Johan Gustavsson Bluesmaster 7-string $6k

Discussion in 'Guitars For Sale / Trade / Wanted' started by narad, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Brief & Accurate Description of gear/guitar: Not so brief one below
    JG 7 String, ex condition, handmade, braz RW, 50 yr + old honduran mah. body

Modifications (if any): None, 2 small dings not through finish, otherwise mint
    Accessories (hardshell case etc): Hardshell case (pictured)
    Location (City,State or City,Country): Sunderland, MA
    Contact Info (No Phone #s): jason PERIOD narad AT gmail.com
    References Required (eBay or other forum userid): jasonnarad on ebay, narad on TGP
    You could see Quinny on TGP, previous owner of this guitar
    Price (include currency and if firm/obo): $6k firm, or with partial trade

Hi all,
    I'm selling my JG Bluesmaster. For those that don't know, JGs are being hailed by a lot of people on TGP as one of the best, if not the best, solidbody* guitars you can buy. I haven't seen a 6-string JG sell for less than $10k in years, and they frequently sell in the $11-12k. Being a much harder market for 7-strings, I'm selling for $6k outright.

Johan is a one-man operation. He builds by hand using old wood stores. Braz RW fretboard, 50+ year old mahogany, eastern maple tops, etc. 59' style specs, however the guitars are often described as slightly more 355 sounding than LP. For a vintage-style 7-string, I can't imagine it getting much better than this.

*Most Gustavssons are chambered, and I suspect this one is. This moves it tonally a bit more toward the 355 side of things.

The bridge is a Baker, the pickups are SDs with a push/pull split. There are two small dents, one below the pickguard and the other on the body opposing the controls, but neither is through the finish or large enough to photograph. I'll let the photos do the rest of the talking (very 3-d, perspective-shifting flame).

I'm open to a few partial trades for blackmachines, engl invader 100, diezel herbert/schmidt, engl 850/100, Ken Lawrence, caparison tat special. I have many references on TGP. Please email me interested (PMs are fine, email is best).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

budda likes this.
  2. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

Since you are new here you get a freebie - please read the Rules posted at the top of the forum. Once you have please edit your original post to include the information and your references.

:cheers:

3. badger71

badger71 SS.org Regular

I'm surprised Matte Henderson hasn't jumped on this over at TGP. Usually custom 7s are his thing.

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

bump - and Matte and I have been talking a bit, but if something happens it won't be a straight cash deal, which would be slightly more preferable.

5. narad

narad SS.org Regular

bump

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

bump

7. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

Nice guitar but for 6K i'd get a Moser. Especially with those tuners..they look like the cheapos that gibson uses...:scratch: What are they?

Also the neck type would be nice info.:yesway:

8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

The Gibson connection is intentional - it's a very burst-inspired instrument. It's not that Johan was trying to shave $40 on tuners for a guitar that sells for $10,750 new.
    I have trouble describing 7-string necks, suffice to say it's most like a widened 59'. I don't have the measurement info on me, but I would be happy to remeasure for serious buyers.

I think if you're debating between this and a Moser, then this isn't the guitar for you. This is more for people that wish 59' 7-strings existed, not really for people looking for BC Rich style guitars.

Sadly if this were a 6-string I would have no trouble selling it for ~$10k - plenty of record of this on thegearpage, and the incoming sales at DAG are always sold out:
    DestroyAllGuitars Gustavsson Sales Archive

9. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

Mosers are not like bcrich guitars. they are way ahead of them and most builders. The looks yes i agree there lets not forget that they even stole the Scythe-Virgin model from Moser in the early 90's. And he designed the Bich model. :agreed:

I am just saying that those tuners cheapen a guitar that looks very good as far as craftmanship is concerned. If he wanted the vintage look he should had ordered a custom-head, quality, tuner set. that would have been cool.:yesway:

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

They're Gotoh vintage style tuners. They're fine and not cheapening anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.