Jackson WR7 vs Schecter JL 7 FR

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Thrusher, Feb 5, 2019.

What guitar would you choose for metal?

1. Jackson WR7 (Dave Davidson)

59.3%
  2. Schecter JL 7 FR (Jeff Loomis)

40.7%
  1. Thrusher

Thrusher New Member

Hey guys!

I am looking for my first 7 string guitar with FR. I can't live with out Floyd Rose :)
    I don't know what guitar is better Schecter JL 7 FR (new version) or Jackson WR7.

Jackson have amazing Warrior look but I found no information about quality of this guitar.
    Some on you said that Pro series from Indonesia have QC issues.
    On the other hand Schecter is great too. I play metal but I like playing really on clean.

What guitar would you prefer? Maybe you have one of those and can share your opinion?

ps. sry for bad English. I will improve this in time :)

2. Iron1

Iron1 Old School Blacksmith

I'd select "other" and state I'd have to play them both. My gut would lead me toward the Jackson, but either one could have a blemish or QC issue that puts you off. If you have the ability, sit and play 'em both, then decide.

XPT707FX likes this.
  3. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

Another thing that I've found is that body shape correlates with your own body shape. If you're a big dude, most shapes work. If you're smaller however, never go for big body shapes.

That being said, never held the Jackson, but the Schecter is a solid piece of working gear, used to have one myself. Wasn't fond of the quality of the tuners, but it was decent. I do think they are quite pricey. Jackson Pro series as well, but better value for the price.

4. Desolate1

Desolate1 SS.org Regular

I have the WR7 and it is an awesome guitar. The only issue mine has is a minor cosmetic issue where a small spec of body paint leaked onto the neck. It does not affect how the guitar plays and is only visible if you really stare at the guitar at a certain angle. The two guitars you are looking at are quite different. The WR7 is a extreme shape, mahogany body, maple neck through with a 25.5" scale. The JL-7 is a strat shape, ash body, maple set neck with a 26.5" scale. If you are looking to tune much lower then standard I would lean toward the JL-7 or any guitar with an extended scale. I tune my two standard scale 7's to A# and my 26.5" scale 7's to G#.

5. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I don't have any Schecter experience, but I'll co-sign the WR7 being a great guitar. Only downside to me is I don't like flattop WRs/KEs/KVs/etc just from a comfort standpoint. I don't think it's terrible on a WR, just because there my arm hits isn't like the worst position, but I still prefer the normal beveled edges. I've played a couple though and been really surprised by how nice they were. If there wasn't a Custom Shop version out there (that I'm determined to hunt down eventually) I'd have bought one by now. I've seen some for pretty good prices used lately too.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Do you want one of the raddest 7 strings ever, or a more traditional shape?

Specs like material and scale length are up to you. Quality will be solid on both so I say WR seven on looks alone since I don’t tune below B standard anyways.

7. Thrusher

Thrusher New Member

Thanks guys for the answers! I am unable to test those guitars that's why I must rely on opinions.
    For shape I am used to play Jackson Randy Rhoards USA from 1991 for like 10 years now.
    I think Warrior for this would be more comfortable that strat but I don't have any guitar shop that have any of those guitars.

For the tuning I did't decided yet in what tunings I will be playing but bands I want to cover are Nevermore, Obscura, Trivium, Alluvial.

2:3 for Jackson. I thought more people would like Schecter JL here :)
    Guys I want to really thank you all for your opinions!

8. FetzEgemony

FetzEgemony SS.org Regular

i don't have any experience with the WR7, but i have experience with the warrior shape, and i have to say that , despite the look, it's a very comfortable guitar! both when playing standing / sitting and in classical position.

that being said, i had a JL WR 7, the newer version and for the price i paid (you can find used one pretty chep on the internet) it was an AMAZING guitar. i ended up selling it because i was "not really feeling it", but man, that was a very big mistake i did.

also, as far as i know you have to consider the Jackson is a 25,5 scale while the Schecter is 26,5.
    that's the reason i didn't pulled the trigger on the wr7 yet. can't really enjoy 25,5scale guitars anymore

9. Jujex

Jujex SS.org Regular

Played both, Jackson 100%. I'd own one by now if I it wasn't for some car troubles this past year.

10. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

Wr7 doesn’t have bevels, my only complaint about most guitars...

Mathemagician likes this.
  11. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

JL7 for longer scale, maple fretboard and stainless steel frets. Also, if you want to carry the WR7 around, its case will probably be substantially larger than that of a superstrat like the JL7.