Leprous - The Congregation (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by DLG, Apr 7, 2015.

1. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

First single from the new album, sounds like a slightly proggier version of 'The Congregation'. A few obvious rhymes in there though, really pull you out.

Lorcan Ward likes this.
  2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

That has really made me appreciate the new The Contortionist, but ymmv.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I dig the song. It's not the best thing they've ever done, but not bad by any stretch. :yesway:

4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

First time ever hearing this band and I like what I hear! Must check out their older stuff.

5. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I like this tune a lot, like 100x times as much as anything on Coal or The Congregation. It's so nice to hear melodic music from these guys again, the last two albums seemed like a bunch of repetitive 8 string rhythms with little to no direction for me.

6. chewpac

chewpac working up to 7...

i like this new track a lot. it got me back in to the last couple albums, which i really liked...

7. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

the new song is fuckin sweet

C_Henderson and TedEH like this.
  8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

1st impression... meh

9. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Yeah...gotta be honest. None of this new stuff is doing anything for me. I get how they're pivoting from the one-riff staccato songs of their last album or so, but now they're too simplified. None of the harmonic hookiness of "Forced Entry" or "Painful Detour" or "Foe". They're basically a slightly proggier Biffy Clyro now.

Shame. I caught them live on their last US trek, and they're fantastic with a catalog of greatness to plunder, but the albums are producing diminishing returns at this point.

chopeth likes this.
  10. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I hear you. I'm a big fan, saw them three times this years, buy their cds, even the congregation, a bit weaker than magnificient coal and bilateral, I consider a good album, but this song didn't mean anything to me. Turning to the conventional. But anyway, I won't judge until the full album is out, but I dread the worst.

11. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

After Einar's adventure with Priest, I was hoping for a more diverse album. Maybe I should just give more time for these songs to bloom.

12. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

To be fair, I didn't like the price, third law OR rewind when they first dropped for the congregation, I'm sure this album will grow on me, but so far no much.

13. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

Ha, I commented to my friend the other day that the last single sounded like Biffy Clyro a bit, probably because of the low gain guitars.

I'm enjoying the new songs, for the same reason you mentioned - I don't think I would be down for listening to another full album of almost computerized staccato riffs, and I'm happy the guitars are getting back to being more melodic.

At the same time, I really do hope that the album will be a lot proggier than the singles, and I'm sure it a good portion of it will. Their singles have never been measuring sticks for what the albums end up sounding like.

14. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

The album is quite proggy. I like it overall, not as strong as the Congregation on average (imo). The highlights are just as good, if not better (Weight of the Disaster daaaaayum) but the lows are pretty low. The last song just outright sucks in my opinion, and it's loooooong

15. JouniK86

JouniK86 SS.org Regular

This album, as well as the ensuing EU tour's Finnish dates, are probably the most anticipated things for me this year in music. That's why it's a bit of a letdown to say that so far not liking the two new songs (haven't heard the album edit of "Stuck" yet). Like DLG said, the singles haven't been much of measuring sticks, especially if they have decided to keep on going with the album-oriented and atmospheric approach (instead the song-oriented "Coal)" that started on their last album where all songs start fusing together. Einar is still sounding f*cking amazing, as expected - one of the greatest vocalists at prog rock these days!