Jeff Loomis leaving schecter?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by blacai, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

If you put it that way, sure, but mostly what I saw in this thread was speculation about what brands he'd realistically wind up with, not 'dream scenarios'. No doubt there was a few posts like that though. Even so, if it was all a joke I think you're allowed some exaggeration. We all know this forum can get carried away sometimes. However, I can't be the only one who's had conversations with guitar friends about artist X moving to brand Y. It's a pretty standard thing, honestly, and I feel if this was a thread about Clapton or Eric Johnson instead of Jeff Loomis, there wouldn't be that same stigma. Because it helps a lot when you picture the conversation between two old dudes swapping stories over beers vs. pimply-faced shred guitar nerds hunched over their keyboards.

In that sense I think it's easy to belittle the 'instagram likes' thing because social media is an easy target; it's not the kind of stuff I talk about because I only have a languishing Facebook account as far as social media go, but if I was talking with a friend and I had that info, I would probably bring it up. I don't really see the big deal, to be honest. It's part of the world we live in, even if many of us (including myself, more times than I care to admit) distance ourselves from it to seem easy-going and cool. I'm not at all caught up with that new-fangled 'kid crap' all the narcissists cling to! Nope, definitely not! Meanwhile, if this was 2004 and I'd read in Guitar World that Loomis had 'dug the Jackson stuff at NAMM', I'd be speculative as fuck :lol:

Yep, it seemed to me Wes had a list of all the features he liked in different guitars and combined them into one. The guy is a killer player. One of the best up-and-comers. He also has great taste in guitars so far as I can tell. So I'm not sure whether he didn't get enough direction from Schecter or what, but that sig seemed more like a personal 'hall of fame of guitar specs' than a cohesive design. I think he's better off with Ibanez anyway.

2. hexfactor

hexfactor SS.org Regular

That is totally false

xCaptainx likes this.
  3. hexfactor

hexfactor SS.org Regular

That is totally false

Church2224 and xCaptainx like this.
  4. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Yes.

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Just what I've read a few times. What was the reason then for ending his contract and suddenly playing Ibanez on tour instead of Schecter?

6. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

I had heard he had failed to complete his contractual obligations of his arrangement (was supposed to do a new conquering dystopia album with Keith to launch at a specific date) so they butted heads and both parties stepped away.

Ultimately though, the 'why' is business between the two parties and I doubt either will divulge exact details.

Shame really, as that guitar was dope.

7. sly

sly SS.org Regular

I would be really surprised if Jeff doesn't sign a deal quickly with an other brand. With it's level of notoriety, he should probably get royalties on the sales of it's signature models, and I can't imagine that he spits on easy money (that he deserves by the way).

8. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

that pickguard is a disaster

9. sezna

sezna undermotivated

On what?

10. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

[​IMG]

11. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

I was about to say. I'm a huge fan of Tele shaped guitars, but that one just didn't look right.

Ebony likes this.
  12. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

the Wes Hauch Tele

13. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

That the new Loomis model?

NickS likes this.
  14. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

If this is true, I would have left as well. A guitar company is not going to tell me if, when or how many albums I release. Ill let a RECORD company tell me that though.

15. ArtDecade

I have a feeling that if Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, etc. etc. etc. dropped an endorsement deal, some custom guitars, and some advertising in your lap as long as you record and tour with their gear, you'd find a way. Otherwise, why would they waste their time?

16. cwhitey2

Its one thing to rep it when your doing those things one your own free will, it's another for them to tell you to record and rep it.

I better be getting royalties for the album I'm supposed to record.

Also, I don't know the details of his contract other then the hear say i quoted.

17. ArtDecade

No guitar company is going to back a musician that is not in the public eye. Its a business.
    No albums and no touring mean no exposure for the brand.

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If it's part of the deal you signed you will.

They weren't sticking red hot pokers in his eyes. He's a musician and they asked him to music.

Endorsement deals go both ways. You don't just get gear for nothing, especially if you're a somewhat unknown player.

JoshuaVonFlash and cwhitey2 like this.
  19. cwhitey2

I totally understand that it works both ways. Imo Schecter benefited more then Loomis did. Keith on the other hand is making out like a bandit.

20. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Correct, however currently Loomis is in Arch Enemy (one of the more popular and frequent touring metal bands out there) so in terms of being in the public eye as a metal musician it doesn't get much better than that. Honestly, he was probably contracted to write another CD record but with AE's touring cycle there probably wasn't the time. You'd think that Schecter would have overlooked that because of his contribution to Arch Enemy.

Sermo Lupi likes this.