Keith Merrow? - Vanished?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lewis, Aug 28, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

so what has happened?. One minute he is all over Seymour Duncan and releasing sick vids all the time, next minute 5months have passed without a single upload?

I feel like Im completely missing something massive that happened. Is he ok?
    Him and Ola were my main go-to gear channels.

2. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

If I remember correctly he wanted to take a break from social media to concentrate on his music.

3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

He has done this before. He is probably working on something and doesn't need the distractions... or he is relaxing and doesn't need the distractions.

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Ran out of companies to endorse! Seriously though, think a guy's allowed to take a 5 month hiatus from posting vids without a "VH1 Where Are They Now" episode dedicated to him -- he's taken lots of 5-6 month breaks from posting vids over the past few years.

5. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard Dignity

Alluvial was touring through May, that's a big part of it probably.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

This is it. IIRC he's working for Fishman now. On top of this, he's got other projects; Alluvial, I believe Conquering Dystopia was recently revived, and of course his own solo stuff.

7. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

There's also the fact that Youtube ad revenue these days is practically nothing. It's not worthwhile him releasing content if he needs to pay bills.

lewis likes this.
  8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I think George Lynch better ditch his boutique guitar/pickup brands that he has some level of involvement in so he can go endorse a shit ton of other brands like the gear whore he is. He's been with ESP, Duncan, and Randall for way too long. He needs to hop from company to company, because he's at serious risk of losing his gear whore crown to Keith Merrow. :lol:

9. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

He's looking for another endorsement to drop after he drops Schecter. Ba-zing!

10. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

He said a year or two ago that he doesn't use or even go on youtube much anymore, a lot of guys stopped using it. He just concentrates on Facebook and Instagram. He also doesn't work for Duncan anymore.

lewis likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

yeah my sister told me it's something like 100,000 views= 100$. So unless you consistently get millions of views it's not really worth it.

12. Spaced Out Ace

It is if you're putting out daily videos and you have $100 x 28-31 days.

lewis likes this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

there's not a lot of youtubers that have that kind of volume and still draw people in consistently, from what I've seen it's mostly those obnoxious vloggers and prank channels. Keith definitely doesn't have that kind of pull.

14. ShadowsfeaR

ShadowsfeaR aka VigilSerus

That's not even worth it. I don't know if you understand how much work it takes to put into a single video, and doing it on a daily basis has proven to MANY YouTubers to ruin their lives, and we're talking about people who can get millions of views per video. I'm absolutely certain Keith would not want to have anything to do with that mess.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Worth noting a lot of youtubers that put out daily videos do that as their livelyhood. Like, they have no other job except making videos. Lets Players, etc etc. A lot of those guys that do daily videos do nothing BUT play games, edit videos, etc etc.

Keith can't do that. He works for Fishman, juggles around multiple bands and a solo project, etc etc. I also believe he's also an audio engineer as well?

16. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

I dig Merrow because his riffs are killer, the content is well done, and his demos are legit. I think all of that is worth more than the daily/weekly content youtubers who are shilling new products quarterly. And he produces actual music instead of gimmicks. I imagine he could probably water that down into lesser weekly posts, but I'm glad he didn't.

17. DredFul

DredFul SS.org Regular

I follow Keith on Facebook and Instagram and he recently posted about doing some preproduction for a solo album. Jeff and him might also be working on some new Conquering Dystopia material IIRC. I also remember him posting some time ago that he wanted to dial down the whole gear thing and focus more on making music.

ThePhilosopher and lewis like this.
  18. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Unless you post videos each day showing your boobs or something like that, you would not get the amount of views needed to work fulltime creating daily-videos for YouTube.
    YouTube is right now oversaturated with guitar stuff demos. The 'famous' creators need to act like monkeys and hope the current hype brand hires them for a couple of months

I find it ok Keith left it. He is on Facebook and it is way more interesting.

19. Spaced Out Ace

And is he getting paid to be on Facebook by posting shitty clickbait articles?

Dcm81 likes this.
  20. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

I don't think so, but it is his personal page and posts whatever he wants.... where is the problem?
    Maybe posting some stuff twice a week takes less time than editing videos, who knows.