Jeff Loomis leaving schecter?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by blacai, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Xiphos68

Xiphos68 SS.org Regular

Jeff decided to become a free agent. He's still friends with Schecter he said on a Instagram comment.

I'm curious to see he'll go with in the end or maybe he'll stay a free agent.

It'll either be ESP or Jackson I'd imagine or he might go back to Schecter. Who knows?

2. hexfactor

hexfactor SS.org Regular

You can only carry so many guitars on tour, Arch Enemy does not fill arenas like Iron Maiden does. This tour he takes his Jacksons, lets see what he digs up next tour. He just might bring up an old Hamer just to mess with everyone

3. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Alright so I was bored at work and over-committed to the joke. Here's your custom loomis hurdy gurdy.

edit: forgot "made in USA". dang.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  4. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Schecter can't seem to make up their minds about what to do with the JL stock. Sometimes they're easier to find than others on their website, sometimes they have prices listed with buy it now options, sometimes they don't. C'mon closeouts!

5. hexfactor

hexfactor SS.org Regular

Thats because there is not much stock left, I think they have a few lefties and a jlx7, as far as I know most of the stock has been bought out by stores. Wish I had a bit of extra money, I would grab that last Cygnus and get Chewy to repaint it something dimebagish

6. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

A hurdy gurdy wouldn't feel out of place in Arch Enemy, they're basically just an accordion, a violin and a couple of lyrics about boozing and riding into battle on the back of Sleipner away from being a folk metal band :shred:

7. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

Off topic, but what happened with Wes Hauch and Schecter?

8. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Doubt it was anything in particular, Wes has been playing basically any brand under the sun. From what I remember he just needed an 8 string for live shows, tried an RG8 and ended up sticking with Ibby.

drmosh likes this.
  9. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

He did have a sig too though

10. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

He tagged Mike Orrigo (Ibanez's current artist relations guy) various times on Instagram and Ibanez shared one of Alluvial's songs on Facebook a year ago, so I'm very sure he's now endorsed by them.

11. feraledge

He put out that sick Schecter sig and in the process got picked up by Black Crown Initiate late in the process. Started playing 8s and I think used that as an excuse to jump ship to Ibanez.
    Was a sick sig though.

12. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I still want a Cygnus :(

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I heard a few times that Wes got stuck on tour and Schecter sent him out unplayable lemons so then Ibanez jumped in and sorted him out with some guitars. It probably voided his contract and he was free to move to Ibanez then.

14. Tonal_Blasphemy

Tonal_Blasphemy SS.org Regular

^ Man if that's true that clears some things up. His departure from Schecter just happened. One minute there and the next minute gone. I remember seeing that first Ibby they sent him on Instagram. Black with he green Pups I think. He just got another one from them that looks beautiful.

15. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Wes didn't seem to have much heart in that signature anyway. It was obvious where the inspiration was coming from, right down to the trans-brown back being an homage to Dimebag's Washburns, but it wasn't a very cohesive design. It still kind of looked like a prototype when he was done with it. I know some people loved it...I'm just saying it was a bit mishmash. I also wonder to what extent it was a product of his relationship with Keith Merrow and the convenience of working with a brand so near to hand. Just sort of seemed like a first-step endorsement, even at the time.

Back to Loomis...

The internet likes to speculate...it is what it is. Even still, I don't understand how you can call Arch Enemy Jeff's 'day job' in one sentence, then express exasperation in another over the fact that people are scrutinising his Instagram likes. It's like you say: Loomis is a professional within an industry. His social media accounts are an extension of that 'job'. What he says and what he 'likes' are curated for one reason or another (but probably not contrived)...we're not getting an unfiltered view into the life of Jeff Loomis. Contracts even include provisions about social media coverage these days. It's a very standard thing.

Not that I'm saying he's signed a contract already. The Jackson stuff might just be a good will gesture at this point. But I doubt it's for nothing. He's a pretty big artist with a lot of potential to build a signature guitar around, so he'll move to one of the other big brands soon. Having a custom guitar built by some random luthier doesn't preclude any of that. The question of whether he'll move on or not isn't an 'if', it's a 'when'. :2c:

wannabguitarist and Ebony like this.
  16. feraledge

I’m joking about how fucking nerdy we are, y’all think I’m really out to make a statement. Just acknowledging that if any of these comments about IG likes and dream endorsement scenarios were uttered aloud to real life company, instead of the SSO sphere, those people would be rightfully concerned.

NickS likes this.
  17. NickS

NickS Carvinite

Cheers to that! The first step (for all, or at least most, of us) is admitting that you have a problem:lol::wallbash::wallbash:

feraledge likes this.
  18. feraledge

There’s like five people in real life, maybe, that I’ve ever uttered in actual words 90% of the things I’d say on this forum. And that doesn’t include a number of touring and professional musician friends. This is a nerd Mecca.

19. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Might be a reason, but a brand must be quite st00pid to sent to an endorser heavily flawed instruments during a tour, especially if the brand tells every now and then that their guitars are double checked in their custom shop. Honestly, that doesn't sound very Schecter to me.

Also, like Sermo Lupi said, he never gave the impression of being too much into it, and not just because "if you want some shit that doesn't suck, you my like this one" doesnt exactly sound like the super excited words that a new signature artist would say when interviewed - like he did - he really seemed very meh about the whole thing. Maybe he just took the chance to increase his fanbase and then moved to a brand who was definitely closer to his preferences.

Same did Chris Garza, who waited for the public announcement of his new signature - a very cool one too btw - to join Ibanez.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this. There was a lot of clashing with his sig model and seemed super rushed. He didn't seem like a Tele player, so that came out of nowhere. It's like he saw Michael Keene's Jackson and was like "I wanna do that!".

I felt like if he stuck with that one idea of keeping the seafoam finish, H-S config... add a maple board or give it a matching stock, it would have been perfect and a ton more cohesive.

[​IMG]