Mesa Mark V vs JP2C?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MetalThrasher, Aug 31, 2016.

1. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

I have a Mark V 35 which I really like and plan on keeping but ever since the JP2C came out I've been interested! I realize that my Mark V 35 is close to but not quite the same as a full size Mark V. How would you guys compare the full size Mark V to the JP2C? If it helps I am playing through an Orange PC412 cab. Going for a thrash metal tone on my 7's tuned to either B flat or A.

2. jwiltz2072

jwiltz2072 SS.org Regular

The JP2C can do low tuned thrash easily. The only question is if it would be that much of an upgrade tonally for you. I havent tried the Mark V but I compared the JP2C to my Mark IV and honestly, the difference wasnt worth it. If I didnt own the IV I would buy the JP though fwiw. But you really would need to play one to see.

3. protest

protest SS.org Regular

If you're going for an amp really just for the high gain tone than a Mark IV or Mark III would be a better option than the V. I would probably take the IV over the III because the III's are now 30+ years old, they're basically the same price as the IV, and the IV is more versatile.

The V is one of the most versatile amps in existence. Not many amps, even ones with more channels, can do that many sounds as well as the V does them. However, it doesn't really nail the classic Mark sound. The reason to get a V is for all the versatility. If you don't need that, and just want the classic Mark sound you'll be better served with the cheaper options of a III or IV. If you want to buy new and have the cash then by all accounts the JP-2C is a great amp.

4. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Personally I really like the MIDI capabilities of the JP model!

not that common on Mesa heads!

5. Caleb Joshua

Caleb Joshua SS.org Regular

I have the mark V and the JP-2C, im using a crazy effects setup and playing them mostly in my treated room with the Two notes studio. I also use two Mesa Vertical 2x12s. I wish i had saved my 3500$ because i have ended up using the mark v and an RJM mini amp gizmo again all the time. :(

6. Jaxcharvel

Jaxcharvel SS.org Regular

I've owned the MV for about 5 years. I tried out a JP2C extensively last week. I'm a bit biased, but i prefer my MV over the JP. The cleans are substantially better on the V, and in my opinion i like the high gain tones on the V better as well. That's totally subjective though. The JP wailed, and it sounded fantastic, and honestly they were fairly close, but the V edges the JP out, for me at least.

7. MetalThrasher

Thanks for the advice! GAS has been killed for the JP2C as I already have a Mark III :metal: BTW do you guys know how I can tell what stripe model Mark III I have? I've always wondered that but have never looked into it because the amp has always sounded great to me since I've had it for close to 20 years! Darn, now I'm showing my age LOL!

8. Qweklain

Qweklain SS.org Regular

Like most signature amps, they are built off of a production amp and just tweak the voicing on the channels and maybe add a couple features as requested. I bet you could get within 95% of the JP with a standard Mk-V. I have not played a JP though so I could always be wrong, and, as always, tone is subjective.

9. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

There should be a little stripe written in sharpie near the power chord of the back of the amp. There may also be a black dot or no stripe.

Having owned a V25, V, IV, and played a III pretty extensively, I find that there is a general tone that they all have that is similar...however, I kept my IV because it has the best overall tone, to me, on both channels. From what I've read, it seems the JP2C is more similar to the IV than the rest of the Mark series.

10. protest

protest SS.org Regular

The production amp that the JP2C is based on is a 30+ year old Mark IIC+ owned by Petrucci. :2c:

11. MetalThrasher

I just looked at my Mark III and I can't see any stripeĀ…. I do see a slight black sharpie mark though. Does this mean anything? Where can I find the serial number on the amp? I've tried looking but can't seem to find it.

12. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

Sounds like you have a black stripe then, that's literally how they marked them, with a swipe of colored permanent marker near the power cable.

Here's a link on where to find your serial number, http://mesaboogie.com/amplitudes/2010/November/where-is-the-serial-number-on-my-mesa-amp.html

I had an '87 red stripe Mark III which I regret selling, killer amp! I think the main draw for the JP2C is the dual graphic EQ's and the "authentic IIC+ tone". Not really worth the price if you ask me, though I'm sure it's also a killer amp.