Last.fm

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by courtney2018, Jan 24, 2008.

1. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

I was just getting my daily dose of DVICE and I ran across a post about Last.fm, which can be found here. I've never heard of Last.fm, so I was wondering if anyone here has heard of them.

Apparently you can load up your music and it gets streamed to listeners. When it does you get a royalty for that. Also, if you have an album to sell you can do so thru this site, and you get a royalty for that as well. There are other sites that do this as well.

Anyways, just wondered if anybody has ever heard of this place. It's new to me. I'm considering putting my stuff up. I currently only have it at myspace, but nothing is currently for sale.

Any thoughts? Is there a better place? I have a few more bookmarked, so if you know of other places like this list them in your post.

2. Oneiros

Oneiros SS.org Regular

yea man, I am oneiros777 :) its great site great new music to listen to by similarities :)

3. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

Yeah, last.fm is great! I've had a link to mine in my sig for some time now. :yesway: I didn't know about the whole "uploading your own music" thing, though.

4. Oneiros

Oneiros SS.org Regular

you can upload, I had it uploaded with my ex band,

5. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

I was just trying it out. Typed in "Steve Vai" and see what else they played after the first Vai song. Lots of good bands, but everyone is a major act. I was hoping that hear some unsigned, independent talent.

How does that work? If say someone from here uploads their music on their with hopes that someone is going to listen to it, how do people know the music exists if it's not linked to other big acts?

Oneiros, I tried to search for you on there, but it came up with nothing. Maybe I'm not looking in the right area?

6. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Last.FM - FAQ

7. ukfswmart

ukfswmart Far too opinionated

I've been using the service since the days of Audioscrobbler, although I rarely use the radio and artist recommendation facilities as I just want to log my track play history for now

8. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

last.fm is good, but what you get is based on what other people are listening to -- No real comparison. Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music is another good site that provides music with similar "musical DNA". I tend to use Pandora more, but last.fm has a better player, community, and will accept your band's music.

There's also http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/general-music-discussion/42690-amie-street-music.html. If you're looking to get "air time" of your music, you can also sell your tracks there.

Ray

P.S. I'm ElRay on Last.fm too.

9. Luan

Luan SS.org Regular

I won a cd over there.

10. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Yea I've been using LAST.Fm for several years now. Sometimes it's just fun to see charts and things of the music I listen to, etc. I don't use it for recommendations, I just like stats of my stuff and what my friends listen to.

I didn't know you could upload music and get royalties and stuff, that's good to know.

11. Zoltta

Zoltta Guns N Guitars Contributor

I think the question is, who HASNT heard of Last.fm? Great site and great way to keep track of music. :D

12. Michael

Michael Forum MVP

13. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

The other places that I've got book marked for uploading your own music and selling are PureVolume, GarageBand, and of course the popular SoundClick.

It would be nice if you could single out the unsigned and indie music from the mainstream. Maybe you can and I just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

14. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

15. chaztrip

chaztrip Seeking not Found Contributor

16. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

aye been using it for some years, back then it was just called audioscrobbler. the problem is that you need to have your music tagged properly, and unless your a maniac audiphile perfectionist like me :lol: it might require a heavy one-time job with your music collection and a tag program. as i started out maybe 10% of my music was tagged so i probably lost some 30-50k songs or something there, but nowadays even the stuff you dl is tagged everywhere, so its less of an effort today.

as for pro's its easy to use, you get a plugin for winamp or foobar2k or whatever you use and set it to auto login and then you dont notice anything and you can check different stats on the page. its cool that you can find all kinds of groups for tagged genres and find new music. like if you find a dude with good compatibility and say.. you both listen to alot of alice in chains and soundgarden and you see that this guy also listens alot to this band stone temple pilots.. well you get the idea.

its interresting as well to me to see what i really listen to at home. i spend most of my day at work listening to music on a portable player, but there are addons to transfer stuff from portable players to last.fm as well. get an account and try it out, if you find out that you dont care after a few months then just uninstall it =)

17. ukfswmart

ukfswmart Far too opinionated

Use the search, foo'! :wavey:

Like Oompa, I've been using this since the days of audioscrobbler; there have been some odd bugs along the way, but by and large it works great. I always used the iTunes plugin until they released the standalone app that automatically scrobbles your iTunes plays; that seems to work fine too. And tagging your music isn't an issue if you've bought it all :squint:

Now that the iPhone SDK's been released, I cannot wait for a Last.fm iPhone app that will run on a device that isn't Jailbroken. iPod play counts are scrobbled when you sync, but since the music on the iPhone has to be managed manually, the Last.fm app won't pick up on it, which sucks. But! Hopefully an iPhone version will be out not too long after June :shred:

18. Michael

Michael Forum MVP

19. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

If you like last.fm, check-out Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

Similar idea, but the catalog music based on what the call it's DNA (hence the original title of "The Music Genome Project". So, when it's picking songs, it picks ones that have a similar DNA to the ones you used to create the station.

Last.FM just matches what you listen to with what other folks listen to. So, if the only entries for "My Favorite Technical Metal Bad" are made by a guy who really, really likes Broadway Show Tunes, that's what you'll get as a recomendations based on what you listen to.

Ray

20. chaztrip

chaztrip Seeking not Found Contributor

Dude I did..... I looked for Last.fm, LastFM, Last and FM and nothing came up:ugh::ugh:

Maybe it was down.... any way thanks much for the info... site looks cool.