Live Performance Vid - Using Backing Tracks

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Rawkmann, Jan 30, 2018.

1. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I gotta agree with this, but from a fake-bass-player stand-point.
    Where I live, most musicians are in 3 other bands (too busy) and/or suck (not implying I'm fantastic by any stretch - just an observation) and/or are annoying to deal with.
    So, I recorded the bass tracks myself for our album (normal guitar/vox duties) and use those bass tracks as backing tracks live. Not only do I know exactly what I'm getting live, but there is way more room on stage and no bitchy bass player to deal with.
    Sure, having Dominic "Forest" Lapointe in my band would be great, but impossible. Having someone that is awesome and doesn't bitch and complain about jamming/shows/etc/etc would be great too. Not around here.
    I don't miss the extra human being. Less ppl and less headaches and just as much fun, if not more, due to reasons mentioned? yup.

lewis likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

You didnt get the memo. Apparently you shouldnt be having fun doing this.. haha

but yeah, exactly. Well said. Same situation as me.

from the perspective of drummer. I actually prefer that super tight/Fear Factory style drums so really, programmed drums rather than a dude you are relying on to play super tight and be in with the backing track super tight at the same time, is a complete non starter in my area.
    ergo, its fun for me.... lol

3. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

Fear Factory :eddie:
    I think we'll see more and more of this type of band. Zombie13 has a good thing going. If you can't find ppl to work with, just program them. I saw a Fluff video where he programmed guitars and it sounded good. Imagine a real drummer and bass player with programmed guitars? Throw some distortion/effects on a text-to-speech .wav file and you don't have to worry about a drunk-ass/ego-maniac singer! Sounds kinda funny actually, like some twilight-zone episonde or something. It's going to happen sooner or later.

lewis likes this.
  4. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

Sorry, but your personal anecdote of one experience with a "half decent" drummer, referencing a lazy review that only highlights your band's showmanship, does not bring anything to the table.

You clearly still don't understand my point if you think my argument suggests that I'm stressing some kind of visual importance of having a real drummer. Are you confusing me with another poster here? Nothing I've posted even remotely touches on visual aesthetic. I'm literally only talking about the physical and mental interplay between live musicians in conjuction with a real, proficient and musical drummer.

It's not about playing as tight as a backing track, it's about the organic relationship between shifts of pacing and feel, fluctuations in human dynamics, and the sonic "dance" that happens between members that are interlocked in the same song. I've played with many sick drummers (blessed for having grown up in NYC), and I've played along to programmed drums. Nothing compares to the feeling of playing with a real drummer, from a musician's standpoint. I don't care about the audience's perspective or some dude's half baked review. They're not the ones physically playing the music. And I sure as shit don't consider wireless setups and light shows prominent factors for a good performance. On a purely musical level, nothing compares to playing with a real drummer. If you don't agree, it's because of your lack of qualified experience.

Again, if you need a drum backing track for logistical/practical reasons, I'm not going to pout and complain about the inauthenticity of the show. I 100% understand that you are not in a practical position to get to play with a real drummer and you have to make do with whatever's available. I respect that you keep the show going no matter what. All that being said, you have no right to say the other perspective is stupid, and that's because you simply haven't had the experience yet.

I've gone too far in depth with this reply for the sake of ending it here, because it will eventually turn into another human/machine debate. Finding a great drummer is like finding your musical soulmate, playing with a drum machine is the equivalent of using a real doll. Is playing along with a drum machine fun? Sure, it can be! But it ain't the real deal, and if you refuse to see that, I feel bad for you.

lewis likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

firstly yeah Im completely confusing you with the other poster/posts that mention lack of visuals live with programmed drums.

2ndly, I kind of wish this was your first reply because its much clearer to understand your point now and would have avoided the confusion haha.

Eptaceros likes this.
  6. Eptaceros

No worries. At the end of the day, do what you can and have as much fun as possible.

lewis likes this.
  7. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

*UPDATE*

So, we finally managed to snag an awesome drummer whom I actually used to play with in a death metal band with several years ago and our vocalist is pulling double duty on bass as well so bye-bye backing tracks! We played our first live show a few nights ago and yes, to me it was much more gratifying than relying on pre-recorded tracks. Having said that, I'm not disappointed in the slightest that we took the backing track route for the time being. It definitely helped in getting us established and likely was a leading factor in finding a real drummer.

iron blast likes this.
  8. Eptaceros

Great to hear! Props to your vocalist for doing double duty, I always have respect for those frontmen.

9. TheArsonistsDaughter

TheArsonistsDaughter SS.org Regular

As a fan of band like Godflesh and Genghis Tron, I'm fully on board with programmed drums. It's harder for me to get the current Rings of Saturn deal where it's a drummer, singer, and guitar and they're using backing for bass and a second guitar. Just seems weird that the guy that started the band doesn't play live with them...so maybe that has less to do with backing tracks and more of an overall head scratch...lol

I'm surprised there aren't more bands doing it honestly. The difficulty of finding a good drummer coupled with the quality and good sound of something like EZDrummer would make it much easier. I do think there is the challenge of how to play the tracks live as a beginning band in venues with questionable PAs. While my band was on hiatus I had grand plans to start a programmed drums based project, but with the intent of having the programming doing things a human drummer couldn't...layering acoustic/electronic beats, inhumanly fast, distorted/jacked up sounds, etc. But as someone who has had the distinct pleasure of playing with an amazing drummer...and over the course of 10 years having developed the ability to improvise incredibly complex playing as a way to write and generate new songs, it was super hard for me to write anything. Either I couldn't find drum parts that worked with what I was writing or I'd try and start with drum parts and ended up not writing what I wanted to on guitar. Super glad said drummer called me up in January and we got the band going again...otherwise my band days were probably over!

TNihil likes this.
  10. failsafe

failsafe SS.org Regular

I would never watch a metal band with canned drums. Call me old fashioned lol.

11. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

Been doing backing tracks with in ears for click track, keys, sampling, drums and 3rd guitar harmonies for quite a few years with my band. The only thing I miss about a live drummer is the visual aspect honestly and I've played with several tight drummers. Not having to haul all those drums, having more stage room, the setup and tear down time saved, lack of another member to have to pay, not having wait for at rehearsal, and not having to listen to bitch or deal with on writting all more then make up for it. I personally dont dig having the drummer control our tempo they fluctuate far too much imho playing to click with programmed drums is the best solution unless you can afford to hire a pro that will shut up and do what they are told and set their own stuff up.

buriedoutback likes this.