Kemp Guitars UK Build Thread #2 - Progress and Completion

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by KempGuitars, Jul 8, 2017.

1. KempGuitars

KempGuitars UK Custom Builder Vendor

Those colours... [​IMG] ... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JimF and KnightBrolaire like this.
  2. KempGuitars

Before posting these next pics, I would like to mention that I am currently building other guitars besides these and they will appear very soon. In the meantime; now on the blanket and not far off completion...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two are now on pre-sale - priced at £1599 for the DC (Kiwi) and £1699 for the SS (Orange). Prices include hard case and UK shipping (overseas shipping can be calculated on request). 33% deposit to reserve - both will be ready to ship by the end of this month (August 2017). PM or email matt@kempguitars.co.uk, thank you

JimF and KnightBrolaire like this.
  3. KempGuitars

Finished these two...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. KempGuitars

PS. "Half-fan" is the name I have adopted for the multiscale layout used on these guitars - and future builds. Instead of the placing the neutral (zero degree) fret halfway down the fretboard, I have positioned it at the bridge. Why? Recent research tells me that as you play closer to the guitar's body your hand and wrist resumes a more natural position - meaning the angled frets are no real benefit at this point. So, in addition to all the same benefits of a "regular" multiscale guitar, the half-fan multiscale allows the use of any standard guitar bridge and pickups (you are no longer limited to single bridge units or expensive custom made bridge plates, nor do you have to bear the expense of a custom made angled pickup - not yet available from all pickup manufacturers). The half-fan system is also less daunting for those new to multiscale, as I'm often asked "how easy is it to adapt to a multiscale". Described as "much more logical and playable than the standard approach", I believe the half-fan is the way to go and can be applied to any number of strings.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  5. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Fantastic innovation, fantastic craftsmanship and fantastic choice of colours!

6. KempGuitars

Thanks again Jim. It's always gives me a boost to hear these positive comments when trying something new :)

7. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Awesome! This means the half-fan allows using an Evertune bridge. That combination would be ace.

8. KempGuitars

Yep :) Any bridge can be installed and used with the half-fan multiscale layout. In terms of position on the body, intonating, etc, you wouldn't know the frets were fanned or spread across different scale lengths. That's the beauty of it!

9. KempGuitars

Next build... How about a San-Dimas/Strat-body inspired guitar? Leftie version? And what about an archtop body... And reverse headstock... Yeah! I've also got a fair bit of Wenge and Maple to use up so we'll have some of that too :) Now to decide on the colour.

We're also about to get to work on a custom 8-string multiscale V but the Buckeye Burl top for that is currently sitting in a warehouse in Bodmin with a £40 customs charge on it to be paid More on that one asap.

[​IMG]

KnightBrolaire and M3CHK1LLA like this.
  10. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

^ cool build...just missing a single coil at the neck

11. KempGuitars

Contemplating it but I'm not a neck pickup user, certainly not single coils. Perhaps I will look into SL-59 or Quarter Pounder.

12. KempGuitars

The left-handed archtop Strat-body build taking shape. Going with a blue on this one, black Gotoh hardware and Seymour Duncan Distortion (white) - decided not to go with the neck pickup. Not "cutting costs", just not adding expense as I think this'll be a one-off unless I get the demand - I'm not big on the traditional Strat body...

[​IMG]

13. KempGuitars

We are back online having recently moved house. Unfortunately, not much to report on the build-front as I've been unpacking boxes... However, that leftie Strat-body is ready for spraying (delayed as a result of the move) and the Buckeye Burl top for the custom 8-string multiscale KR3 is now in stock and dry enough to use.

In the meantime, started work on a new design (DC3) a couple of weeks ago. This build is purely to get a feel of the shape, so no half-fan fretboard or luminous paint job on this one. Instead, it'll be left natural...

[​IMG]

I've also started making a little progress on an 8-string Multiscale neck-thru V, starting with the Wenge/Maple neck, on to which I'm gluing a Marblewood fretboard and Buckeye Burl head plate (to mirror the Buckeye top on the Swamp Ash body)...

[​IMG]