Looking for song suggestions

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by _Bleak, Aug 18, 2011.

1. _Bleak

_Bleak SS.org Regular

Hi. Brand new here. Picking up my first ERG today - an Ibanez RGA8. Looking for suggestions for songs to learn that are good for getting used to an 8 string. Thanks.

2. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

I'd suggest working on extending scales you know onto the extra strings

3. flyboy463

flyboy463 Community Retard

Sweet, how does it feel?

As far as getting used to using the 8th string I'd recommend some Deftones (easy) or some Meshuggah (Dat syncopation) if you feel up to it.

Of course if you are really good there is always Animals as Leaders.

4. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

This

5. Oceans

Oceans Banned

Meshuggah, some whitechapel (breeding violence), Animals as leaders (soraya, Point to point) of course, Periphery, Keith Merrow (Wrong Axis)

6. _Bleak

_Bleak SS.org Regular

Thanks everyone.

I'm loving the 8 string. I actually find it easier to play than a 6 string. I think that the size of the neck and the scale of an 8 string just fits me better. When I play 6, I tend to feel like my fingers are getting tied up with eachother.

I have been working on some Scale the Summit songs. I find their stuff pretty easy to learn.

Anyone know where to find accurate AaL tabs (or Periphery)? I love Tosin's lead stuff. I'm not really into playing rhythm or chug stuff, so Meshuggah isn't really what I'm looking for. Even though I love listening to them. Never listened to White Chapel before, so I'll check them out. Keith Merrow has tabs on his site right? I've never really been good at learning by ear...

Also, unrelated but is there a "view your posts" link somewhere on this forum? I had to search to find this thread again.

7. pstol

pstol SS.org Regular

Get a metronome, cut it back to 40bpm, and start with CAFO by Animals as Leaders. Your fingers will hate you short term, but thank you in the long run :)

8. _Bleak

_Bleak SS.org Regular

Just started this last night. You are a cruel person. lol.

9. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Write your own music :coffee:

Seriously, when I first got my 7 (its not an 8, but the point is still there) I had no need for it, no reason other then I wanted one, so I did. I only listen to Animals as leaders that used 7 strings, so I learnt some of that.. and then had nothing else as I'm not really into the whole brutal metal and djent scene, so I tried writing my own music. Best thing to happen to my compositions, even though its just 1 extra string, it completely changed the way I viewed the instrument and approached song writing.

10. _Bleak

_Bleak SS.org Regular

Well, I do this as well. My old guitar teacher though always encouraged learning songs as a means of "increasing your musical vocabulary" and understanding of composition. It's also easier to practice technique this way.

11. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Click on your (or anyone's) name, then the Statistics tab. Or do an advanced search using your name.

12. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

An easy song, is Jonathan Davis and the SFA;s version of Got Money. Its easy and played on an 8 string. Good for getting used to it.

13. clockworksam

clockworksam Atmosphere Geek

Go for Chimp Spanner - The Mirror. Learn the rhythm parts first before you try and tackle the leads. should be some tabs in the chimp spaner tabs section. This song is ideal as it covers a wide spectrum of all 8 strings, and dont be daunted by the song length, try it section by section. :)

14. holland1945

holland1945 SS.org Regular

When I started playing I would pick a note and find all of its positions on the neck. I would go from high to low, low to high and play only that note all over the board. Once I got that note down I would go to the next. I did the same thing when I moved to 7s. I know with an 8 this might take some time. It did help me a lot though and if no one has ever done this I suggest you give it a shot.