Just bought a TC-50

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sevenfoxes, Jun 11, 2018.

1. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

I say forget the Archon. It's a great sounding amp, but overpriced for what it is. Also, I had serious issues with the fx loop with both of the Archons I had. They weren't the first run ones either. One was built in 2017, and the other was built in 2018. They both created an insane amount of hiss that I could not tame. I tried every trick in the book to eliminate, but nothing worked. The second Archon I had even made an odd buzzing sound when idle, and made popping sounds whenever i turned it on. I can't help but question their quality control now. At the end of the day, i was much happier with my 5153, and had cash to spare.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018 at 10:00 AM
    lurè and The906 like this.
  2. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

My Archon is a couple years old...but it has none of those issues. I use the effects loop 100% of the time. Having said that the TC would have it beat on versatility if that matters to you.

lurè likes this.
  3. sevenfoxes

I'm not saying it's a standard issue with the Archon (aside from the early models), but I am suggesting to be cautious. Two different Archons recently manufactured, and they both exhibited the same fx loop issues. What are the odds?

But yeah, most people seem to be perfectly happy with the fx loop on the Archon now. I'm just one of the lucky ones.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    lurè likes this.
  4. lurè

lurè SS.org Regular

The TC-50 looks versatile but it's 50W and, at least in Europe, is 500€ more than the Archon.

I'm also very tempted to wait and save up for the TC-100.

5. sevenfoxes

If i like the TC-50 enough, I'll probably wait a few years until there are more used TC-100 amps on the market. Save myself a few hundred dollars.

lurè likes this.
  6. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Tight and aggressive. And I had the tight switch disengaged. Very controllable volume. Im assuming you will get some recto-ish sag once you turn it up. But with the minutes I had with it, I loved the sound. I ended with a JP2C though.

Kyle Jordan and sevenfoxes like this.
  7. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Switched the tubes back to EL34s and tried it with my EVH 5153 EL34 cab, absolutely slays. That’s the recipe for evil tones.

8. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

I really want a lower watt TC badly.

9. sevenfoxes

I got the TC-50 yesterday. All around great amp, but i am having difficulty jiving with the red channel (which is the reason i bought it). Not really sure if i like it. The crunch and clean channels are stellar though!

10. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

How do you have channel 3 setup?

11. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Bummer. Maybe you can return the TC50 and find a Mark IV? At least you have a 5153 to hold it down while you search.

sevenfoxes likes this.
  12. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

This was my opinion of it when I tried it. Crunch and clean were nice... for heavy rhythms or leads... my Triple Recto or Marks crushed it. And since I was mainly interested in the lead channel... I passed on it.

:agreed: :erk:

sevenfoxes likes this.
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

What was wrong with CH3? Not aggressive enough?

14. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Whatever does it for ya I guess. :shrug: I preferred it to my Mark V and other Mesa’s. That said, I don’t use channel 3 with the tight switch engaged and it is always boosted with an OD.

sevenfoxes likes this.
  15. sevenfoxes

Tight switch is off.

Presence - about 12:30
    Lows - 3:00
    Mids - 9:30
    Highs - 1:30

...according to memory.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 3:26 PM
  16. sevenfoxes

Well, I actually am liking it a lot more since I put 6l6 tubes in it. There are a ton of mids on this amp though, and I feel like the low end can sound a little flubby at times. The gain structure is not that aggressive, but does have a nice fat and warm sound/feel to it. It's more of a hard rock amp than a metal amp, but It makes my 5153 sound cold and harsh by comparison.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 3:30 PM
  17. sevenfoxes

I find the leads to be excellent on this amp, but I think it's the mids and lows that might be throwing me off. The 6l6 swap made a huge difference though.

I am thinking I might pick up a multi watt recto, but I'm really concerned about it being fizzy at lower volumes.

KailM likes this.
  18. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

^^^Have you checked out the "GAS is a real thing...and a problem" thread yet? :lol:

19. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I was going to say some may prefer these with 6L6s, it definitely rounds out and fattens the tone whereas the EL34s make it sound more edgy and raw. The bottom end is looser without either running on OD or engaging th tight switch. I prefer the OD without tight switch engaged. For modern metal tones, you need to run them that way. They do have a lot of mids, but unlike the Mark you don’t have the 5 band EQ to scoop some away. I think adding a Mesa 5 band EQ might help shape it a little more. I noticed Willie Adler is doing that. I was able to get similar results using my Helix into the TC and the Cali EQ clone.

sevenfoxes likes this.
  20. sevenfoxes

Yeah, I'm actually not a fan of the tight switch on these amps. Mainly because I think it should be used as more of an effect, as opposed to a set and forget type of setting. Without being able to engage the tight mode via footswitch, it just kinda defeats the purpose, imo.

Btw, I put the el34 tubes back in. I think I am losing my mind, because I am actually REALLY digging the 3rd channel now, and can offer zero explaination as to why I didn't like it from the get-go. Wtf? The only thing I can think of is that I spent more time getting to know the amp, and learning how to dial it in while it had 6l6 tubes in it. After I put the el34 tubes back in, I already knew how the amp responded to the eq. Ok, I admit it then. I blame myself for not dialing it in right the first time I played. :shrug:

The lead tones from this amp are insanely good, and fetching modern metal tones is pretty damn easy. This is one of those amps that's every bit as good for rhythm as it is for leads. My only gripe now is that I wish channel 2 had more low end. I'm sure an eq pedal would do the trick. Oh, and engaging the fx loop does shave off some high end. It's easy to restore though.