Landscape/Garden Projects Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by lewis, Aug 4, 2017.

1. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Progress! I'm getting there but I'm out of gravel again. I've consistently under-estimated the amount of materials I need on this project. So I'm hoping I have enough stone. So I'm on hold again until I get more gravel. The gravel is cheap, but delivery is not. I had gotten another ton on Sunday and rented a UHaul pickup to do it with, but with all of the effort and time and such I only saved $20 compared to having it delivered. In retrospect I would have gladly paid and extra $20 to have it delivered. Such is life.
    IMG_20170902_133042679.jpg
    IMG_20170902_140519111.jpg
    IMG_20170903_175043882.jpg

lewis likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I did the same thing with my sand/Sharp sand/ballast.

Constantly underestimated it haha. Thought 1 tonne would be enough first. Then ordered 2 tonnes after that.

This is going to look great.

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

lack of progress completely down to the rain :( its been terrible here now for quite some time.
    so close but yet so far.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

FINALLY!

The UK has nice weather again after literally nearly 6 months straight of rain/snow/rain. Been a nightmare and we are now only seeing "Spring".

Either way, todays the hottest day of the year and to make sure I capitalised I ordered some materials to get my garden further along.
    Patio border time!

todays progress -

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

in my order was a tonne bag of Gravel for around the edges (building up the height and helping to nip the border tighter all the way around)

and some patio grout you just sweep in the joins.
    So next week if our weather continues, I will get the gravel down and the grout done and this area is done finally.
    (aside from pots/plants/accessories)

as mentioned earlier, all these slabs were in my garden already when I moved in. But jumbled around the place. There were a few different sizes and bevelled/non bevelled ones so considering I spent nothing on the pavers, them going slightly out in places is not that big of a deal once the grout goes down and with the border to help.

Not bad for free slabs and more than good enough of a job for me and my family.
    Screw paying a landscape company to come in and do it. I dont have that sort of money.
    Anyway Im proud of how this is coming together. Especially for my first ever garden undertaking.

5. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Hilarious, my project from last summer is basically going to be done tonight. I had to buy one more bag of small stones. I'll try to take some pics tonight.

lewis likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

haha we are like the slowest gardeners ever hahaha

mind you, my excuse has been the weather tbf. The UK has been an utter joke

7. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

My excuse is just laziness..... But it's finished so I beat you! IMG_20180428_100811142.jpg

lewis likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oooh nice!!

Fire pit marshmellow toasting for the win?
    I presume you are planning some cool seating for around that?

9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

My yard's not that fancy looking, but it's pretty big (about 1000^m3, around 11 square foot), so there's plenty that could be done there... I've been focusing on getting rid of all the leaves from last year, oh and I did get rid of one tree as well. It was a juniper, which should be great for smoking foods, so I kept the biggest branches and the main tree to make some sort of pellets/slices of :) Took one whole trailerload of leaves and branches to the garbage dump, that's how much shit I had there :lol:

Not exactly the best possible pic, it's taken through a dirty window, but you get the point. You also can't see the patio properly, as I didn't want my mom's ugly trailer in the picture. But anyways, if you'd pan left, you would see a bunch of more patio furniture and my BBQ there, and the patio ends against the garage wall. The pic's also taken before I got rid of the leaves and branches, so it already looks a bit better now.

[​IMG]

The next projects are to wash and oil the patio and the furniture, dig up a little bit of ground and make a path of concrete blocks leading to the patio, so you don't have to step on the grass at all when going to the patio (it gets pretty damned muddy), and then make a little extension to the patio for our inflatable jacuzzi. The previous owner used to keep that on the patio, but I don't want to as it takes up nearly half of it, which I need for all the furniture (we have 8 chairs, 3 benches and 2 tables that we've collected throughout the years :lol: )

Oh and another project is to make a new floor for the play area that's in the tree at the back of the yard. It's pretty well built otherwise, but the flooring is so rotten, the kids have stepped right through it at a few points. So my grandpa had like hundreds of these aluminum covered garage doors that I figured I'd use for that. Should make for a pretty durable floor, once I get to it :) Then there's also the trampoline that I'd need to assemble, the frame is there but the springs and rug of whatever that you jump on are in the garage, also waiting to be oiled and assembled... And yes, my yard is basically every kids dream :lol:

I'll post some better pics of the aforementioned things once I get to it... Plus everything will be looking nicer in a while, once the leaves and all that grow back. It's been looking basically like the cover of Blackwater Park for the last 6 months :lol:

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    lewis likes this.
  10. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

I think I'm going to buy some plans and make some Adirondack chairs. That's probably about it.

Unfortunately it's been really really dry on the Front Range in Colorado, so no fires in the pit till we get some moisture. Trying to be a thoughtful neighbor.

lewis likes this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh nice. Home made furniture is sweet.

And yeah, forgive my complete ignorance on that. Causing field fires etc is simply never a thing you have to worry about in the UK with the average garden, so I completely overlooked that.

Brownie points for being a thoughtful neighbor for sure haha.

12. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

Yea unfortunately the year I finish my fire pit is a high fire danger year. Such is life.

lewis likes this.
  13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Hmm, didn't think of that either, no fire danger here either, usually. I've just got a movable fireplace-thing in the garden, basically looks like a bbq but with a higher fence kind of thing around it. Great for summer nights in the garden and you don't have to worry about burning logs falling out :)

lewis likes this.
  14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

On a side note, I beat the crap out of what was left of the juniper (you can see it in the middle of the pic above) using an iron bar, and now there's just a few twigs left... Will have to continue a bit though, as I want to completely flatten that part. It's goddamned stiff stuff, it just wouldn't break even though I had pierced it completely with the bar, I just had to keep beating and ripping of small parts of it :D I also tried to saw it, but the saw just kept getting stuck because of all the resin coming out :lol:

15. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

I've gotten rid of like 6 juniper bushes in my yard. I despise them. They are horrid things. A Sawzall (demolition saw) took care of them quick, then I used a High LIft Jack (farm jack) to rip them out of the ground. Cutting them and and pulling the stumps was the easy part. I had to rent a trailer and make like 3 trips to the dump to get rid of them all.

16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Whew, I'm relieved I only had one :lol: Well, there are two more, but they're out of the way, so I don't mind. I don't have proper power tools for this, so I just used a woodsplitting axe to basically peel the tree (if I hit it straight, the axe just bounced back even though it's really really sharp) until it was thin enough to push over using the iron bar. In the end it looked pretty much as if a beaver had been eating the tree :lol:
    I gave it a few more whacks yesterday and now there isn't much of the tree above the ground left, but I don't know what to do with the roots / the rest of the stump since I don't have proper tools to pull it out. I guess all I can do is just keep giving it the axe until there's so little of it left that I can cover it in the ground...

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I would defo be saving that wood too myself. Smoky food is awesome. That huge garden does look awesome though I have to say!.

This is where Im at with mine and I just had another tonne of Gravel turn up today too to complete that path way -

31277639_10214093575207275_8980701907911459495_n.jpg 31189888_10214093574847266_5543843542747242842_n.jpg 31870693_10214170469249578_47523920504422400_n.jpg 31946363_10214170469689589_1533132213174927360_n.jpg 31914299_10214171678879818_3501298395291582464_n.jpg 31880774_10214172297815291_5223746526286708736_n.jpg

Got to screw everything together so its all held together nice and square/straight, and then I can fill it with gravel!

I have also ordered some Poly Rattan Hottub furniture for my patio -

[​IMG]

18. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

That furniture looks neat!

I started oiling the patio yesterday... Lidl (German grocery store chain) had a batch of really cheap but nice oil for sale, so I bought a 3L can of it. Figured that would be enough for the patio. I had previously bought a different oil, but after talking with a friend who's more experienced with these things I realized that was no good, and then I also had some leftovers that my mom gave me... My wife decided that the leftovers are too old and since the other one was no good, she oiled all of our furniture with the Lidl-oil... And you can guess what happened yesterday when I was oiling the patio... So yeah, after that oil ran out, I continued with the leftovers. That was slightly more red, but after drying I don't see the difference. Then that ran out as well :lol: Then I grabbed the shitty oil and tried it, and it looked like putting muddy water on the patio compared to the other oils. So I quit there, half way through the patio, and this morning I drove to the local Lidl to see if they still had oil in stock. They didn't :( Then I went home to have a look at the patio, and realized that the shitty oil didn't look that different after drying, after all, so now I'm gonna oil the rest with that. Will probably have to do it twice with that because it's a lot thinner, but still, it'll be better than nothing. And next summer I'll buy 2x3L straight away :lol:
    My friend whom I consulted about the oils specifically said that oils that come in plastic packages are no good, and now I can definitely say that's true (the other two were in tin cans).

lewis likes this.
  19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

haha man I love Lidl for food.
    Never really thought to try their Garden/DIY stuff.

But extra points for showing patience and trying haha.

Thanks man btw. It was quite pricey and the Hottub we are getting for now is one of those cool square inflatable ones. Its not in until end of June but I thought I would get the surround for it first because 1) it can get built and allow me to work layout out on my patio for when we do get the Hottub in and 2) because we kept talking about getting one and it never happened until now so I thought if we had the surround for one, it would MAKE us have to buy one as it would look stupid having Hottub furniture with no Hottub haha.

Also I done some long term planning because this surround is specifically made for the inflatable hottub Im getting BUT its internal measurements also fit a proper 4 seater plastic hottub I found so when I upgrade the tub, the furniture will still work (plus its poly so wont rot away like wood)

20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

got my patio area and gravel border/path finished finally. Been about a year in total but half that time was weather so bad nothing could get done.

Very pleased -

Before
    17884343_10210958131783149_4576427541108031498_n.jpg 20729464_10212093587768839_3053993960904461384_n.jpg 20729201_10212093897016570_6112106571268688151_n.jpg

after

32207833_10214219342591381_7859198412560793600_n.jpg 32323518_10214219342871388_1589286943475105792_n.jpg