Latency Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by fob, Dec 2, 2017.

1. fob

fob SS.org Regular

So while I love recording with a direct signal and using amp sims, the actual recording has latency that is throwing off some tighter parts of the song.

I want to record with the POD and go dry out to the Scarlett 2i2 to re amp, but use the direct sound of the POD when I record for the lack of latency.

The problem is if I use the direct monitoring, and I make a signal that’s split clean and dirty in the POD, I’ll hear the RAW while tracking and that’ll throw me off. If I do the same and simply monitor the POD through the DAW, I still get a tad of latency. How can I record the RAW in logic while only hearing the direct wet tone of the POD?

I have Yamaha HS8 monitors through my 2i2, running Logic Pro X. Guitar>POD HD X>mono out L to input 1 on Scarlett; and Scarlett input 2 having the DRY out line from the POD for re amping.

I have a D.I. box as well. I do have a Firewire interface that uses SP/DIF for recording which I would prefer, but I don’t know how to connect the Firewire interface to my POD.

2. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

in the scarlett mix controller you should be able mute the second input. the mute button just turns off direkt monitoring, so it will still record the incoming signal.

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

You haven't mentioned settings. Have you adjusted the buffer setting? You basically want the project as non-CPU intensive as possible (for example one amp sim at a time) - this will allow you to set your buffer setting on the interface as low as you can for your computer. That's what affects the latency. You want to aim for below 10ms.
    And yes as above, you should look to have input monitoring muted.

IGC likes this.
  4. fob

fob SS.org Regular

Thanks for your replies.

Here's the screen. I want to actually mute input 2 when monitoring is on, but arm input 2 to record on Logic while hearing myself through direct monitoring with a Pod tone through input 1. Unfortunately, the boxes that look like they should be checked for "mute" or "thru" do nothing when I click them in various ways. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 1.24.07 PM.png

5. fob

fob SS.org Regular

Update...

I ended up getting the Firepod to work and I am using it to record the POD as well as using SPDIF to record the raw, so it actually works out better. Plus I solved my latency issue. I can now record the raw while hearing the POD.

The new problem is that the signal is coming out pretty hot into logic... it says it's clipping. Pretty easily. In the POD settings I can turn UP the digital output signal, but I can't turn it down. I don't know of a way to adjust the output signal of the SPDIF. Should I use a D.I. box?

6. fob

fob SS.org Regular

Anyone? My SP/DIF from the POD to the FIREPOD interface is clipping in Logic. It is -6 to 0 db for recording. I have no way to adjust it. Is this normal/okay and I shouldn’t worry about it? It seems to sound fine but Logic is clearly saying it’s clipping.

7. fob

fob SS.org Regular

Just to update any future humans out there... I lowered it by pressing the pad button. The tone cleared up and stopped clipping. Need new excuses why I suck now. :)

Descent likes this.