Jason Richardson / The secret of the sweep and to skip a string

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Juan_sa, May 16, 2017.

1. Beefmuffin

Beefmuffin New Boot Goofin

I honestly don't know if JR does anything over Skype anymore, including the next step of the sweeping lessons. I took the lesson back in 2015 when he was still doing regular lessons as well for money. Since then, I was at JP's Guitar Universe last year and a gentleman asked him if he did Skype lessons anymore, to which Jason's reply was no, as he no longer needs that extra revenue. However, someone here mentioned Matthew Mills, who still takes on students and provides Skype lessons, and he can certainly show what comes next after the alternate picking is down. Or he has the nifty instructional video that was also mentioned.

For those looking not to spend money or are not getting responses from Jason at his email address that was provided with the lessons (if it still is), I can try to describe the next step here, as it is pretty simple. Once you have the alternate picking and finger placements down with a decent speed, it almost starts to happen naturally. Instead of alternate picking everything, you now will continue with your down or upstroke movement for any string that has only one note. For strings with 2 or more notes, you will alternate pick that part. You do not want to hammer on/pull off anything. This is where so much of the clean/consistent sound comes from. Another big thing that is tested is the muting of the strings, which is done with a mix of the flesh of your picking hand for strings under the note that is played , and the flesh on the fingers of the fretting hand for strings above the note that is played. To be honest though, the transition from alternate picking to sweeping was way easier than I had thought it would be as it was very natural, but I did have to back off the speed quite a bit when first getting the hang of the "sweep" vs the full alternate pick.

2. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I bought this lesson a couple months back. I found some of the fingerings more convenient than what I was doing and others less convenient. I mostly use his fingerings unless I'm playing something stupidly fast though.

3. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I purchased the lessons on the weekend and am liking them. The fingering whilst initially feels strange actually makes a tone of sense as you always end up in the right place for the next part of the sequence. Also, being someone who learnt to sweep barred, the difference with playing with individual fingers is awesome - it's definitely cleaner at the same speed than barring for me. I'm going to report back in a few months after of doing this every day.