Line 6 POD HD Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Variant, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

If by "floorboard" you mean the Shortboard Mk2 or Mk3...

When you're setting up your patch in HD Edit, set the expression pedal to be in Wah mode and save/send to pod. When you switch to that patch, the pedal should be in Wah mode.

lewis likes this.
  2. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I looked into this before and found that nothing will make your amp sound like a tube amp if it's not a tube amp. Also, you would typically not want to place distortion effects/pedals/preamps in an FX Loop.

3. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

By the way @lewis I figured out a way to do what you proposed (using your tube amp for distortion and the POD for cleans). You have to set up two signal paths, putting a volume block in the beginning of each, both on 0%. On one path it should be followed by the clean amp without cab sim, the other path contains the FX loop block. The idea is to have one volume block on and the other switched off and both assigned to the same footswitch. By pressing the footswitch you can activate either one path or the other. The only downside I found is, that you lose a few free blocks for this method but it works without any lag or popping noises.

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh man thats awesome. Thank you for doing this.

I will type this out in a step by step guide and next month, when I have my power amp will use this guide to set it up.
    My rhythm tone path would likely only be a noise gate and a screamer with the clean side being reverb,chorus and delay. Hopefully by not using the built in cab sounds on either path, i save enough DSP to have all the effects blocks I need.

EDIT: I presume this also means that having 1 complete patch with the effects loop in to activate rhythm, and then a completely different patch without the effects loop block and just clean amp sounds/effects, produces no sound/output because of the 4CM and therefore the only way to do it, is how you suggested?

5. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

That works and is what I did at first. However, switching between patches has a certain latency and I couldn't live with the delay between two patches, especially live. If you use it mostly for bedroom purposes it should be fine but in a live setting it's quite annoying, that's why I was looking for a different method.

6. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Does anyone know how to change the program change midi message that's sent on patch change? This is driving me nuts.

I have my FBV Mk2 connected to my HD Pro and set to ABCD mode. While on any setlist, only presets 01A, 01B and 01C change the amp channels. However, I'd like this to happen with all banks. Anyone have any clue?

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

anyone know if the variax shuriken works with the hd pro?
    all im seeing is helix demos with it.

8. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

straight from the product page:

OPTIMIZED FOR LINE 6 MULTI-EFFECTS
    Take your tone even further.
    Variax Shuriken can be incorporated into any guitar rig, but is uniquely optimized for use with Line 6 modelers and multi-effects, including the Helix™, POD® HD and Firehawk® families. Create special presets that allow you to change amp, effect, and guitar models, as well as guitar tunings, all on the fly with the touch of a switch.

lewis likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ah thank god. I couldnt get the website to open on my phone.

Im gas'ing hard for a shuriken having spent all day yesterday watching stevic slay and demo his.

Nicki likes this.
  10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ok guys,
    this will be my first forray into Midi.

Impulse buying a Randall T2 head yesterday (which has Midi/midi thru etc) has meant Im going to be keen on using my HD Pro with it 4cm.

Now can i set up the amp so the FBV shortboard infront of me changes HD Pro patches AND amp channels at the same time?.

or vice versa?. I.e having the Randall channel switcher infront of me with no FBV shortboard, and just changing amp channels also changes Pod patches at the same time?.

Ideally option 1 would be the preference because the FBV has the expression pedal built in that I want to use for divebombs.
    But if it would only work the other way around with the Amp footswitch controlling the Pod too then so be it.

Anyone help with this?.

also, how do you actually programme midi?.
    So I have the HD Pro editor open, and its connected to the amps midi, what do I do to make them communicate properly?. Is it programmable via the HD Pro edit software?

11. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Best Pod HD patches in 2018? I'm getting 500X (again) tomorrow for rehearsal and live to use it with tube amps power section and a real cab. So I'm trying to dial in new tones, and experimenting different ways of dialing them in. For example are John Browne's patches any good, if you want to buy some patches, and is it any worth it? Of course I know he can get crushing tones out of any Line 6 unit, but some user experiences would be nice to know.

Thinking these guys had good sounds out of Pod HD.

https://line6.com/customtone/profile/Soulhenge/

http://presetron.com/presets/101024

lewis likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

@Kirill5412 any help bud /\ ? :)

also yeah i really rate soulhenge too

Metropolis likes this.
  13. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Killer patches from both :hbang: And they are almost free from fiddling around with compressors, vintage pre's and tons of eq's. Bonus is that some of them are dialed in just using pre-amps. There is something so wrong about how power-amp modeling plays with cab modeling in these units, very often it just muds up everything. Unfortunately Angl XXL cab with SM57 on axis is almost only passable combination for modern hi-gain metal. Dialing in tones doesn't really need much if power-amp and cab section are disabled.

As former owner of Pod HD300, HD Bean and another HD500X this was new and refreshing approach. Quite simple, if I may say so. Because always it's not with these units.

lewis likes this.
  14. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

Finally got around to getting an HD500X

lewis likes this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

that active monitor seems awesome.

Would you recommend?
    Would be perfect for my bands Kemper/Axe FX II live setup.

16. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

Yes, if you can find a Line 6 Stagesource speaker, either l3t or l3m, get it!

lewis likes this.
  17. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Bruh. You had your hair cut!

lewis likes this.
  18. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

I did!

Sogradde and lewis like this.
  19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

either that or this whole time you were gigging with a wig on? hahaha