People love the black album. Reload was pretty weak but you can't expect a lot from an albums worth of rejects from the previous album. The only things they really should be ashamed of are St Anger and that touchy feely reality show crap that went along with it. Well ok the symphony stuff was pretty terrible as well. But to blame it all on Kirk and Lars? Come on, Jim!

2. Durtal

Durtal SS.org Regular

Laughable. He's the main songwriter in the band. Can you imagine Mustaine saying an albums sounded the way it because he was just going along with Ellefson?

aesthyrian, FILTHnFEAR and Demiurge like this.
  3. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

i'd like to see a link to said interview

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

curlyvice likes this.
  5. wat

wat SS.org Regular

In that Some Kind Of Monster documentary there was a part where they were jamming and James kept playing some really campy 0---3---5---6 type riffs like he's been doing since Load and Lars was telling him the riffs sounded "stock".

I think what Lars was trying to articulate was that he wanted James to go back to riffs that were more interesting and stop trying to reinvent Smoke on The Water.

When something is so true even Lars knows it :D

6. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

That is as shitty a clickbait article title as it can get.

This is what James said:

There is literally not a single sign of him "blaming" someone for anything. All he is saying that half of the band wanted to do something different and he went with it, because he thinks something works best when everyone is behind it. Hell, he literally says "at the time it felt like the right thing to do".

No blaming, no nothing. Just a decision inside the band being accepted by one of the bands members.

7. curlyvice

curlyvice SS.org Regular

From the article:

James talking about Load and Reload - "I said, ‘I’m going with Lars’ and Kirk’s vision on this. You guys are extremely passionate about this, so I’ll jump on board, because if the four of us are into it, it’s going to be better.’ So I did my best with it, and it didn’t pan out as good as I was hoping, but, again, there’s no regrets, because at the time it felt like the right thing to do."

He does put it on Kirk and Lars but the way he explains it makes a lot of sense from a band perspective. There's always going to be compromise in a band setting and it sounds like he was trying to let them have this one because they (Kirk and Lars) were really feeling it at the time.

fps likes this.
  8. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

No because Dave went along with Lars who said in an interview (or somewhere) that Dave couldn't Risk it.

9. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS I’m a grown ass man

I actually love those albums. Everything they’ve done except St. Anger I equally important to me. I dont know if i love them all because i was a kid growing up listening to them out of order, if it was because they were the band that got me into metal at 8 years old, or if I’m just more open minded than most fans.

Sure Load and Reload are nothing at all like the first 5, but people would complain just as much if they just released the same albums over and over.

Also Reload is not weak. It’s actually heavier than Load and i thought people just don’t give it an honest chance

10. possumkiller

It definitely is heavier than Load. Back when it first came out (I was like 14) I read the guitar world interview where James was saying that they spent a shit ton of time in the studio perfecting Load and then recorded reload during or just between tours and used their live rig. All the load and reload songs were written during the crazy long black album tour but they had so many songs they split it into two albums. Just reload didn't get all the same effort put into load.

90s metallica is what got me into heavy music and away from the country and christian music my family was forcing on me. It definitely doesn't sound like 80s thrash metallica but load is like a genre all it's own. It's a very cool mix of styles.

HUGH JAYNUS likes this.
  11. fps

fps Kit

I really like lots of tracks from Load and ReLoad, it's just, as has been said many, many times, they should have picked the best 14 or so and put them on one album.
    Doesn't sound like Hetfield's blaming anyone especially, sounds like he was being a good team player by committing fully to the endeavour.
    Finally, James and Lars are the key songwriters, always have been. The amount that Lars' abilities are underestimated by (literally) a bunch of amateurs is laughable. So within that relationship there's some give and take, and in this case Hetfield committed himself more to someone else's vision. It's not like he did nothing, he committed and I'm sure he also found it a rewarding artistic experience.

St Anger remains the sound of a band breaking up both personally and interpersonally. I'm very glad they didn't.

KailM likes this.
  12. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I don't get the massive hate for St. Anger. It's got good riffs and it sounds honest. It's my favorite after the first 5. Load and Reload on the other hand have absolutely nothing that interests me. And I can't really say I'm interested in knowing "whose fault" they were, not that it seemed like that was what James was saying. The band was already heading in that direction anyway. Black Album wasn't that great...

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  13. possumkiller

He doesn't straight up blame them for it but the way he talks makes it seem like he really wants to downplay any role he had in it. Like he's ashamed of the past or something.

It reminds me of Ihsahn and his desperation to distance himself from the early black metal scene in which he was a major founder. It tells me that they take it all way too seriously. It's show business, an act, a performance. Something to help the rest of us sad losers have a bit of fun and blow off steam.

14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

This is maybe better suited for the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I think ...And Justice for All had the potential to have been their best album, save for the bass nonsense. I mean all levels of respect to Cliff, and I think he had a lasting iunfluence on that album, but the title track, "Blackened," and "One" were three of the band's best guitar riffs and also very tasteful drumming, as well as good all around songwriting. I could never really get into Kill 'Em All, and I thought that their selftitled/untitled/blacktitled album was a clear departure for them into more commercial exploits, which was god for them at the time, but really not as interesting for me on a personal level as Master of Puppets nor Ride the Lightning. As if anyone really cares what I think about classic Metallica anyway, but man, I really did not get into Reload. Just had zero interest in that album at that point in my life.

Durtal likes this.
  15. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Imo Justice was good, but not on the level of Puppets/RTL, production values disregarded. Dyers Eve is one of my all time favorites, Blackened and One are good, but overall the album drags a bit. It doesn't have the momentum of the earlier albums I think.

For me it goes like this:

1. Puppets/RTL
    2. KEA
    3. Justice
    4. Black Album
    5. St. Anger
    6. Not that interested anymore

16. possumkiller

I've gotten to the point where I don't listen to AJFA or the black album just because the mix sounds so horrible. They both sound like they've had every ounce of tone scooped out of every single instrument. They sounded great when I was a teenager but 20 years later they sound awful.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Unpopular opinion: I think the that symphony dealie they did, S+M, was probably one of the best things they ever did. Sounded great.

SD83, fps, Newkie and 5 others like this.
  18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

of course the first 5 are "metallica' ,well for my its first 4 I can take or leave a bunch of the black album, but to me load and reload sound like some metal guys who are getting older and tastes are changing a little

the stuff after sounds like a bunch of old guys forcing it .I found that last album cringworthy

failsafe likes this.
  19. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

This guy gets it.

20. possumkiller

To me it sounded like someone blasting the score of Die Hard while also blasting metallica songs.