Just got my Hotplate- Possible Problem?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Anthony, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Banned

Okay, so I just got my hot plate, but I'm having some tonal issues. I can't seem to get a good tone out of it. I have the volume set to about 8 on my amp, and to -16db. When I am on my neck pickup (of any guitar) and play a chord, the amp kinda fades out, and quickly comes back in, and the feedback sounds as if it is fading in and out. Any neck Pickup sounds way too warm because of this.

Also, does anybody know a good site with different tones? I need something to base myself off of.

Oh also, my ICP Decimator does nothing to stop the massive feedback. This thing really is becoming a nuisance. :(

2. Ishan

Ishan Giant Fridge Magnet Contributor

You're pushing your amp too hard with too much attenuation. I usually run volume at 4 with a -8dB attenuation, it sounds perfect.

Anthony likes this.
  3. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Strange, you should be able to run at -16dB?

Still, a few questions:
    1) is the hotplate an 4, 8 or 16ohm one?
    2) What amp are you running it with?
    3) Does this happen at -12dB or -8dB with the amp that loud (you may want to warn neighbours first)
    4) What cab are you using it with, what impedance does that cab have?
    5) Have you checked both speaker leads, or replaced them?
    6) How old are the tubes?
    7) There's a dial on the hotplate which allows more or less attenuation at -16dB, try it so that that is not all the way off, you may find it's far too low or something, or that there may be an issue with the pot.
    8) Is your hotplate new?

Anyway, all that should help us figure out a few things to try. Hard to sometimes know what the issue is when you're diagnosing a fault across a message forum!

Anthony likes this.
  4. Xtremevillan

Xtremevillan im leaving ss.org Contributor

As an owner of a Hot Plate, the first thing someone told me about my tone is not to put it at -16. And they are right. -8 should be the minimum.

The volume knob will not work, by the way, when you put it to anything over -16db.

Anthony likes this.
  5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I use it at -16dB most of the time with no issues... :shrug:

If you're going to use it to the full extent, though, make sure to use the Bright and Deep switches. It puts back in most of what the Hot Plate takes out.

The other thing is, it sounds like you're having the same issue with yours that I did with mine, where whenever you put it on -16db and hit a chord suddenly the volume begins to fade out, but at all other settings it's fine. If this is the case, then you've probably got it hooked up backwards. I was a moron and wasn't thinking, so I plugged the "in" jack into the wire coming out of my combo, and ran the "out" with a speaker cable back to the amp output. Turns out, I wasnt thinking about what the thing was trying to do and you need to run the amp output into the hot plate input, and then the hot plate output out to the speaker.

Also, how much preamp gain are you using? Remember that with a Hot Plate you're adding additional output saturation into your signal, so if you don't lower your preamp gain to compensate for all the poweramp saturation you're producing, you're going to sound seriously oover gained.

Anthony likes this.
  6. Anthony

Anthony Banned

1)8 ohm
    2)Mark IV
    3)Happens at every setting
    4)Mesa Recto 2x12
    5)Huh?
    6)About a year
    7)There's less of the fading, but it doesn't fix it.
    8)Should be. I got it from an ebay store.

Yes, the cables are in the right spot.

It should also be noted that it adds a shit load of gain to my Clean channel. Even when I set the gain to 1, it's still distorted.

7. thadood

thadood 'Das brootal.

Well, yeah. That delightful distortion you're hearing is the power amp overdriving =) You're pushing your power section way too hard. Turn it down to 4-5 and see if it still does it.

Anthony likes this.
  8. Crucified

Crucified Deathgrind Maniac

"leads" is british for speaker cable.

Anthony likes this.
  9. Anthony

Anthony Banned

Awesome, thanks.

Yeah, the cables are fine, and yes, I have my amp currently set to 4. By the way, thanks everyone, I appreciate your help.

10. thadood

thadood 'Das brootal.

So turning it down got rid of that volume compensation issue?

11. Anthony

Anthony Banned

Nope. All the problems remain.

I'm seriously think the hotplate is just defective. It's not like I have a confusing set up, just a MKIV to the hotplate.

12. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    ok, have you checked your speakers for rips or the like? Probably not, but may help.

Otherwise, try it with a different amp, see if that does the same (briefly) and that'll help you eliminate the possibilities, ie, it's either the hotplate, or something else.