Jason Richardson Signature EBMM?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MrYakob, Jan 26, 2016.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You're way overthinking it.

The JP trem wasn't some amazing breakthrough.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bridge. I have a few JP7s. But there's absolutely nothing special about the bridge. They could swap it out tomorrow for a Contour or a Wilkinson or a Fender Deluxe unit and the guitar will still perform the same.

The bridge is merely the plate that holds the strings. The spring tension and configuration determines the feel, the routing on the body and geometry of the neck joint determine the range of movement, and the nut and string play determines tuning stability.

Also, I don't think you're remembering the trem Renaissance that was the 80's and 90's. Yeah, Floyd ruled the roost, but because they were patented and locked in with manufacturers all kinds of cool bridges came about. Kahler, Washburn, Ibanez, ESP, Schaller and many more were constantly tweaking both locking and non-locking trems trying to make the Floyd killer. If anything this is the most stagnant time in trem history.

Randy, Bigfan and oracles like this.
  2. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

yo i heard he's gonna put a jazzmaster trem on his sig model

Veldar likes this.
  3. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

I think we're talking past each other. Again, there's nothing about the design that is revolutionary. We're on the same page with that. The question is whether the JP bridge feels like other traditional floating trems, and no, in my opinion it doesn't. Does it feel like a Floyd either? Not completely. But it was designed to replace a Floyd for all the things Petrucci needed it to do. That's not the same thing as taking a Gotoh 510 off the rack and saying, 'eh, this should do John. You need to compromise'. So inasmuch as this is a speculative discussion about the reputation of a bridge and why it's commonly set apart, the disparity between how that bridge looks and feels is a large part of that. Why would the design need to be groundbreaking for it to feel different? Whether or not its innovative is beside the point. The blueprint can be basically the same, yet if there's minor tweaks and different materials used, the bridge is going to take on its own character. Which apparently it did.

4. Ji Sung

Ji Sung SS.org Regular

Would buy in a heartbeat.

Veldar likes this.
  5. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

It's not a good trem for me, then, because most of my trem playing style actually came from Dimebag, and I'm using real heavy gauges on my strings.

WintermintP

6. Buffnuggler

Buffnuggler SS.org Regular

This guy has had such a weird career trajectory. I couldn't get into his solo album at all.

oracles, Randy, Masoo2 and 1 other person like this.
  7. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I have one of the newish JP7 trems on a shelf over here. It’s a nice piece. Brass block that’s machined to have a piezo board screwed to it. Saddles look nice with a piezo element for the strings. It has this metal cover that screws on to cover up the intonation screws and springs. And the treble-side stud is off to the side so that you can run the saddles low without fears of the high e string touching the top of the stud.

But it also just functions like a 2-point trem. Don’t get me wrong, it has some neat features I mentioned above, but it’s a 2-point trem at the end of the day. The Floyd is too, but it has locking saddles and tends to be used with a locking nut, so it’s tuning stability is just better.

8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I saw him live with Polyphia last summer. I think his music is pretty boring and same with Polyphia actually, but they're all good players so I went anyway. I couldn't get into it either and the show ended up being pretty dull.

9. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

My friend came up with a really accurate reason as to why he dislikes that style of music (which I agree with). It's basically clinical straight up 1234123412341234 note after note after note.

A good way to look at it is take a section that's just a flurry of notes, and pretend all the notes are the same. It's like nonstop, never changing notenotenotenotenote

Compare that with something that's super shreddy but also has more variety:

Not saying what Jason does is bad and/or easy, I certainly appreciate it and understand what he's trying to do, but it's not something I'm personally in to.

10. WintermintP

Although I have to admit, Fragments sounds very neat composition/production-wise. I just prefer Jason's version of the Holcomb solo that the former played in the Toneforge playthrough.

WintermintP

11. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Could be right. I think especially in the case of Polyphia, they try to be melodic but really just put too many goddamn notes into any given melody and not a lot of dynamics to go with it. Even when they do produce a good melody, the whole thing feels flat and lifeless. I love instrumental guitar artists but those two just do nothing for me.

12. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Basically sounds like a midi track lol

Pablo, Masoo2 and Avedas like this.
  13. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

That's sadly a great way of putting it lmao

14. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

A lot of modern metal forgets that a song needs to be catchy. Gotta have a hook and a groove. A lot of times I’ll be listening to a song and thinking “cool riffs,” but when the song is over, there’s not a single part of it that I remember or that is stuck in my head.

nunolonzanida and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  15. WintermintP

But then I could argue that metal is one of the genres where "it has to be catchy" doesn't apply as much as other genres.

WintermintP

16. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

There's a time and place for all of it, sometimes I'll drone out to some doom and other days I'll spin Ride the Lightning to get something faster going on. I can guarantee you theres far far less shreddy bands when you compare them to bands that put out songs that familiar songwriting and structure in existence.

That, plus as long as the artist is writing their music for themselves then that's what matters! There'll always be critiques for different bands and styles.

Lorcan Ward and ThePhilosopher like this.
  17. WintermintP

Again, still, I can come up with a few tracks off the top of my head that don't have a hook or a groove and it's still some of my favourites.

Case in point:

WintermintP

18. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

We can all agree that the EBMM MAJESTY is the best guitar ever produced right?

I’m joking of course (subjective) but I love both of mine

Mathemagician likes this.
  19. WintermintP

Guys, sorry for the necro, but there is a John Petrucci guitar with a Floyd on it... O_O

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/jp16

On another note, I was unable to see the 7-string models on the site. Are all of the 7-string models discontinued, or are they just not shown on the site?

Another question about Ernie Ball guitars, what are your thoughts, then, on the lower-grade model's trem? Is it still just as good as a Floyd or should I just look elsewhere?

https://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/jp70

In Canada they go for just above $2K (taxes included).

EDIT: Oh?! As it turns out, they're saying a bit of Vaseline on both the nut slots and the saddles should do it. O.O

WintermintP

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  20. Radau

Radau Bongoloid

They exist they just don't show up. Just go into configurations and select 7 string