Kemp Guitars UK Build Thread #2 - Progress and Completion

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by KempGuitars, Jul 8, 2017.

1. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Never heard of that! I know guitar folk generally tend to know of woods kther woodworkers don’t and vice verse but even from knife making I’ve not seen that. What’s it behave like properties wide?
    It almost looks like patterned leather. I imagine it’s perfectly smooth but my brain is telling me it’s full of dimples like you’ve been at it with a ball pein hammer!
    I can’t gauge the scale of the pic, is this piece big enough for a body or is it a neck/fretboard idea?

2. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Never heard of that! I know guitar folk generally tend to know of woods kther woodworkers don’t and vice verse but even from knife making I’ve not seen that. What’s it behave like properties wide?
    It almost looks like patterned leather. I imagine it’s perfectly smooth but my brain is telling me it’s full of dimples like you’ve been at it with a ball pein hammer!
    I can’t gauge the scale of the pic, is this piece big enough for a body or is it a neck/fretboard idea?

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire I have chronic GAS

I've got some leopardwood sitting around in my shop. looks awesome when it's carved, almost like reptile scales.

KempGuitars likes this.
  4. KempGuitars

KempGuitars UK Custom Builder

It's crazy looking stuff, isn't it!? My first time working with it but so far has given me no grief - just very minor tearout over the planer but nothing that can't be sanded out - but it is heavy!

Not to be mistaken with Lacewood, although they're related, Leopardwood (Roupala montana) is very dense with a Janka Hardness of 2150 lb/f. This is a thru-neck blank 100mm wide, and it's a bit of a headfuck to look at. Perfectly smooth to the touch, bar the light tear-out.

It's gonna make an eye-catching neck... And there's a Leopard wood drop-top for the body but that'll be revealed once I've got the Pale Moon Ebony fretboard blank slotted :)

Chiba666 likes this.
  5. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Pale Moon Ebony boards always look so nice

KempGuitars likes this.
  6. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Excited to see progress on it! Looking forward to updates

7. KempGuitars

Christmas is on our doorsteps, the presents are all wrapped and the best part of the fridge space has been engulfed by a large headless bird! KEMP GUITARS WOULD LIKE TO WISH YOU ALL A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS. This will be the last update of the year: I leave you with these two custom beauties, in various stages of production. The DC 8-string Half-fan multiscale now ready for finish sanding and the latest custom DC build featuring a lot of Leopardwood and a Pale Moon Ebony fretboard [​IMG] More on that one in the new year. Don't forget also, the Kemp Guitars competition will be closing on 1st January at midday (GMT) - with the winner being announced on the 2nd January. Details on the Facebook page. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

[​IMG]

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  8. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Hope you’ve been having a good Christmas break. Looking forward to updates on those two beauties!

KempGuitars likes this.
  9. KempGuitars

"Break" haha :D I was back in the shop today sanding two guitars ready for primer tomorrow. No rest for the wicked and all that!

Had a couple of days off but I've got a lot to get done over the next couple of weeks... Including the those two custom DCs :)

Hope you had a good Christmas. Happy New Year to you.

JimF likes this.
  10. KempGuitars

Didn't think I'd post again until 2018 but I've been catching up on a bit of work on my own builds during the "crimbo limbo". These necks will soon be bolted to the forthcoming stock DC3 (white w/ black hardware) and a SS (with the Richlite fretboard and reverse F-head for my own collection), aptly named the "Pinky Dinky"... You can see why from this shot [​IMG] Happy new year to everyone on SS.org and thank you all for your kind words and support throughout 2017

[​IMG]

11. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Jumbo frets, gorgeous dark board, reverse strat headstock - amazing!
    How do you find the richlite to work with? Happy new year to you too!

12. KempGuitars

Hey Jim. Happy new year. The Richlite was okay, no problems. Started to bind a little when sawing out the fret slots but easily overcome by easing off for a few seconds and letting the blade cool down a tad. Frets sit in nice and tight - harder to hammer in - which isn't a bad thing, although I'd hate to do a refret! Doesn't look bad either - certainly doesn't look like stained MDF any more :D All that's left to do now is play it, but it's gonna feel like a nice polished Ebony fboard.

More updates soon - sprayed the body earlier today (Sunday) so that's curing as we speak.

JimF likes this.
  13. KempGuitars

The first proper post of 2018 and I've been back in the spray booth today shooting some clear on the latest Kemp Guitars own (stock/private) builds - white DC3 and that gloriously pink "Pinky Dinky" SS...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both will be fitted with black Gotoh hardware and Irongear pickups... Yes, Irongear pickups - Steam Hammer in the DC3 and Metal Machine in my SS. I could go out and spend a bit more on some bigger brand pickups but I've used these particular pickups before, including a £1500 custom build, and loved them. These will be left to cure now, making room and time for those two exotic DCs that appear earlier in the thread [​IMG]

14. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Funnily enough I’ve been looking at Iron Gear pickups myself. Just ordered a load of hardware from them. Part of me wants to try pods of different pickups but part of me just wants to stick with what I know and like.
    Half tempted to put quick connectors on everything to make swapping easier!

15. KempGuitars

Worth a try. I installed one (Steam Hammer) in a custom build a couple of years back on request and liked it. It was all BKPs, EMGs, SDs, etc until a year ago when I bought some in for a batch of prototype builds. Forgotten how good they were. I also started using the Korean factory made Kent Armstrong's for more recent stock builds - mainly Super Distortion (now known as Grinder). Again, high quality. Pricier than Irongear, and not as much choice, but on par with big brands.

JimF likes this.
  16. KempGuitars

This one will please the ERG/8-string crowd: Working with something a little more "natural" today - but certainly no less boring. Rest of the guitar gets a straight Tru-Oil finish, more soon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  17. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Very nice! How do you find the Tru-Oil to work with? I've tried it a couple of times on knives I've made and didn't get on with it. First one I sanded all off and just used Danish oil and the other I persevered but was getting so many runs. Although after researching recently I think I was using the wrong technique. Is it literally a case of apply sparingly, wipe on and then wipe almost all of it off and repeat?

18. KempGuitars

Thank you, sir.

I'm fine with Tru-Oil and generally use the technique you last described (8-10 coats) on bodies. However, the final couple of coats will be "wet coats" - wiped on and left but not drippy - using thinned Tru-Oil (1 part spirits to three parts Tru-Oil). These coats levels out nicely and give you a semi-gloss finish.

I don't tend to give necks so many coats, especially when they're mainly Wenge (3-4 coats using the "wipe off" method.

JimF likes this.
  19. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Interesting stuff!
    Has the extremely lucky son of a b..-I mean competition winner finalised his spec yet? :D

KempGuitars and KnightBrolaire like this.
  20. KempGuitars

Jealous? ;) Joking :)

Just finalising a few details. It's gonna be a bit less "typical" Kemp, but only in the sense that it'll have all single coils. As soon as the specs are confirmed and I start machining blanks, I'll post details on Facebook, etc.