KxK Sii-8 8 Scale photo thread

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Hauschild, Mar 11, 2012.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire I have chronic GAS

Oh so you're the one hoarding the rest of the kxk 8 strings :p

Hollowway likes this.
  2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Haha, kind of! There’s the matte blackburst 8 string and that Burl 8 we’re talking about that are still FS. But I’m resisting the temptation. 6 years ago I’d have tripped over myself trying to buy them, but these days they’re not as rare. So I’m using my will power and adult life skills to stop myself from pulling the trigger. :lol:

3. mphsc

mphsc lover of fine woods

It was a beast, friend talked me out of it then ended up getting EVO frets installed, then he had a family emergency and had to sell. I have no idea why these guitars are not more popular, best guitars I've ever played. First pic is the Redwood Burl, next is a totally different beast.

SIC-18.jpg KxK-8scale-Semi-Hollow-4.jpg

MickD7 and glassmoon0fo like this.
  4. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

My redwood 8 scale was the best I've ever owned, and that includes Strandberg #49 (which was incredible, so...).

I'm such a douche for selling it =\

5. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I feel the 'issue' with KxKs is that they're quirky.

My 6DC is FANTASTIC: plays super-well, sounds HUGE, it's extremely lightweight. Overall, I love that guitar. It's inspiring to play and sounds exactly like I want a double-cut set neck to sound like, except even better.
    But: there is that weird coat/natural neck join which is unique to KxK, there was that terrible nut (just a graphtech nut stuck on the neck with no further whittling and setup there; could have been done post-build though), in some instances the clear coat has bubbled/separated from the wood a little, and the bridge is SUPER high vs. neck being angled.
    None of these (well, except the nut) impact playability at all.
    And for each of these quirks there's an awesome trait to the guitar: a stunning ebony fingerboard, frets installed without fret-end slots, a thin but super comfy neck (coming from a guy who doesn't like overly thin necks!), and that super cool headstock.

So yeah, if you want a GREAT metal guitar with HUGE character, KxK's where it's at. If you want a 100% perfect paragon of build precision, they are not it due to some quirks.
    Thankfully to me, that didn't take anything away from them!

Looking forward to seeing more of that run's pictures in here whenever they come-up :)

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire I have chronic GAS

what's the guitar next to the kxk? is that a strandberg?

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Definitely not.

8. pott

pott SS.org Regular

9. mphsc

^ exactly, a FF9 I had. Played surprisingly fantastic and I loved the asymmetrical neck profile.

10. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Saw one of those FF9s at a gig in Seattle (at the Highline). They look very good live, balanced on a player.
    Looked exactly like that one actually!

11. mphsc

Most likely was. Super nice guy bought it from me about a year ago.

pott likes this.
  12. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

As was covered before your nut was likely replaced by the previous owner and your guitar is literally the only one ever built with that bridge as the lack of neck angle was a CNC programming error. Instead of throwing the guitar away that bridge was built and it was sold as an in stock with clear note made of the unusual bridge.

I've owned let's see 6 or 7 KxKs now and the only delamination of finish I have had on any of them was where I banged the guitar into a table edge. Given you are I believe the fourth owner of that guitar perhaps use / abuse explains that as well. My main guitars are Suhr, PRS, and KxK and the build quality is comparable across the board.

The neck finish transition pretty much is what it is, not sure how else you would transition from clear on the body to oil on the neck :shrug:

glassmoon0fo and pott like this.
  13. pott

pott SS.org Regular

That's super fair. I only had my KxK and played another one which was super-heavy but sounded REALLY good. The owner likes the string extremely low so it buzzed all-over, but that was expected given the string height.
    Both sound about as good as I've ever heard an electric guitar sound. It doesn't get any better.

I was SUPER tempted by that Limba 7 string he had in-stock for a while... Did you end up getting it Technomancer?

14. technomancer

Yep that came home with me, couldn't resist. Thing sounds absolutely MASSIVE. I keep eyeing that 7DC burl on reverb too, only reason I haven't grabbed it is the stock profile is probably a tad thinner than I like.

15. mphsc

I owned that 7DC burl for a bit when it had the covered P90's and it was great. Just not what I was looking for. My current 8scale is an all satin finish and I love it, but I never had a problem with the transition portion where the clear met the tung oiled portion. The Buckeye 8DC was fantastic but I've come to grips with not liking alder as a body wood.

16. technomancer

I remember when you were selling the burl... I have it's sister 7DC with the walnut top and the P90s :D I have actually been eyeing that one since Rob built it :lol:

17. mphsc

Nice! I have you to thank for turning me onto KxK and I wanted your 7DC Semi-Hollow so bad, but I've missed out on it twice. Really liked the idea of the bartolini's you had in it and that rosewood neck. If Rob released another 7DC semi I'd be in big trouble.

18. technomancer

That semi-hollow was absolutely killer... ironically I ended up buying it back then selling it back to the guy I bought it from. I loved it but realized I didn't play it nearly enough as it was a MUCH better clean platform than under gain. In hindsight I wish I had held onto it. IIRC Rob had a hard drive crash at some point and the semihollow design was one of the casualties.

19. mphsc

It was... but I dare post a body shot since Holloway is still waiting, doesn't seem fair. If I ever come across the blue semi with maple board it's on.

20. morgdav

morgdav SS.org Regular

DSC00467-2.jpg

I was never happy with the original pickups so I had Adam at Elysian Pickups build these for me.