KSR Ceres - 3 Channel Preamp Pedal

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by protest, Jan 24, 2019.

1. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Yeah Fortin is in Canada and Metro built at least the last few runs of Meshuggah heads. I would guess they are building the Calis as well since it was announced they would ship from the US, but who knows. Fortin pedals are from another company that is building them, I forget the name.

Boutique Amp Distribution is in Cali and builds Friedman, Synergy, and a bunch of other stuff. Bogner is also in Cal at their own shop.

Stuff is getting so complicated with who is building what for who that I just like that Kyle actually built and runs his own shop and posts cool stuff about his processes :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  2. johnnydeformed

johnnydeformed SS.org Regular

Thanks for the review! I’m even more excited now. By the way, no pics?

:worth:

3. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

Hnnngg do want

4. jjcor

jjcor SS.org Regular

Here ya go!
    [​IMG]

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

So its legit? One thing that worried me is that Fluffs playthrough part sounded kinda fuzzy and pedal like at times. Then again I dont like most of his tones.

Also hows it pair with the grind? Not too thin?

BlueTrident and Korneo like this.
  6. jjcor

jjcor SS.org Regular

Totally legit. It sounds very close to my Colossus. I heard his demo as well and it is very fuzzy but thats always been his tone. It doesn't need the grind at all. I just used it to do some cutting on my 7 string tuned to drop G. But I noticed last night that on my 6 string it was getting a little thin so I killed it and just ran the Colossus mode on tight and it sounded awesome. Im still trying to work with the WOS to figure out what power amp works best with it. Sometimes I think I have the tone I was wanting and then I come back a few hours later and don't like it. But that also could be the rabbit hole we all go down chasing tone.

BlueTrident and mnemonic like this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

Welp, guess I still need to check it out. Been looking at guitars to put on the chopping block.

8. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

This honestly doesnt surprise me one bit. Kyle puts alot of work into making sure his products are the real deal for the players buying them.

There used to be another lesser known amp builder building crazy good amps with a cult following that caught on in a big way. Believe his Name was randall smith.....

9. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, my pedalboard rig is finally complete. As you can see, the pedal chain is 805 > Ceres > NS2 > RV4 > Tube Cake into Panama 112 Cab with a WGS Veteran 30 in it.

First, let me shout out a thank you to Kyle. I was going to move off of my address in FL, and I'd be out of the country for at least a month so I'd miss the Ceres before he graciously moved up my pedal up so that I can receive it earlier. 10/10 for customer service.

Now, as far as the pedal goes, the first impression is great. Plenty of gain on tap, plenty of voicing and options. From saturated, loose to modern and tight, the pedal can do quite a lot. It basically made my 805 obsolete really because there's really no point of boosting the pedal, it just sounds excessive and too harsh. It sounds absolutely monstrous through my cab, with the right amount of saturation and thickness but still stays tight. The best part it just feels just like a tube amp. It has the response and the sensitivity that I commonly experienced with my 5150-III and Mini Rectifier.

Extremely satisfied with my purchase so far.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  10. johnnydeformed

You got yours!! Awesome! That’s fantastic support from Kyle. Thank you for the info on boosting. That was one of my questions and I’m glad to know it doesn’t need it. Any idea how the clean channel handles a fuzz?

I hope my order comes up soon. I can’t wait to try it out!

11. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

The clean channel seems to take the 805 fine, but I don't have a fuzz so I can't answer that.

12. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Here's my very scuffed playthrough of the preamp. Pardon the string noise there. Not the most comprehensive but it should give people some idea of what this little beast is capable of.

Jackson SLATHX3-7 in B with Black Winters 7 pickups > Sd 805 > KSR Ceres > Boss NS2 > Boss RV4 > AMT Tube Cake TC-1 > Panama Guitars 112 with WGS Veteran 30

Only the 805 and the TC1 were used in the signal chain.

13. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I got mine today too and shot a little video earlier. I make some mistakes when talking about channel names, etc. but I don't think it matters that much unless someone hears the pedal and wants to buy an amp based on what I say the modes and corresponding amps are. I was trying it with poweramp emulation on my two notes, but it just seemed to make it noisier and not really be worth it, ended up not using it for this video. Overall pretty rad sounding, modern without being plasticky sounding. I did try running a couple overdrives and an Xotic EP booster in which give it a little different flavor but definitely aren't necessary.

14. johnnydeformed

You guys are awesome for getting clips up so fast. Thanks!!

The Big Muff sounds really good to me. I was hoping I could add a fuzz for even more sound variation so it looks like it’s at least worth a try.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  15. HeHasTheJazzHands

Welp, the Ceres is back on the menu.

16. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I didn’t think I had GAS for this, but apparently I was mistaken.

Awesome clips above, now I want one!

17. bubbastain

bubbastain SS.org Regular

I think I might have to get one of these. I love my AMT R2, but this is pretty awesome and in a couple of ways more flexible.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

wrong thread

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  19. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Try a Maxon OD-808x
    Not as tight as the savage but, much more pleasant and still gets tight enough to do anything. Techdeath, death metal, djent, whatever etc...

It’s hard to explain but it “feels” better than the savage, brutal drive, or horizon nano imo.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire what is shred may never die

funny, i sold my 808x because the savage got tighter and was more aggressive sounding. even the mxr cbmod was more aggressive imo