Janus by Charlie Munro (free modern metal album!)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Random3, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Random3

Random3 SS.org Regular

Hi guys!

Very excited today as I have finally released online a project that has taken me 3 years to complete. The album was 100% a one-man show (apart from the artwork) and it has been a great learning experience. The album was mixed in what is essentially a bedroom (although there is no bed in it) in my house.

As this is the recording forum, I'll write a little bit about the production and recording process.
    The guitar used for all of the recording was one of my Ibanez Prestige RG2570Zs. The guitar has DiMarzio Crunch Lab and LiquiFire pickups, and was either tuned to CGCFAD or AGCFAD depending on the song. The bass was my Ibanez SR305, tuned to either CEADG or AEADG depending on the song. All guitars and bass were run through my Kemper. Most of the rhythms are double tracked, but occasionally there is some quad tracking.

All drums were written and fully humanised by hand with Superior Drummer. I do not own, nor can I play, an electric drum kit so this was done entirely by hand. The muiltitracks were then printed and treated from then on as if they had been recorded live.

The vocals were recorded using an SM57. They were double tracked, and occasionally quad tracked for some parts.

The keyboards were either played on a MIDI keyboard or programmed in by hand. I am not a keyboard player, so mainly this was a writing tool. All synths were created using plugins that are preinstalled with Pro Tools 11. The one exception to this is the strings, which I outsourced and had them printed through one of the EastWest libraries.

If you want to check out the album in full, here's a link to the album stream on YouTube:

If you want to download it for free, visit my Bandcamp:
    https://charliemunro.bandcamp.com/album/janus

So yeah, any questions and I'll be happy to answer. If you want me to check out your song or album drop me a link to your thread and I'll check it out. Thanks for your time, hope you enjoy my album!

DaybridgeGhost likes this.
  2. DaybridgeGhost

DaybridgeGhost SS.org Regular

Listening right now, that sounds intense! Definitely enjoying the vibe here.

3. Random3

Random3 SS.org Regular

@DaybridgeGhost glad you are enjoying it!

The goal was definitely to make a slamming modern metal album that could fit alongside my favourites. Thanks for your comment!

4. 92guitarguy

92guitarguy SS.org Regular

Ha, I finally can remember. We did a Miss May I cover together a long long time ago :D Nice to see you're making your own music now too. I really enjoy the fat guitar tone. Have to listen through completely when I have time.

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Hey man -- I just wanted to drop by and say great job on this album! I haven't listened to the whole thing, but what I have listened to is polished, precise, and sounds professional. I have to admit that the "modern" metal thing is not my cup of tea, so I normally wouldn't listen to something like this. But I do recognize the effort you put into this and to me it sounds on-par with anything else in the subgenre in terms of quality. At the very least you deserve a congrats for pulling off a whole album solo -- a task I'm currently wallowing in so I can appreciate the amount of work it takes. Again, nice job!

6. Random3

Random3 SS.org Regular

@92guitarguy ah yas I remember! That was a good few years ago now... good to know you are still around!

@KailM thanks for the post, great to hear that it sounds on-par with similar material as this was the goal! Thanks for checking it out!

7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

@Random3 sounds fantastic man! I want to pick your brain a little on how you mixed this. I love the sound. My band plays a different genre but I could really stand to learn more about the recording process. We just posted a 4 song demo last night to have something available, but need to bring it up to another level for an album release.
    *shameless plug*
    https://aphelionofficial.bandcamp.com/releases
    If you (or anyone) care to listen and give some input on the mix, I'm all ears. But maybe just through PM so I'm not threadjacking.

8. Random3

Random3 SS.org Regular

@DudeManBrother sure, only thing is I am currently without Wi-Fi at home meaning I can't stream your stuff until that gets sorted. If you have any questions about my stuff feel free to PM me and I will answer as best I can!

DudeManBrother likes this.
  9. Random3

Random3 SS.org Regular

Just uploaded a guitar playthrough of the first track:

Crundles likes this.