Just saw Plini with David Maxim Micic and Nick Johnston in Chicago

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by crazyprofessor, Sep 10, 2017.

1. crazyprofessor

crazyprofessor SS.org Regular

Drove down from my home base of Madison WI to Chicago to see these guys last night.

I am not going to do like a detailed review but I wanted to rave a bit about these guys. I've been digging the hell out of Micic's latest release "Who bit the moon" so I was not disappointed that his entire set was off of that record. The songs on that record are just incredible. Johnson blew me away too with his classic licks (hell, he might even have played an e-minor and some pentatonics). He also won the price for the most amp-hum I've ever heard. Plini was headlining so he went last and included the other two for a jam encore. Totally amazing.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Dang, I don't like making that drive, you can't trust those FIBs!! :D

Sounds like I need to check out that new release.

crazyprofessor and mikernaut like this.
  3. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

I've really been getting into more of David's music lately , I can only imagine how cool it would be to see him live, and I used to live in Madison as well. Heh, WI represent! in this thread.

crazyprofessor likes this.
  4. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

I saw them in Vancouver, it was a great show. I went for David, enjoyed Nick and was BLOWN AWAY by Plini!

While I also love "Who bit the moon" being a long time fan I was a little disappointed he didnt play anything from the early Bilo Albums, it was still awesome though.

It was an interesting night... While we were all lined up waiting to be let in a guy tried to rob the liquor store in the front of the Venue. He ran out and Pepper sprayed the store clerk chasing him before another guy got him in a headlock and put him to sleep. The pepper spray wafted into the lineup... everyone started coughing..police came...arrests were made..5 minutes later an ambulance responded to an overdose across the street...yay VANCOUVER!!!

Oh ya and then when I tried to get into the show someone else had already picked up/stolen my will-call ticket...sooo I almost wasnt going to be let in until the people behind me had an extra ticket they said I could use. A little while later the ticket checker found me and said they think they just accidentally crossed off my name instead of the person above me on the list with a similar name (who's ticket was never claimed)...hopefully that was the case.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    crazyprofessor likes this.
  5. crazyprofessor

wankeress, where in WI are you?

6. CGrant109

CGrant109 SS.org Regular

My guitarist was there and took some videos of his set:

crazyprofessor and downburst82 like this.
  7. crazyprofessor

Love the vid. For once I get something out of having a cell phone screen in front of me lol (I was standing stage left too).

Fucking Killer tune.

8. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

I wanted to see them but couldn't because Harvey :scream2:

9. crazyprofessor

Here's another one of CGrant's buddy's videos from this Sat. Mind blown.

downburst82 and aesthyrian like this.
  10. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Saw the Denver show, it was phenomenal. Simon and Troy deserve some big props for playing all night as well.

AxeHappy and downburst82 like this.
  11. GlxyDs

GlxyDs SS.org Regular

I was there too! I showed up and 3 minutes later pepper spray was all over the place.

Either way, great show. I enjoyed it even more than the last time I was Plini. I was front row grinding up on the PA. Dreams do come true.

aesthyrian and downburst82 like this.
  12. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

Super jealous you made it to that, I imagine it was incredible. I went to buy tickets but it was sold out and I wasn't able to snag one being resold. :hber:

13. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 SS.org Regular

Saw the show in SF. Great line up! I've seen Plini before, he's great but I might say a bit boring live. I mostly went for David & was fully pleased with his whole set. Who Bit the Moon is amazing & his whole set was songs off that record. I've tried but just can't get into his earlier stuff. Nick's set was a pleasant surprise as well. Enjoyed him way more live than I have recorded :)

14. Winry Ember

Winry Ember SS.org Regular

Yeah, Plini's live show didn't impress me... I had never heard of him before and saw him open up for Animals as Leaders, and forgot about him until his music popped up on an Apple Radio playlist. I remember thinking, "dang, this is great, who is this?... Whoa, really?" I totally vibe on his records now, though! xD

15. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

I made the trip from boise to portland to mostly see DMM. Traffic and thinking nick johnston was opening made me miss DMM ;(. Plini and johnston was tight but def a bummer on a 14 hour round trip drive.

aesthyrian likes this.
  16. crazyprofessor

Ohh man.... that sucks. At the Chicago show Johnston opened.

17. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I was at the Toronto show.

DMM and Plini were awesome. Didn't much care for Nick Johnson.

DMM also did an extra song, with Aaron Marshall playing his guest solo, and when all the guitarists did the jamming out thing at the end Aaron came back on. It was a pretty epic show.

Alexxx and downburst82 like this.
  18. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Same story at the Denver show. I walked in and David was playing his last few notes and then said up next is Nick Johnston. The billing had it the other way around. Tour manager/booker or whoever needed to make that more clear.