JP15 7 String or Majesty 7?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Brumlicr, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Brumlicr

Brumlicr SS.org Regular

I've just about got enough funds for one of these suckers and I was hoping to get someone's opinions on these guitars. I have always loved maple necks and the JP15 looks right up my alley. My only concern is if it can handle heavy technical metal because that is the type of music I play, which I know the majesty is pretty well suited for that type of stuff. My only quarrel with the Majesty is that I just can't wrap my head around the looks. However, my main concern is playability and versatility. So which one do you guys think I should go for? If the Jp15 can pull off really heavy music I will probably shoot for that one. I just haven't seen any demos of the JP15 playing extreme technical metal music. Just primarily jazz and rock. If someone could help me out that'd be sick! Thank you! :hbang:

2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Any style is possible on JPs regardless of year and they can certainly handle heavy technical playing.

3. azyat

azyat 吉他之道

Just 2 cents of my experience:)
    I don't know if you consider DT plays a kind of heavy and technical music, but when I listened to the Man himself during their gig, I didn't like the tone of Majesty after a song played with JP15. If you need clarity and tightness for your playing style, go for JP15 with a maple neck.

4. Brumlicr

Brumlicr SS.org Regular

Jason is such a tight player man! I was just skeptical about the JP15 because it looks pretty strat like and im not looking for a twangy type of tone in a guitar really. I'll probably shoot for it though.

5. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

:scratch:

6. Brumlicr

Brumlicr SS.org Regular

Idk man it sounded twangy in a couple samples I heard lol. But I'm sure it can pull off the heavy tones and create some smooth tones too. Just asking for those with experience with it is all as to how versatile the instrument is.

7. TheRileyOBrien

Looks have nothing to do with it. Strats are twangy mostly because of their single coil pickups. The jp can simulate that(to an extent) with coil tapping/piezo but it is a two humbucker superstrat type guitar, which is the most widely used style of guitar in metal. This guitar does all the things any other superstrat does...and better than most. I had one of the '03 models that I really miss.

There is a huge amount of examples on youtube of people playing metal with these guitars. Just search for "musicman jp metal"

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

both guitars the JP15 and the majesty have the exact electronics/pups configuration. So technically are the "same"

The difference comes with the mass of the guitars as both have different shape, bolt-on vs neck tru.

And different wood combinations, so if you believe in the whole tone wood debate, then go for the one that you like wood most.

Other than that, jsut go for the one you like the look the most. I personally dont like the JP15 as I dont like a "brown" guitar, the shade of "brown" or wood used is not what I like, and personally I like the majesty shape more

9. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Did the JP you heard that sounded twangy have piezos? And were they playing on the clean channel? :lol:

10. Greenbrettiscool

Greenbrettiscool SS.org Regular

I've had both, and I returned the Jp15 7 for the majesty artisan Viola 7 and couldn't of been happier with my decision. The jp15 honestly looked amazing in person but the neck felt a little sticky when your hand started to sweat alittle but still felt great, but for some reason the jp15 sounded way too bright, harsh and twangy, it the neck was almost too thin for a natural neck because I would actually bend the neck while playing which made notes fret out and the neck heel was just the same as any Jp out there. Maybe a pickup swap would do the trick, but the neck joint on the majesty is unreal, the neck profile felt better, the arm cut contour is much more comfortable and the balanced tone with the mahogany body/neck made the world of difference. It's way more fluid, has punch but not harsh sounding at all and has more sustain with the neck thru I think. The switches on the Majesty are also different than JP models, they are much smoother and quicker than the JPs with the laser eye switch, but that's the only difference electronics wise.
    I say go with the Majesty, it is balanced better, sounds fantastic and plays out of this world... Just my 2 cents:)

11. Brumlicr

Brumlicr SS.org Regular

See? So I'm not as crazy as you all are making me out to be about the twanginess of the JP15 lol. It honestly has a twangy/brighter tone to it like Ive seen in many of the videos it was featured in. Thanks for the input everyone. Very helpful. Part of me wants to go Majesty pretty bad, but I've never liked the ebony fretboards on JP guitars. Is the ebony on the Majesty better than previous bfr models?

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Neck-thru VS Bolt on. It has nothing to do with the body shape, but with the neck joint.

With that said, much prefer the regular ol' JP6/JP7 over any of them. :fawk:

Also, you have to try really, REALLY hard for the JP7 to suck at metal.

13. TheRileyOBrien

I agree here. I like the ones with the forearm scoop more than any of the others.

"Twangy" is a stretch. Brighter...sure.

14. Brumlicr

Brumlicr SS.org Regular

Maybe I used the wrong terminology. Sorry to offend you like holy .... dude lol. Can't give a little helpful advice without sounding condescending? Want to lend me your ears since you clearly have an objectively superior sense of hearing? Man some people on this forum are a buzzkill lol.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

You sound a lot more offended then he does, dude. :lol:

16. Brumlicr

Brumlicr SS.org Regular

I'm not offended really, just pointing out that some people can't really give constructive feedback without being condescending about it. It's kind of annoying haha.

17. Hachetjoel

Hachetjoel Ibanez whore Contributor

I pretty often associate the jp's with extreme tech metal, I blame my local scene, Id say if you like it go for it. great great quality guitars.

18. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Blackest of the Black Metal

Can't go wrong with either of them imo

19. TheRileyOBrien

Yes, terminology was what I was trying to clarify. Not sure what was condescending about my comment. I wasn't the least bit offended about anything? Just trying to help.

Maybe your post was just worded poorly. You said it looks like a strat and you are concerned with it being too twangy. Strats are twangy...strat and tele single coil sound is the definition of twangy. The JP models are on the other side of the spectrum. They can be configured to sound sort of that way...but they aren't inherently twangy by any stretch.

As a direct comparison of JP15 vs Majesty. The sound difference mostly comes down to the difference between a maple fretboard and an ebony fretboard. Maple is a bit brighter sounding. But not a huge difference. The tone difference between woods is so small that there is a good contingent of people(not me) who completely deny that various woods sound different.

This has nothing to do with my ears...or even my opinion.

I will also add that those guitars are pretty different from each other(I've played both) and most(there's always exceptions) it seems don't base their decision between the two on the sound but rather the form and function.

If you prefer the look and feel of the JP but it sounds too bright for you, get a non 15 one that doesn't have the maple board.

20. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Toan is on the left-side. :spock: