Left handed player stuck, no chance to try: Schecter Banshee Elite-6 or Ibanez RG 652 AHM?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Theriak25, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Theriak25

Theriak25 SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new guitar and since I am a lefty player from small country, I have zero choice to try the guitars I am interested in, so any help or opinion ill be appreciated.

Currently I have old version of left hand Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85, mahagony body), and Schecter Omen Extreme 7-string (EMG 707x, also mahagony). Those guitars are for heavy music, they deliver that well and I like them.

But more I play and more I am getting older, I feel the need for some more universal instrument, something which is fine also for cleans, crunch rock and ofc metal sounds, but more balanced than my Schecters, which do only one thing well.

I have narrowed a choice to a two guitars. They have one thing in common which I would like to have on my next guitar: more comfortable necks (flatter and thinner than my Hellraiser, which is fat baseball bat), they should be brigther sounding to complete with my both mahagony guitars, and they should be generally in similiar style (big jumbo frets, no tremolo, but visually more neutral than Hellraiser with gothic crosses, etc.)

Schecter Banshee elite-6 and Ibanez Prestige 652 AHM.

Schecter has Swamp Ash body with maple cap, 5-piece maple/walnut neck and ebony fingerboard. Pickups are Schecter USA Supercharger Mach6. South Korea made. Unofortunately, there is not too much on the internet about that guitar, besides some not so good qulity demos only a few forum post about people who were surprised how good it is. It almost looks like some forgotten thing between all the guitars there.

Ibanez has Ash body, bolt-on Super Wizard HP 5-piece maple/walnut neck, birdseye maple fingerboard. Pickups are DiMarzio ToneZone and DiMarzion AirNorton. Japan made. Some basic reviews are here, sounds nice to me, but I have never played Ibanez before.

I struggle with the choice. Maybe the pickups are better on Ibby, but there is no problem to swap Super Chargers on Schecter if neccessary. Ibanez is made in Japan, but South Korean Schecter guitars are quality instruments. Schecter will have good reach for frets near body with its neck-thru construction. No idea if this bolt-on Ibanez is comparable.

The most important thing – the tone? I have no clue. Demos of Banshee are more or less bad and you cant tell a thing about it. Ibby does not sound bad, however the demos are definitely not exhaustive.

I do not know how to make a decision. Will they sound the similiar/almost the same? Can I expect some big difference in anything? Any experience with these particular models or known records where these guitars were used?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the english.

2. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Schecter pickups are USA made. Very good. I have Banshee Elite 8 its great the neck is amazing too

3. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

I don't have those exact guitars but very close versions of both. They are two of my favorite guitars at any price. My thoughts: the neck on that Schecter is my favorite neck of any for metal/shred. It is the perfect combination of slimmer at the nut (41.3/42 depending if trem), compound radius, and the thickness is absolute sweet spot not super thin flat like Ibby and yet C shape but thinner than Charvels, Suhrs, ESP, any of the C shape shredders. It just plays so easy. The tone is thicker than the Ibanez. The Ibanez has the flat super thin neck but wide 43 nut width. It is great as well but definitely different. Tone will be great for leads. Resale better on the Ibby. I would make the call on the neck. Wide super thin or narrow thin C shape. Can't go wrong either way

4. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Those are both great guitars. Personally, I'd go with the Schecter but that's because I have a thing for ebony fingerboards and stainless steel frets.

5. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

652's are very good from the ones I've played, and I currently own one and it's great. Really a matter of taste really, newer schecters are pretty damn good too.

6. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I’m a lefty as well and have had a 652 and the sls elite.
    Your dealing with like it was stated above two very different necks. If you like wide and flat the 652 is amazing. But the schecter feels small in comparison. It too is insanely comfy.
    Personally I love the 652 but I’ve grown up with Ibanez.

7. BTS

BTS BTS

The ibanez (while agreeing the shecter is nice). I got a similar model and it is effortless to play (i also have a kxk 6 string and can switch back and forth easily), isnt thin sounding (which if it was could be sorted by pickup swap) and will hold its value better.

8. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Not necessary. Badass pickups, really. The trend might suggest otherwise, but they are really nice.

9. MoJoToJo

MoJoToJo SS.org Regular

^^^^I agree with the above I have similar guitars except my Banshee Elite an F/R with Sustainiac, the other bonus with the Schecter Stainless frets. But I also love Ibanez.

10. gunch

gunch chungus

both are really solid and well thought out designs I would give the edge to the banshee

11. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I've played a Banshee elite 8 and the thing damn near played itself. Newer Schecters are much different to the older "Metal" Schecters. But you can't go wrong with Ibanez prestige.

Both guitars will play well, the only thing in this is quality. Schecter are generally good, but it's rare to get a bad Prestige.

Pick an online store with a solid returns policy. I'd pick what you like the look of best and if you don't like it return it.

12. Theriak25

Theriak25 SS.org Regular

Thanks for all of your insights and opinions guys.

I will head to guitarstore and check the right handed versions of these guitars - banshee is here and some similar Ibanez will be probably as well, so I will check the neck, at least to get the feel of it, despite i cant play it.

And one more thing - how is the access to frets near body on that Ibanez? Neck pocket seems reasonable according to the pictures, but who knows. That is quite important to me.

Also there is a small concern about the maple fretboard, never had one - is it finished or just natural? I would like it to last, not getting permanently dirty or worn in a few years. Is that a nonsense fear?

Once again, thanks a lot!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  13. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Frets access high up the fretboard is very good on the 652.

14. MoJoToJo

MoJoToJo SS.org Regular

One thing with my Banshee Elite F/R that I did not mention but setup from factory was terrible not sure how it passed QC as the strings were sitting on the first fret, had to shim locking nut. Not the end of the world but something to keep in mind if buying online. If I lived in US I would have sent back but being in Oz not worth the hassle & local distro did not have another in stock. Just luck of the draw still a very nice guitar.