King Crimson Megathread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Decapitated666, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Decapitated666

Decapitated666 Black Metal

So where are my King Crimson fans?! Anyone hear the good news? They're BACK TOGETHER! Let's hear your favorite era King Crimson stuff. Mine is the 70's era.

Necris, TheHandOfStone, gunch and 7 others like this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

So glad to hear they're back together. My favourite album is Discipline because it's what really got me into them, but In The Court of The Crimson King and Larks' Tongues in Aspic are incredible, too.

3. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

4. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

I was just thinkin they needed a thread the other day!!!!! Love King Crimson!!

5. gavn13

gavn13 Well-Known Member

I do love my king crimson even there newer stuff. Happy with what you have to be happy with always gets stuck in my head.

6. Decapitated666

Decapitated666 Black Metal

Yes. All great stuff. I'm really big on the Larks' Tongues in Aspic record as well as Red and In The Court of the Crimson King. What're your favorite songs?

7. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

Favourite band ever! Never ceases to amaze me how many stylistic changes they went through (I know that may have something to do with the rather large rotation of contributing members though). , I hope they do something really special for this one. I wonder who'll be doing vocals though? Belew is chillin' out with Reznor Co. at the minute isn't he? :scratch:

8. Basti

Basti not much space to wr

One of the first songs I learnt was 12st Century Schizoid Man :yesway: classic album

9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Jakko Jakszyk is on vocals, Adrian Belew ended up not touring with NIN as "it didn't work". Belew just posted on facebook about the new KC and not being apart of it, apparently Fripp didn't think he was right for the new band.

If I had to pick a favourite song, it would go to Frame by Frame or 21st Century Schizoid Man.

10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I listened to In the Court of the Crimson King the other day for the first time. 21st Century Schizoid Man was awesome but the rest seemed INCREDIBLY shitty and half-assed. So many incredibly long, repetitive songs with bland vocals and not really anything interesting going on musically. I've also heard most of Discipline which is funny 80s stuff but is too repetitive and slick-sounding for my liking. What else should I be listening to if I like 21st Century Schizoid Man and the sound of the chapman stick but strongly dislike everything else I've heard by them? :p

11. Oneirokritikos

Oneirokritikos SS.org Regular

Three of A Perfect Pair blew me away when I discovered it. But I seem to love the "80’s era" of any band really: KC, Rush, Saga, Yes, Genesis,...

12. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

They really have so much good stuff. Hard to pick a favorite from a band that has almost 50 years of material.

Nightwatch.
    Epitaph.
    Cat Food.
    Red.
    Starless and Bible Black.
    Fallen Angel.
    Also they have tons of versions of their songs. I never liked I Talk to the Wind until I got A Young Person's Guide to King Crimson. The version on there is great.

13. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

you might have to start with something more modern. I think you'll thoroughly enjoy "The Power to Believe"

14. kung_fu

kung_fu Vulcan Lute God

Wow, I did NOT know they got back together. Great news!

15. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

I can't believe it's been a decade since this album came out. New KC would be very welcome in my collection.

16. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

I'm rooting for a new album too, considering they haven't been to europe in ten years, doubt I'll get to see them live in any way.

17. DarksomeOrigin

DarksomeOrigin Active Member

In the Court of the Crimson king was one of the first albums I ever listened to when I was a kid, thanks to my dad always spinning the vinyl and playing along to it on keyboards. As I got older and went out and discovered all of their eras (actually the next two albums after ITCotCK I heard were THRAK and lizard... Needless to say, I was confused if this was the same band :) this was pre-internet so the only way I could find new music by a band was going to the CD store and just buying whatever they had ) I've kinda had different phases with what my favorite eras were. These days I'm really digging the lizard and Islands albums the most, but overall, my favorite albums are Court, Red, and The Power to Believe. Really looking forward to what they do next.

18. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

My first exposure to King Crimson was seeing them open for Tool. I was absolutely blown away by them, and rushed out to pick up a few albums. Unfortunately, none of their recordings I've heard come close to the experience I had seeing them. I kept accumulating KC albums, but I think I like the IDEA of King Crimson more than I like their actual music. I love classic prog, and King Crimson is foundational prog rock, but a lot of it just doesn't really do much for me.

19. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Belew is having a rough year. Dropped from NIN and the Crim... That said, both of those bands are single men at the core (Trent and Fripp). They are ideas more than proper bands.

20. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

As much as I respect "The Court..." and all that music from from the 70's, they really got my attention with "Discipline" and onward. "The Power to Believe" in particular was a damn good album.