Klein building guitars again

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by narad, Oct 27, 2018.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Way before Strandberg entered the ergo headless fanned fret space, there was Klein. But despite having some big fans on the more prog/jazz/noise end of the spectrum, overall he was maybe a bit too ahead of his time, and ended production. I really dig these now but they're sometimes going for $8k+ these days (up from the $2-3k he originally charged):

[​IMG]

Now, something like 15 years after ending production, he's back to building. This is his Stele -- ergo body, but the headstock's back. I really dig this headstock, reminds me of a Matsuda, so I'm kind of interested. Price is surprisingly reasonable!

https://kleinsbench.com/stele/
    [​IMG]

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

:barf:
    some designs should stay dead

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    RiksRiks, Djentlyman, Viginez and 4 others like this.
  3. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Didn't you buy a Kiesel?

There's this too:

4. KnightBrolaire

yeah I owned multiple kiesels, not sure what you're trying to imply from that. I have nothing against klein's work, I've just always found that particular body shape revolting, regardless of how much I hear about it being super comfy. different strokes for different folks or whatever
    that's cool that he made an electric harp guitar, I like less common instruments like that.

5. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Just that erm... I guess... one man's trash is another man's boutique guitar. Neither brand is going to win a popularity contest with their original designs.

6. KnightBrolaire

yeah, which is why I said different strokes for different folks. I'm all for ergonomic guitars, but there's a delicate balance between pursuing function and form imo, and klein has always leaned heavily on the function side.

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

It was just a light-hearted jab that is hard to convey in text. I'm not trying to make anything of it.

thesnowdog likes this.
  8. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Love the Klein shape... it just look awesome because it is so ugly. I am one of those, yes. I would love to play one because we all know those guitars are comfy but it's never gonna happen.

Love the headstock of the Tele. Very genuine.

9. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Love the old Klein’s. They always had great tone.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I'm pretty indifferent to Kleins, but that headstock is freaking perfect for that guitar.

Bigfan likes this.
  11. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Good to see Klein is also producing a headless.
    The sTele is disappointing to see, nice headstock but, it has a headstock. Only 3 saddles which is ridiculous. Bad retro designs (Tele, Strat etc.) seem wrong for Klein.

Unfortunately Strandberg has been using the 'ergonomic' word for the Boden style designs but there is very little ergonomic about a Strandberg, it's just a headless superstrat with a design poorly suited to classical sitting position: contact with tuners, cable exiting into your leg. I do not consider Strandbergs 'ergonomic'.

12. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

If this is aimed at the Tele crowd, the three saddle setup is definitely the way to go. That said, I’m not sure the Tele crowd is looking for a Klein version of their favorite guitar.

Couldn’t agree more about the the lack of ergonomics Strandbergs offer though. The tuners don’t bother me that much because it’s not like you’re going to bump them out of tune, but the cable placement is really unforgivable. I love the design aesthetically. I’ve had roughly 10 of them, and exactly one of them sounded any good. I hate the neutral zero fret on the 6s. One I had from the custom shop in Sweden was an objectively shoddy guitar—sloppy construction every. And despite all that, I’m sure I’ll buy another 7 at some point just because I think they look so cool.

Dyingsea and Zhysick like this.
  13. guitaardvark

guitaardvark Drop D because 2005

The headstock seems a little problematic, but hopefully someone can clear this up for me.
    1) Don't you want the strings to go straight on a headstock so as to avoid the string binding in the nut? From what I understand, this is why Gibsons' D and G strings can't stay in tune and PRS, Fender, and Ibanez generally have better tuning stability.
    2) I can't see very well from the pictures, but are the tuning keys facing forward rather than up? Wouldn't that be uncomfortable/annoying?

All that said, I love the idea of tele configs on funky-shaped guitars and the headstock does look great. However, as someone who ditched a 3 barrel bridge with the raised sides, I can see no redeeming quality for them personally.

14. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

The "strat" is just... well, I don't like it and I don't even think it looks good but the Tele is pretty nice but I am with @xzacx thinking that a "traditional Tele player" will not want a Klein guitar so it seems somehow useless but I love how the Tele sound and I love ergonomic guitars so for me it is a win-win. I guess I am not the only one in the whole world so... also, one of the best sounding ever guitars I have ever seen was a Klein with an EMG 89 in the neck, yes, for clean jazz sounds... lots of harmonics and presence. Amazing tone.

15. MaxOfMetal

Yes and no. There's something of a balancing act.

You need enough pressure pushing on the nut to keep the string in place and from vibrating against the nut/floating, but not too much where it creates enough friction to effect tuning.

The tuners' knobs exit "back" towards the back of the guitar. I don't think it really has an effect on ergonomics. Think of it like turning the knobs on an amp head like a JCM800, opposed to knobs that face upwards like an AC30.

16. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I love that strat he's got!

17. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

In my completely irrelevant opinion, I think they look truly horrific.

Masoo2 likes this.
  18. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I've always loved Kleins. It's cool to see him building again.

Also, this is friggin' hot:

[​IMG]

Masoo2, BigViolin, Randy and 4 others like this.
  19. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

On the topic of weird old headlesses that never caught on but should have, someone in Seoul is selling a Kubicki, and it's taking absolutely all of my willpower to convince myself that I don't need it.

StevenC likes this.
  20. MaxOfMetal

You need it.

While I think they were the ugliest of the headless stuff to come from the first wave, they were also probably the best thought out, playing and sounding. Those Factor basses are boss...if you can get past the look.

J-Twin and StevenC like this.