Massive NPD/NAD! Yamaha, T.C. Electronic, MXR, AMT content

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Legion, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

First, PICS:

Yamaha THR100H:

[​IMG]

ALL THE PEDALS:

[​IMG]

So, quick reviews:

Yamaha THR100H:

THE GOOD
    - EXCELLENT tone, feel and response.
    - If I were blindfolded I'd think it were a tube amp.
    - Impulse response support
    - The THR Edit software incredible and takes the utility of the unit to another level
    - The layout of knobs and controls essentially kills option paralysis that occurs with Fractals or Pods
    - You can even select the power tube type, holy shit.
    - Takes overdrives and mild distortions like an absolute champ!

THE BAD
    - I wish I went for the 2 channel version
    - Somehow the Brit Hi model is conspicuously absent. It was the best model on the THR5.
    - The amps seem to not have too much gain? The kind of need help from the boost feature.
    - Does not take higher gain distortion pedals too well.

T.C. Electronic Dark Matter

THE GOOD
    - Lovely sound. Nails the "Marshall Crunch" tone.
    - Costs like 40 bucks new, wtf?!
    - The EQ, while being only 2 band, is very powerful. Seems like an active Baxandall circuit (don't quote me on that though).

THE BAD
    - Sounds amazing, doesn't feel tubey. Feels a bit stiff.
    - The "tone shift" switch doesn't do a whole lot.
    - Range of usable gain isn't much, turn the gain knob up too much and it turns into something closer to a fuzz (could be a good thing for some people).
    - Footswitch feels SLIGHTLY flimsy.

Diezel VH4 Pedal

THE GOOD
    - AMAZING pedal, but be careful what amp you play it into. Not every amp can handle the gain and sheer amount of low end this thing kicks out. Pretty crazy.
    - Caveat: I used this straight into my Scarlett 2i2 with an impulse response.
    - It's insane fun to sit and chug away on a low string with how good this thing this sounds.

THE BAD
    - Well, it's picky about what amp it goes into.
    - The Deep and Presence knobs are VERY sensitive and it's easy to end up with unusable tones if you crank them too much.

AMT D2 and M2

THE GOOD
    - Both FANTASTIC pedals. M2 does what the Dark Matter doesn't, feel tubey as hell. The pick attack has that nice squishy feeling that just makes you want to play more and more. D2 is amazing too, very clear distortion, big and fat. The VH4 pedal is a decent bit fatter and thicker because of the Deep knob, but somehow the D2 feels clearer on big ass chords.

THE BAD
    - I kind of have nothing bad to say about these things. They cannot run on 9V batteries, I guess?

MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive

THE GOOD
    - Sounds great at what it does.
    - The Bump switch and the 100Hz boost/cut knob is superb. Wide range of usable tones.

THE BAD
    - The pedal, when switched off and then on again, sounds really weak. I have to turn the 100Hz knob ALL the way up and then back to my preferred setting for it to return to normal.
    - I think I got a lemon. Sad, because this was my first MXR pedal.
    - Unfortunately I ordered this long ago off of Amazon and went on international travel. On returning, I picked up the pedal and tested it to find out that it was a lemon and by then the return window had closed.
    - The MXR warranty is only valid if you mail them a form within 30 days of original purchase. I got burned on this one.
    - I'd like you guys to tell me if MXR has a reputation for bad pedals? Should I give MXR another chance? Lemme know.

Thanks for reading this big ass post! Cheers!

wakjob, Shask, NickS and 4 others like this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I've never had a bad MXR pedal. I've had my MXRs had water dumped on them, angry person stomp on my wah when they were mad at me, and all sorts of stuff. I have gotten pedals from Amazon before that were incredibly weak, and seem broke. They are a BBE G Screamer and BBE Blacksmith. The G Screamer would be a cool Tube Screamer type pedal, but it seems like it's barely unity at 100% on the level control, even with the gain up. Only two pedals I have seemingly had trouble with from Amazon, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

3. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Very odd...

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

I've never had a problem with mxr pedals. damn shame about the CBMOD not working properly, I think that's one of the best aggressive ODs out there for under 100$.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  5. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Thx for the detailed review. And of course congrats, mate. D2 is the $hit. BTW try Friedman BE-OD

6. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Grats man, pics are not working by the way.

7. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Seem to be working fine for me....

8. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

That's because they're already in your cache. Imgur blocks traffic from any forum that has a classified section, including SSO.

9. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I love my CBMOD. I keep the bump switch on, Level cranked (this pedal could use a bit more compared to my old Maxon OD808), 100hz about 9 o'clock for 7's and 11 o'clock for sixer drop C shiz if I remember to change it.

10. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Well I love the THR series, but I've always said that the consumer NEEDS to have the ability to "a-la-cart" any amp sim they want into them.

Just plain numbers on the dial... amp #1, #2, #3, ect...

And you're right, the Brit Hi was the selling point for that amp.
    Sorry you didn't get it with the THR100.