Landscape/Garden Projects Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by lewis, Aug 4, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Rattan Hot tub furniture came in and took 3 days to build haha. Was crazy but Im glad its done.

Hottub is coming in end of June and before then I need to wire in an outdoor socket to power it etc.

Im eyeing up some matching Rattan garden seating too. (like a corner shaped sofa type thing) and of course I want one of those fire pit/bowl things.
    And of course, loads of Ikea stuff haha

32372977_10214233719070784_1762273271081861120_n.jpg 32312920_10214233718430768_3225686697480028160_n.jpg

Anquished likes this.
  2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Looks great :) That'll probably make the inflatable hot tub seem more like a proper one.
    I'm just gonna have mine as is. The previous owner of our house left it since they moved to an apartment and just didn't need it anymore, and since the water heater on it is a bit broken, they wouldn't have gotten much for it if they sold it. But it's definitely still usable, I just don't plan on investing any money into it. I think the thermostat's just broken, as the heating turns itself off automatically and you have to turn it on manually every once in a while. So it's either that, or heat the water somewhere else. And I have a spare wood heater in the garage, so I think I'll put that next to the tub, boil some water in that and then mix that with cold water from the tap. Saves electricity too :)
    The only thing I'm gonna do with it, is to lay a few tiles on the grass so it isn't directly on the ground. Got some Ikea wood tiles from my sister that'll do the job nicely, and my wife's going to Ikea the day after tomorrow to buy another packet of those, since one isn't quite enough. Then I'll just put some trash bags or other insulating things under those and the tub on top of that.

And blah, I still didn't take any pictures... Gotta try to take some now when the weather's nice, it'll probably rain the rest of the summer anyway :lol:

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

thats a great idea regards to heating the water :)
    ive seen tubs that are like wood fire heated and there is a chimney built into the tub.
    So its kinda like a hybrid version of that haha.
    Nice.

yeah its better to have proper flooring underneath.
    Ikea is honestly my favourite thing haha.

4. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, Ikea rules :lol: They sell basically the same products as other furniture companies for a lot less and they're usually surprisingly high quality too. Unless you assemble them wrong. People seem to complain a lot about assembling Ikea furniture, but to me it's basically like building Lego's, definitely not difficult at all as long as you follow the manual. Otherwise you're screwed, of course :lol:

And yeah, here in Finland "palju"'s are fairly popular. A palju is a wooden hot tub that usually has a wood heater integrated and therefore a chimney at the side of it. They're also usually shaped more like a big bucket rather than low and wide like typical hot tubs - they're intended to be used in winter also, so the idea is that you can sit there with only your head above the water, so you don't get cold even when it's -20C or something.

lewis likes this.
  5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

My wife took a pretty nice pic of the hammock area. Looking pretty idyllic, I'd say :)
    [​IMG]

pondman likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

picture isnt working sadly :(

7. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Check it now, I had somehow managed not to enabled link sharing on the file in google drive :)

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ah that looks great!.
    Like you say, really scenic!!

9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Not really a garden/landscape thing, but anyway: I'm looking for a thing that holds a door or window open, kinda like a strut but without the hydraulics and that can be locked into a certain position. I can find those in Finnish hardware stores by the name "door brake (ovijarru)", but I wanna order cheap ones from eBay, so I need to know what they're called in English :lol:
    I've found plenty of struts intended for kitchen cabinets and such for pretty much nothing, but they don't really suit my needs, as I need something that would be able to hold my main door open without it banging against the wall. So if anyone can help me with that translation, I'd be really grateful!

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

do you mean something like what I have installed on my rear doors/wall? -

33149427_10214299487754960_162745063988789248_n.jpg

If so, these are called
    "Cabin Hooks"
    and mine came from ebay.

11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Not quite what I had in mind, but that'd do the trick too. I ordered a cabinet door strut from eBay yesterday, just one to see if it's any good. They looked basically like what I was looking for, except I don't want it to spring open, I also don't know if those stay open / are lockable...
    I have one on my kitchen window, it basically looks like the hydraulic things that hold the boot of a car open, except it has a little screw that can be tightened to lock it in position.

Finally got around to taking some pics :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So as you can see, it's basically one big gardening project :lol: And the stump of the tree I took down is still there, looking ugly in the middle of the back yard. I guess you can also tell that I don't have a lawnmower yet. Looks like yesterday evening wasn't the best time to take photos, looks pretty grey and dark even though the sun had been shining basically all day...

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    lewis likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

hope it helped in someway.

thats a great area there. Plenty big enough for the seating.
    Im really limited with my garden given its kind of in a small housing estate and we have always wanted a hottub so that took priority over seating haha.

Im going to try and find a smallish outside rattan sofa to cover seating.

That tree behind the hottub in picture 1 looks really nice. Scenic.

13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, apple trees look really nice when they're blooming :) Unfortunately they don't bloom that long, as you can see on the separate picture of the patio some of the flowers have already fallen. Soon it'll just be all green.

And yeah, the patio is basically big enough for all that stuff, but once we've had our housewarming party (in about three weeks) I'll put the smaller table and the least comfortable chairs in the garage to get some more space. I've really come to like minimalism lately, it's really nice inside the house as well now that we don't have a lot of clutter everywhere. We've probably got like 5x more stuff than we actually need, but most of it is in storage in the basement and the actually living areas have just what we need out :)

lewis likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

today is a bank holiday and has been beautiful weather in the UK.
    Therefore, cracked on outside.

This is going to be a kids play area with soft mat flooring. I just need more sand

33676269_10214334059699237_8229084213022818304_n.jpg 33720386_10214334351466531_3097604862838308864_n.jpg

p0ke likes this.
  15. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Hmm, looks like my post disappeared... Anyway, I was just saying that my next project is to get some planting frames/boxes and plant herbs that keep mosquitoes away in them. Apparently mint, basil, rosemary etc. should do it, and since those are all stuff that I'd use in food (and mojitos :lol:) that'll be extra convenient.
    Planting boxes are surprisingly expensive though, but luckily my wife found some used ones for 5€/each. Apart from those, I'm gonna build a bigger one myself - I was thinking about something like this:

[​IMG]

16. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Not a homeowner as of now. Just renting, so no major projects. We have made a solid effort to get the lawn looking healthy, and reworked the front yard flower and tree beds. Despite the back yard not taking to the weed treatment I’ve done twice, the front yard looks exponentially better than it did when we first moved in. It looked like a patch of weeds and dirt, and now, aside from one problem area that’s about 3’x3’, the lawn is actually very green and full. Probably won’t have any major projects to do until we own our own house.

17. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, it takes surprisingly little to make a lawn look nice. Over here, the summer has been super dry so far, so I've only had to mow the lawn once. Which is good, because I don't have an actual mower yet :lol: I have a trimmer that's intended for cutting longer weeds and stuff like that, and I've used that mow the whole lawn (in several small pieces) while waiting for my actual mower. I should be getting one in a few weeks though.

Oh and the strut I talked about a few posts back arrived yesterday. It seems otherwise like what I wanted, except it doesn't have a locking mechanism, so I don't know if I'll be able to use it for what I wanted. It's basically open all the time and the gas spring thing is really heavy, so if I put that on the door the kids won't be able to close it :lol: It's also a bit short, since it's intended for vertically opening kitchen cabinets, so we'll see...