Meshuggah - "I" Drum cover...

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by toothbrush, Jun 14, 2018.

1. toothbrush

toothbrush SS.org Regular

...and 'rest of the instruments' cover. Got in contact with my new buddy Sam and we agreed to attempt this track together. Took some time but worth the effort! Can't get enough of the outro riff; probably Meshuggah's best outro, and they've got a lot of 'em. Hope some of you enjoy it...thank you!

Eptaceros, IGC, SYLrules88 and 8 others like this.
  2. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

Fucking. Madness. I try to play along with this song and lose track of where I am in about 20 seconds.

3. toothbrush

Thanks, Soya! Well you can tell that I'm reading some of those notes in the first 20 seconds, hence my charts throughout... :D There are portions of pattern here and there, but the entire piece has lots of randomness..!

4. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

That's insane!! I'd always had the thought in my mind that I'd like to learn this one but that would be one hell of a project to take on hahha. It's a shame the drum section doesn't get more activity because this thread deserves way more than two comments.

5. toothbrush

SYLrules88 Two comments are better than none, so I'll take 'em! But yeah, thanks for checking out the cover. "I" is honestly more learnable than you might imagine. The randomness of basically every section is what (obviously) makes it tough. Use the charts I created if you wanna have a stab at it!

6. Christopher Beattie

Christopher Beattie SS.org Regular

You and Sam killed it on this one man!

7. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

The music isn't my style, but amazing technique and timing. It's confusing even to listen to. I can't imagine trying to play that. Incredible job.

8. toothbrush

Christopher Beattie, thanks dude! We worked as hard as we could on this project. Glad ya dug it!
    Flappydoodle, "It's confusing even to listen to." <--- Haha, I'm right there with you totally. The first time I heard "I", I was completely confused by the whole thing. Still am, honestly! Thanks for watching

Christopher Beattie likes this.