Kiesel ZEUS Bolt on headless waaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MrHelloGuitar, Jan 4, 2018.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Which was already being used by wood turning community for forever.

wannabguitarist likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

true, it's just that for whatever reason nobody was making really making stabilized guitar tops that way :shrug:

3. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

California Woods wouldn't be selling them marked as guitar tops if they weren't made for exactly that.

4. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I don’t like the resin top, but I actually think it’s kinda cool how he matched the dark and light colored pickups to the dark and light colored areas of the top.

5. KnightBrolaire

they're one of the few companies that actually does stabilized tops for guitars. Most people doing stabilized pieces are making knife scales or other small pieces like that.

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Man, just watched the video on facebook of Jeff talking about the koa one with the gold covers. It looks really good! I'm actually a little tempted!

7. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Watch the guitar of the week video of it too, it actually gets played and there are some pretty good views of it as well.

https://www.facebook.com/kieselguitars/videos/2021802884769670

MrHelloGuitar and narad like this.
  8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Blame the customers. People have been sending in their own tops from California Woods for about a year. He was even hesitant to use them at first and originally seemed like he didn't like the first one he was sent before he used it. He used it, and it got a lot of positive feedback...just like the following several that customers sent in on their own. It wasn't until the Vanquish run that Kiesel bought a few tops and bundled them with the "Stage 3" package. Not all of them sold in the run, so a few more have popped up since that run, but i believe he's said he has no plans to make them a regular option... but he'll use them of someone wants to send them in and play the HUGE (my word) upcharge.

I feel like customer demand drove this more than any "Alpher Instruments bandwagon."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    wannabguitarist likes this.
  9. spudmunkey

Think about it this way: with the headless guitars having smaller bodies, they seem to get one-piece-tops pretty regularly. Its possible that LESS wood is wasted because they can can get two smaller guitars out of one billet where as a large body, they would book match it and need both halves.

We've actually been shown this in action on one of his "pick your top" videos. Their pale moon ebony tops are $1000 (I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with their pricing, just stating it). In one particular video, he looked at it, went and grabbed a Vader template, and saw they could get two tops out of this one board but only if it was a HH or Vader. Anything else would have needed two pieces, with a lot more waste cut off.

After showing that they could get two tops out of it, he said if two people called in for this piece of wood and only for HH or Vader, they would get it for $600. To someone who might have considered it anyway, that's $400 savings. For kiesel, by selling two tops for $1,200 from a board which would have only brought in $1000 on any other model, they get an additional $200 to help cover the free extra minutes of more- careful bandsaw work to separate two tops without running one, and whatever extra few minutes of attention they need to make sure the right halves were kept track of for the right orders...and in the end, less wood was wasted.

With a model like the Zeus which is both compact AND beveled, we'll probably see a very high qty of one piece tops which don't have to be "centred" so they can be strategic and efficient with smaller pieces that otherwise would have been scrap.

Ah, you are correct. My bad. I thought they were the same guitar. D'oh!

Thanks for the comment, dude!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Hollowway likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

11. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

Sorry Jeffbro, that's a solid nope from me.

12. KnightBrolaire

i kind of like this one.
    [​IMG]

ShadeOGreen likes this.
  13. technomancer

You know I'm thinking one of these in a six string trem with maple neck / alder body / birdseye board with natural back and sides and the top in either Tropic or Grape Jelly might be cool...

14. KnightBrolaire

I always feel weird about seeing solid colored tops on natural bodies, unless it's black. Black goes with everything.

15. technomancer

Well, if this didn't look off balance in a single color I'd go solid without a top... and if I could get a decent top instead of risk crap for a $500 upcharge (vs $1000 for Kiesel special 6A Artisan blah blah) I'd go with Koa.

16. KnightBrolaire

That's actually the one of the really good things with Kiesel from what I've seen, they tend to hook people up with really figured tops. finding really figured koa is hard ime, but kiesel seems to have a good stash of the stuff. Obviously the upcharge isn't ideal but that's part of why I'd rather get walnut or maple stained brown instead of koa.

17. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Seems like it's been a lot more hit or miss in the last few years unless you're willing to pay a hefty (in my opinion, exorbitant) premium.

You used to ALWAYS get a great top and they'd even try to match a similar top from other guitars, for free or with something like a $200 fee depending on workload and customer.

Back when it was Carvin, if you got a crappy top you'd send it back and get a rebuild. It cost Carvin money to do poor tops.

technomancer likes this.
  18. technomancer

Nailed it exactly. Really don't want to drop $500 when odds are better than average of getting a crap top and having to send it back.

I also wouldn't mind a buckeye burl top but again no way in hell I will ever order something that is non-returnable.

19. spudmunkey

I did wish they were more flexible with some options and their return policy. Like... on some requests, sure...make it non-returnable because they are undesirable and they would have a hard time to sell it should they get it back.

Buy sometimes, they make some guitars non-returnable because there are upcharge that they would have a hard time recouping should they get it back and have to sell it as a GIS at a discount.

In those cases, I wish they would just still allow the refund, less those upcharges.

For example, let's say you want a 5-piece neck, which incorporates flamed maple. They charge for the 5 piece its based on, then an upcharge for the full flamed male neck upgrade (because they have to slice up a flamed maple neck blank). Ok, fine...I get that, but then its made non- returnable because this vey expensive guitar will be hard to re-sell since an upgrade like that isn't necessarily worth the same to someone shipping for a GIS. They would have to mark it down a he amount to still it.

But... If they would just let the person return it where their refund would just be reduced by the price of the non-returnable options, they could price it as normal because they wild have already captured this cost.

If they charge a $400 upgrade to a higher grade top, they should still let the person return it, less that $400 fee. Its not like they would have a hard time selling that upgraded guitar at the normal price!

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Or they just keep Option 50s for special circumstances and customers like they used to.

A specific top never used to be a non-refundable option unless it was customer supplied wood.

They need to decide whether they want to be a real, true custom shop or stick with thier semi-custom format. Obviously having it both ways isn't working out well from a customer service standpoint.

Not to mention it seems they've been using the Option 50 excuse to not deal with defective instruments, which were ALWAYS covered under Carvin, Opt.50 or not.

technomancer likes this.