Making Woodstock Rock: a half dozen kits!

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by MoonJelly, May 14, 2018.

1. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Did a little finish sanding on the V. This time around I'm using oil as a sealer and it's had me thinking "why didn't I do it this way all along?" After the sun comes out again I'll sand with 800 grit and brush on some poly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics are in reverse order. Imgbb seems to do that a lot. Also I swear I have never seen so much rain in Geogia. :spock:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    IGC, Omzig, BlackMastodon and 3 others like this.
  2. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

Love the V! Great work all round. I need to start adding a thin laminate in the body sandwich now, that looks great.

MoonJelly likes this.
  3. MoonJelly

Thanks, at this point the V has been in progress for far too long, so I'm hoping I feel completely satisfied with the fit and finish this time around...

Here's hoping there are no big issues with the wenge-topped guitar. If it keeps going along like it has been, it may be my new favorite. :pray:

4. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Dam fine work,love the crimson stain on that V

5. MoonJelly

A couple little drops of oil on the back, I sanded those out and hit with the final coat of oil on the body. Not pictured was the neck sanded to 800 grit, feels awesome but the fret ends are still sharp. In a couple days everything will get the 800 grit, and the clear poly will go on like glass

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still gonna make Woodstock rock, too. Used my replacement truss rod bit today, which broke on the third pass :noway:

I still had the stubby one however, and carried on through 4 truss rods! These necks won't have an angled headstock; I plan to drill a 5mm hole for access.

[​IMG]

BlackMastodon likes this.
  6. MoonJelly

A fair bit of neck work done today. Once again I went a bit afield, and decided to do 2 set necks, 2 bolt ons. My thought was to use the bolt-ons to protoype out a regular six neck, and the one with the chechen stripes will be a fanned neck, whether 6 or 7 I'm still undecided.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before I glued the fretboards on each neck, I made sure the hex key would properly insert to the truss rod. One was absolutely perfect on the first try (above) while the other two took a bit of massaging to get right. Then I lay down a bit of masking tape and paint the glue on. The masking tape comes off just before you clamp, which keeps the glue from seeping into the truss rod channel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here was the least cooperative neck, this was right after I changed my bandsaw blade and it wasn't properly tensioned :spock: All ended well, however, and that hideous surface will plane right out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My bolt necks in progress, ready for clamping tomorrow. Originally I was going to do a 4-bolt pattern, but with the reduced size of the heel 3 bolts should be fine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be trying something a little more funky for the cherry/chechen headstock...it's a bit daring, so stay tuned to see if it all goes awry, I'll have several hours put into a nice bit of firewood :yesway:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 2:59 PM
    Kyle01 likes this.
  7. MoonJelly

Micro update. Getting so close to the clear coat stage but I really don't want to have to do a third attempt, so I finish sanded to 800 grit and did a final hard-rubbed coat of Tru-Oil, which looks fantastic on its own. In a few days I'll do 1-2 coats of brush on clear, my hope is that 4-6 coats will work well for this method.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also broke out this PME top I ordered early this year, this will go on a catalpa body. Likely will be for a semihollow build, so before it gets glued on I will fill the worm holes with ebony filler or an epoxy, haven't decided.
    [​IMG]

KnightBrolaire and IGC like this.
  8. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

That PME top is very nice! Seems hard to come by in top size.

9. MoonJelly

Try shabbyhicguitars on eBay, they always seem to have new PME stock.

IGC and KnightBrolaire like this.
  10. MoonJelly

[​IMG]
    Working on the necks + a maple carve top. Below is the redneck method for bookmatching a guitar top :yesway:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018 at 6:37 PM
    KnightBrolaire likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

haha that's exactly what I do for bookmatching billets. one of these days I really need to get a bandsaw.