Kalium Music's new website, new contact email addresses

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by ixlramp, May 28, 2018.

1. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Kalium Strings has become Kalium Music to combine the strings, basses (formerly Knuckle Guitar Works) and the new work on sub-amplification. The new site is up.

A more affordable production 40" or 37-40" fanned scale bolt-on Quake bass, 2000USD.
    The Cascadia design will return, first as 5 string bass and 7 string baritone (Bass VI type) guitar:
    "4 flavors; parallel 36", fanned 37", parallel 32", fanned 33" - the shorter version is capable of sporting guitar strings (think Bass VI)"
    Possible upright electric bass in future with scales up to 60" and frequencies down to D#00 (10Hz).
    Sub amplification with ability for flat response to 20Hz.

Note the new contact email addresses on the new main site, hope this helps some people.
    https://www.kaliummusic.com/
    They are also present on Twitter and Instagram which hopefully will somewhat help those who are not on FB and are therefore unable to access the FB page.
    https://twitter.com/Kalium_Music
    https://www.instagram.com/kaliummusic/
    https://www.facebook.com/KaliumMusic/

29177607_1005474826273881_5957349166899265536_n.png

The original Knuckle Guitar Works Cascadia.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

Do they actually deliver strings and answer emails? Lots and lots of pissed off folks around the internet that never received their ostring orders or responses. Since you’re the local Kalium fanboy, I’d assume you know what I’m talking about.

DeathChord likes this.
  3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

^ Yeah I'm curious. I'm a huge fan of the company but haven't dealt with them in years due to my insane stock of strings and infrequent playing as of late.

This is exciting, good to see them finally pushing these insane instruments. I've long had an extended 'Bass VII' concept in my mind so that's really exciting to see !

4. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

5. Winspear

Interesting that it isn't further along the horn, but knowing Kalium you can be sure it balances very very well

I play music likes this.
  6. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I can see it balancing well, but I'm not sure if it wouldn't be a bit far to reach that first fret if your strap pin is where the 16th fret is and with the long scale length. Playing standing that is.

7. Winspear

Bare in mind the Cascadia there was only 36" :)

8. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

I'm not a fan of the poor service last year, recently there are reports it is improving, i hope so.

It is a 1 person company so i can imagine communication has to be prioritised, so 'what gauges for X tuning' emails may have to be (and should be) lower priority than order emails, i expect some lower priority emails cannot be answered. Due to the choice apparently they do get flooded with string/set choosing emails.

I get the impression they perhaps became too popular and couldn't keep up, it's possible and understandable that they don't want to expand and be a mainstream string seller and want to be for a tiny ERB / ERG minority. They are also now working more on instruments and amplification. The interest in equal tension sets is growing which perhaps sent too many conventional players their way. I did start to worry when many conventional bassists became interested.

Now i tend to encourage players to build sets from singles of other brands if they can, and only use Kalium if they have to.
    Maybe service is improving because they lost most of their more conventional customers? :)
    It's the problem of becoming too popular and how to control demand. For a tiny 1 person company they seem to have a huge amount of interest, rightly so of course. I think they handled it poorly in terms of openness and communication.

Anyway, a forum member here bought a Quake bass recently and reported they were treated well.

I agree about that button on the Cascadia, it really needs to be nearer the tip.

9. DeathChord

DeathChord FTW

I don't think I even care what their doing unless it has some reguard for how to treat a paying customer. I got jerked around for 6 months until PayPal finally got my money back, my money goes else where now and I get a better product.

10. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Since we’re just throwing out anecdotes, I’ve never had any troubles getting emails answered, and the only issue I had with an order was resolved the next business day.

The problem with the order was no biggie either. I ordered about a dozen guitar strings, and four bass strings. The card that they ship their strings on was labeled for the bass strings, but was sent without them. One simple email and the bass strings were sent out two businesses days after the first package arrived at home.

11. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

its frustrating how well that headstock design works with a bass, and how horrible it looked in every sketch I did for a guitar.

12. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

(mostly) FTFY

AxeHappy likes this.
  13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

My last order with them was filled without incident. :shrug:

14. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

The few times I've ordered strings from Kalium have been fine, but I do it maybe every 2 years for my basses.

Winspear likes this.
  15. Phon

Phon SS.org Regular

I would love to hear the sound from a 60" scale, and even more about the challenges in designing with such a long scale!

16. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I've only ordered from Kalium once, but the order was filled flawlessly and quickly. I didn't even know they had a reputation for shit service until this thread. It was probably about a yearish ago?

Not that I have been keeping tabs though.