Javier Reyes got a Claas.. savagery ensued

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by KnightBrolaire, Apr 20, 2018.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

If I remember right, and it might even be a myth, phillips screws were actually designed to "cam out", to sacrifice themselves before the material because over-driven screws can be worse than a ruined screw head. For increased torque, we should be using torx. Or heck even posidrive or Robertson, but because posidrive and Robertson only has four "catches" like Phillips, you are more likely to find yourself in a situation where you can't tighten a screw any more because you have less than 90 degrees of space in your driver's range so you can't reach back to the next engagement point. With a 6-pointed torx or hex, you only have to pull back 60 degrees to catch the next engagement point.

2. NateFalcon

NateFalcon don’t play in the street

About time people got smart...ever drive 3” screws with Phillips tips? I’ve been wondering for 20 years when the industry is going to completely abandon straight and phillips fasteners.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG/pickup hoarder

I built a deck with my dad and used only hex screws/robertson (square tip). God it made life so much easier than when I built one with my uncle years back (he only bought cheap shitty phillips screws). So many stripped out screws, so little time. Conversely, I had zero issues with hex/robertson screws.

AxeHappy, Zhysick and NateFalcon like this.
  4. NateFalcon

I’ll gladly pay the extra money for the hex heads...best thing that ever happened for decking and lumber

5. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe it's Japanese Phillips screws/screwdrivers that do that whole themselves before the material thingy. I remember reading about something similar after I noticed that screws on my Gotoh trem were a little different than regular.

I can't recall 100% but I'd look in to it.

6. NateFalcon

Phillips screws/drivers were first designed by John Thompson to “center” the tool in the fastener and keep the screw “directed” straight for getting the screw started -developed for the machining and auto industries in the 1930’s to save time...

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    bostjan likes this.
  7. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

You're referring to JIS screws, and no, they're actually the opposite - designed not to cam out whereas philips heads are.

8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Ahhh, got mixed up then. Cheers.

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I hate philips screws for exactly the reason pointed out here: every philips screw sold since 1999 has been made of pot metal, so they are inevitably going to become circle screws after the third or fourth adjustment. Sadly, I think hex is already starting to go down the same path, as ~75% of hex screws used in electronics now are made of the same cheap-ass metal. Torx is an inherently better design, but it only means that, once they become popular, manufacturers will take the better design as an excuse to make screws out of chrome-plated plastic to save money.

Regarding Claas, I have mixed feelings. I admire the innovation in the designs, but I question the need for so many bolts to hold the neck in place. The workmanship is an issue best left for the people who have played these instruments to judge. It seems fairly obvious that Padlaka pays more attention to detail, but it also seems obvious that Padlaka pays more attention to detail than 99.99% of other builders out there, so it's not really a fair comparison. It'd be like I'm teaching a child how to swim and keep bashing them because they aren't as good as Michael Phelps.

AxeHappy likes this.